Gingerbread or Icecream

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Does anyone know at this point if the EVO will get Gingerbread or will it end up getting Ice Cream Sandwitch? It's probably unlikely that the EVO will get Gingerbread before the EVO 3D is released. If the EVO doesn't get Gingerbread (or Ice Cream) before my first phone upgrade discount in December, my next phone will be whatever the Next Nexus/Google phone is, since they always get the latest OS updates first.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Im pretty sure the Evo will get GB by or right around the release of the 3D. There is already a leaked official version floating around. I doubt the hardware will support ICSandwich.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think we should see GB by this summer or the latest by early fall.
With ICS I think the Q1 or 2 of next year just because it isn't going to be released until the end of this year.

Now after Ice Cream it will be hard to tell if the Evo will get anymore upgrades. It will almost be 2 years old and with how fast the market is moving with advancement in technology the EVO might become "old". But that is what I'm thinking.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Ok. Well that tells me what my next phone upgrade will be. Google. They always get the updates first. Thanks. One would think a phone on a two year contract would support the OS upgrades for two years. I guess that only works with the Google branded phones.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
its actually the OS supporting the phone for an upgrade, and from the scuttlebut Google is talking about supporting newer (not sure what thier definition of newer is) devices for at least 18 months worth of upgrades. Technology is jumping by leaps and bounds, its the carrier contracts that stops us (most people anyway) from getting the latest and greatest phone. The only Google phone i wanted to get my hands on was the OG Nexus, other than that im happy with my carrier options and i do run Custom ROMs so it doesnt matter either way, i can run the latest SW whenever Devs release it. A lot of us are running CM7 with 2.3 or a custom version of the 2.3 with Sense leaked ROM. Your phone has way more potential than what the carrier/manufaturer allows. Just have to take it to the next level

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to root and rom this thing, but I've heard that rooting involves wiping everything off the phone and that is too much of a pain for me to deal with right now. I need every single app and contact I have on the phone at this time, plus as I haven't had it that long (December, 2010), I don't need to lose the warranty at this time. I may just get the Nexus S at my first upgrade, or just wait till next year to see what the next Google phone will be like.

CaptGeno

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to root and rom this thing, but I've heard that rooting involves wiping everything off the phone and that is too much of a pain for me to deal with right now. I need every single app and contact I have on the phone at this time, plus as I haven't had it that long (December, 2010), I don't need to lose the warranty at this time. I may just get the Nexus S at my first upgrade, or just wait till next year to see what the next Google phone will be like.

If you root with unrevoked...you dont need to wipe, only if you flash a rom, plus your contacts get backed up with your gmail, and if you want to back up your apps you can use app brain or titanium backup :)

Sent from my Evo :)

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I should probably count my blessings that I got Froyo on my EVO at purchase, last December. Having to wait for a Froyo update would've been a pain. But if Google follows the same release schedule as the Nexus S, we could be looking at a new Nexus phone in December, which is when my first upgrade is due. If however, we can get Gingerbread before December, I won't be in any rush to upgrade. I'll be able to wait for whatever the next Nexus, will be.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
If you root with unrevoked...you dont need to wipe, only if you flash a rom, plus your contacts get backed up with your gmail, and if you want to back up your apps you can use app brain or titanium backup :)

Wait, so I can root without wiping? If that's the case, I'd rather root after getting Gingerbread.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

You can use Apps like MyBackup to save your apps, and contacts should sync to Gmail, if they arent you can export them to the SD card. HTC doesnt have a Manuf warranty directly, they send you to the carrier so if you have TEP youre covered as Sprint doenst have a policy against root devices. Tech/Store level policy may vary.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
You can use Apps like MyBackup to save your apps, and contacts should sync to Gmail, if they arent you can export them to the SD card. HTC doesnt have a Manuf warranty directly, they send you to the carrier so if you have TEP youre covered as Sprint doenst have a policy against root devices. Tech/Store level policy may vary.

My phone insurance is under Best Buy. I dunno if they have a policy against rooting, but if Sprint doesn't, then that is the main thing that kept me from even considering rooting. I'll wait until after they give us the Gingerbread update to root. Then I may actually wait the two years out for a bigger discount at upgrade time.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site

You can only use Titanium to back up your phone after its rooted, is that correct? If that's so, then its still a pain in the rear to restore your phone.
Now mentioned, I think its a major flaw in the android system that you have to root your phone to get anywhere near a full phone/system backup. Android themselves should have a full system backup app.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You can only use Titanium to back up your phone after its rooted, is that correct? If that's so, then its still a pain in the rear to restore your phone.
Now mentioned, I think its a major flaw in the android system that you have to root your phone to get anywhere near a full phone/system backup. Android themselves should have a full system backup app.
That is correct, but you can use Z4Root to give you temp root so you can use Titanium or any other app that needs root so you can backup your phone. Z4Root doesn't give full root because you need Nand unlock. Also, once you reboot your phone root is gone. Just how it works.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know at this point if the EVO will get Gingerbread or will it end up getting Ice Cream Sandwitch? It's probably unlikely that the EVO will get Gingerbread before the EVO 3D is released. If the EVO doesn't get Gingerbread (or Ice Cream) before my first phone upgrade discount in December, my next phone will be whatever the Next Nexus/Google phone is, since they always get the latest OS updates first.

Yes, the EVO should be getting Gingerbread. There is a leaked build of it from 911sniper. Tmartin from XDA cooked up a flashable ROM of it. It's Android version 2.3.3 but still Sense 1.0 or 1.1 or something like that. ROM runs great, just had a brightness issue. Suppose that's why its marked as a test build...lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My phone insurance is under Best Buy. I dunno if they have a policy against rooting, but if Sprint doesn't, then that is the main thing that kept me from even considering rooting. I'll wait until after they give us the Gingerbread update to root. Then I may actually wait the two years out for a bigger discount at upgrade time.

The thing with rooting is that companies don't necessarily care, they just would rather you not. Reason being, and I can see where there coming from, is that if you root you could possibly brick your phone if you don't follow directions or have a clue as to what your doing. They don't want to have to keep replacing devices that the user messes up. They have no problem fixing it/replacing it if the problem is with the software that came with the phone (unrooted). Secondly, how would the techs know how to work on a custom ROM if they didn't build it? Now don't get wrong....
rooting DOES completely void your manufacture warranty, but it DOES NOT void your insurance. That's there for physical damage, changing software can't physically hurt your phone. Unless of course your running your CPU at its max speed for hours without letting it or your battery cool down. I've also seen a specific kernel type that stops the 10% battery drop after you take the phone off of the charger. Sounds great, but a lot of people have said that it eventually thrashed the battery life completely. Other than that, root it and discover the true power of this OS. :-D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ynotw57

May 15, 2011
Visit site
GB probably

I have a good feeling HTC will want to push more of its new phones (Shift, 3D, even the tablet), so gingerbread will most likely be the go-to. ICS will live on elsewhere. I've only had my Evo since August '10, and it's already becoming obsolete, yet Sprint hasn't given its 4G capability in full yet. Le sigh. Chances are by the time my contract runs out, the 3D will probably be obsolete, too. haha!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm also thinking the EVO 4G with Gingerbread will hold me over until 2012. I doubt we'll get ICS but it would be nice. By 2012, hopefully the 3D will drop in price or I'll just get the next EVO after that. My guess is the EVO 4G will last as long as the iphone 3G/3GS will last. It will drop in price and people will still buy it. It's still a good phone.

I have a good feeling HTC will want to push more of its new phones (Shift, 3D, even the tablet), so gingerbread will most likely be the go-to. ICS will live on elsewhere. I've only had my Evo since August '10, and it's already becoming obsolete, yet Sprint hasn't given its 4G capability in full yet. Le sigh. Chances are by the time my contract runs out, the 3D will probably be obsolete, too. haha!

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I went from CM6 to CM7 a few weeks ago. I just checked to my surprise my phone has Gingerbread (2.3.3.). Other then the phone being smoother which I thing is more of a CM7 thing than gingerbread, I have not noticed any difference.

Gingerbread is not really a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol