Is it stupid to buy an Evo now?

kevinmizzou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes you become a premier customer, but silver can only update to a new phone after 22 months, gold after 12. I just didn't want you to expect to be able to upgrade in one year.

Oh, I think I follow: It would take me 6 months to become a Gold customer (based on my plan), and then it would be another 12 months from THAT before I could upgrade?

So, I'd be looking at 18 months before my first upgrade (assuming my plan stayed consistent)?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried to port netflix to my tv but I could not get it to work. Have you actually tried this yet?

I have successfully ported Netflix to my TV. You need to use Full HDMI or HDMwIn (both available on the market) to mirror your screen on a TV. The stock Netflix app does not presently support the HDMI port natively.

Reactions: Biggnaa20

kevinmizzou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Whats wrong with the EPIC? Sure it has a physical keyboard but i never slide it out and use it.
I had an EVO for 6 months and now that i have an EPIC i am only look at my EVO to keep the software updated as a back up device.
I my self do miss the larger screen size but i like the higher quiality and brighter colors of the EPIC Super AMOLED as well as the speedier processor.
Compare them side by side. Most sprint stores should have a display EVO and EPIC.
Dont take what i am saying as a basch to EVO. It is a good device.

I think it's a pretty awesome device to be honest. But, like you, I doubt I'd ever use the keyboard. I feel like that's a waste then, especially seeing the keyboard adds a little extra bulk... though that's only in depth since it's a little narrower and less heavy than the Evo.....

I'd rather have a slimmer device... especially since I'm a little rough on my phones and would likely add a case... adding even more depth to the Epic.

wallyrulz

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I think I follow: It would take me 6 months to become a Gold customer (based on my plan), and then it would be another 12 months from THAT before I could upgrade?

So, I'd be looking at 18 months before my first upgrade (assuming my plan stayed consistent)?

It will take six months if you have been a sprint customer for 9 1/2 years. It takes ten years as a sprint customer to be a gold premiere member.

pjkingphd#WN

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I promise I'm not trying to be a smart a** but a quick question. I am so pleased with my Evo right now I can't imagine taking a chance on the new 3D right now even though my Evo 4G rates lower on the processor. What is it that the additional processor power earns you? What things will work better on the 3D or will be possible with the 3D but not the Evo 4G?

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
listen... here's what i think. i think the evo is an awesome phone. so awesome that i don't care about any upgrades that are coming... and it is the first phone that has fully met and surpassed my needs.

that said... it's a great phone... if you want it.. get it. people will tell you to wait and wait... but the thing with technology is that it is absolutely pointless to wait. while you wait for one thing.. other things are cooking up... and when you get what you waited for.. a couple months down the road something better will show up. thats how technology is. unstoppable.

buy what meets your needs, fits your budget, and makes you happy. done ;)

good luck! :)

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When you're locking yourself into a 2 year contract, consider the fact that the Evo will be 3-1/2 year old technology by the time you upgrade again. The Evo3D will be 22 month old technology.

Yes, the Evo holds it's own against anything right now, but in the interest of future proofing, it's not smart to by tech this old under a contract that duration. I bought an Evo in March on eBay to hold me over until my upgrade in January.

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Quick background: I'd be coming from AT&T where my service is pretty crappy. I'd also be coming from an iPhone. I recently tried Verizon, but the service was pretty bad in the places I use my phone most (home and work) - I tried a Thunderbolt. A buddy has Sprint and he gets great service at my office and he's got pretty good service when he comes over to my house. I'd consider Verizon again if Sprint doesn't work out because Verizon still gave me better coverage than AT&T.

Of the high-end Android phones out now for Sprint, the Evo has my eye the most. I do not care for a hardware keyboard (so the Epic & Shift are out) and I really want the option to have a SD care (so the Nexus S 4G is out). I know the Evo 3D is just around the corner. I don't care much for the 3D aspect, but the better display and faster processor makes me think it would be stupid to buy the Evo now. My main concern about the 3D would be the battery life.

I would have a service plan high enough to make me a premier customer so I could upgrade in a year, but I'm worried the Evo would be a terrible buy now, especially if it doesn't get Sense 2.0 and Gingerbread.

On the plus side, I can get the Evo 4G from Amazon right now for $120. I'm assuming the 3D will cost $200 if not more...

Am I better to just wait?

if you can wait about a month or less I would get the EVO 3D if I were you

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes you become a premier customer, but silver can only update to a new phone after 22 months, gold after 12. I just didn't want you to expect to be able to upgrade in one year.

I'm sure someone already broke this down for you but if you have a plan that is $89.99/month you qualify for Gold

http://premier.sprint.com/#/qualify

qualifications.jpg

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on what you plan on using the phone for. If the 3D interests you and you want to do a lot of gaming, then get the 3D. If you not, the EVO is an awesome choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dustojnikhummer