Market downloads and web browsing painfully SLOW, and it's NOT the network

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
As the title states, any web browsing and market downloads are ridiculously slow. My browser's homepage is the mostly blank Google site, and it takes the device about 25 seconds just to load that site.

This device is a refurbished one which is only about 3 days old or so. When I first picked it up, I noticed issues downloading from the market, but I was made aware that the market was having some issues. Just to demonstrate what's going on, here's a case in point. Yesterday I downloaded the Flash 10.3 update. It took my phone just about 15 minutes to download the file. Curious to see if it WAS the network, I grabbed my sisters Shift and downloaded the same update. Her's was done and installed in less than 3 minutes. The phones were in the same room, signal strength was exactly the same. Several times throughout the day, I downloaded identical apps to both the devices, and each time hers would finish MUCH SOONER than mine. It took her phone about a minute to download a 5mb file, where my phone takes about 10 minutes. I was not in any location that I haven't been in before, and signal strength wasn't an issue for either phone. So I don't believe it's a network issue at all.

I have already wiped the device several times to eliminate the possibility of an app causing this issue, but this is not the case. Before I go running off to the Sprint store (again), are there any hidden settings that I don't know about? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance!

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what you are talking about. My EVO is fast and my wife's is experiencing the exactly same thing that you are. I tried updating her Data Profile and did a bandwidth test using the Speedtest app and it tested faster than mine but the Market is extremely slow to download apps and updates on her phone. Clearing the cache and data on the Market app helped somewhat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what you are talking about. My EVO is fast and my wife's is experiencing the exactly same thing that you are. I tried updating her Data Profile and did a bandwidth test using the Speedtest app and it tested faster than mine but the Market is extremely slow to download apps and updates on her phone. Clearing the cache and data on the Market app helped somewhat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I tried clearing the cache and data as you suggested, but it didn't help. I'm more convinced there's a problem with the phone itself. I had a couple customers over the last couple of days with Evo phones. As a favor, I had both phones pull up the same random app from the market, and started the downloads at the same time. Mine just crawled while the others downloaded pretty quickly. It's not just the market either. Web browsing is also very slow, and I can't even stream YouTube videos because they just can't load fast enough,

I will just have to take the phone to Sprint (this will be replacement number 5) and see what they have to say. But thank you for your suggestions.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the op's device has some hardware problems that were not discovered

Send by my Android

That would be my guess as well. No, I'm not tethering. I will be going to the Sprint store tomorrow morning to see what they have to say on the matter.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Sprint wont throttle, they will send a "we will cancel you if you continue using as much data" letters that have been mentioned in a couple of different threads. Its probably something in the hardware. Is it also slow on wifi or 4G if you have coverage?

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint wont throttle, they will send a "we will cancel you if you continue using as much data" letters that have been mentioned in a couple of different threads. Its probably something in the hardware. Is it also slow on wifi or 4G if you have coverage?

I don't have 4G in my area, and I honestly didn't try using WiFi to see if it made a difference. I took it in to Sprint this morning, and a replacement phone has been ordered. At first the tech was trying to convince me there was nothing wrong with the device. I told him to TRY and stream a YouTube video, which of course didn't work. He then took out his own EVO and had both phones download the same app. His took all of 5 seconds, where as mine took almost a minute. THEN he finally agreed to order me a replacement device. Here's hoping!

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
when i flashed to a new rom this is what helped me, i don't know if it'll work for you or not but it worked for me

go to market download ad free

run it then try doing whatever on browser

but i think you have to be rooted to use it

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
when i flashed to a new rom this is what helped me, i don't know if it'll work for you or not but it worked for me

go to market download ad free

run it then try doing whatever on browser

but i think you have to be rooted to use it

I think it's finally time for me to think about the whole "rooting" thing, because I'm a complete stranger to it. The market downloads and browsing issues somehow worked themselves out, but this particular device still has the habit of rebooting itself at random, the camera takes very blurry shots, and I just found out earlier that the headphone jack isn't working properly. So yeah...I will patiently wait the arrival of the replacement unit from Sprint....THEN I will start looking into rooting and custom roms.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it's finally time for me to think about the whole "rooting" thing, because I'm a complete stranger to it. The market downloads and browsing issues somehow worked themselves out, but this particular device still has the habit of rebooting itself at random, the camera takes very blurry shots, and I just found out earlier that the headphone jack isn't working properly. So yeah...I will patiently wait the arrival of the replacement unit from Sprint....THEN I will start looking into rooting and custom roms.

Man, you won't regret it. Rooting gave by EVO a new breath of life. It runs so much faster and is far more stable than when I pulled it out of the box. If you don't have to give Sprint your current EVO you should root it and get some practice in before you get your new one.

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Man, you won't regret it. Rooting gave by EVO a new breath of life. It runs so much faster and is far more stable than when I pulled it out of the box. If you don't have to give Sprint your current EVO you should root it and get some practice in before you get your new one.

+1 i was always rooted, but i never flashed a custom rom, until a couple weeks ago

i really like myns warm rom, and how much better the battery life is, and you keep all vital programs like the visual voicemail app

i also like how it keeps htc sense with a little theme and color scheme.

once you root you should check out rom manager, but always remember to make a backup of your device

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
+1 i was always rooted, but i never flashed a custom rom, until a couple weeks ago

i really like myns warm rom, and how much better the battery life is, and you keep all vital programs like the visual voicemail app

i also like how it keeps htc sense with a little theme and color scheme.

once you root you should check out rom manager, but always remember to make a backup of your device

I do like ROM manager, though once I got used to Amon_RA I swear by it. I just think it gives you a bit better control inside of recovery, not hating on Clockwork by any means...just a personal preference. Warm 2.2 is very nice, loved it when I was running it. If your looking to try out a different ROM, give Vaelpak 3.2 RC2. I can't say enough about how much I love this ROM. He has taking so much of Sense away while leaving the core elements (visual voice mail) to give it that extra something that shoots it over the top. Oh, and the bloatware...so easy to remove on this ROM, simple as 4 taps. Anyway...I could go on all-day about it, but I think you get the idea. Happy ROM hunting. :)

leo1977

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So, i had a very similar problem after updating my prl. a few weeks ago. I called sprint, they worked with me, did this and that, bla bla bla... nothing worked. I looked and found this over at android forums -
[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g - Android Forums This fix worked for some and not so much for others. but, about the eight post down updating in a specific order was brought up. Update prl, then profile = much better (as much as 75% better). My speeds have been good for two days now. Hopefully if your issue has not been resolved this may help.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So, i had a very similar problem after updating my prl. a few weeks ago. I called sprint, they worked with me, did this and that, bla bla bla... nothing worked. I looked and found this over at android forums -
[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g - Android Forums This fix worked for some and not so much for others. but, about the eight post down updating in a specific order was brought up. Update prl, then profile = much better (as much as 75% better). My speeds have been good for two days now. Hopefully if your issue has not been resolved this may help.

The phone has been replaced, and all seems to be well again. 2 days with no issues at all, but I will definitely keep your link bookmarked, in case this should happen again. Thanks though!