Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC Supersonic, things to consider...

    What would make you guys come to this device and/or make you not come to it?

    Being the guy who has had 6 different cell phones in the past year, I am tempted by the "specs" of the SS... but being on the BB Tour right now, I am finding it difficult to give up the hard keyboard again (I went to the HTC Hero, and the Sense compact Qwerty was usable but lagged enough to make it frustrating).

    I think HD2 sized screen might make the KB issue moot... but I want to know what people think about the device overall.
  2. #2  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I'll probably jump on board for this one. I have the Hero now. I didn't exactly choose the Hero because I wanted the Hero, I chose the Hero because I didn't want my Pre (went through too many of those). It'd be interesting, though, if this phone is not available in all markets due to a possible 4G card. Personally, I like sense UI. I actually only use 5 pages of the 7, so I guess I could get by with the N1. The Hero has done me good and I really like it, but as you say, it has its limitations. Right now, the only way mine is fast is with the Gumbo Kernel. I was planning on splitting from the family plan I'm on in the summer anyway (no reason to still be on the parent's even if the price savings are significant, I can afford $70 a month on my own)
    As of right now, no cities in the state of Florida are 4G. However, I would imagine that the city I'm moving to would get it soon (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area) since its a metro area. If they are going to charge more for it though, it isn't something I need.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I have the Nexus One now, but I am seriously interested in the Supersonic. Mainly for two reasons. 1) Wife and I can be on the same family plan with one bill (im on Tmo now). 2) Better and more reliable 3G speeds with Sprint in my area. This is based on my wife's Pre. And whenever Memphis gets Wimax, then that's just icing on the cake.

    I love my Nexus One but the stability and speed of 3G is not what it should be for this type of phone. I still don't know if this is because of the phone or carrier or both, my suspicion is both but weighted on the phone side.

    So with hopefully better data speed, same processor, bigger screen, same plan as wife and Sense UI (with maybe the option of turning it off); i may just get it.

    My three drawbacks are I like not having a carrier contract right now, not sure if I want Sense UI on my phone permanently, and faster updates with stock Android. Hell, there is always the Nexus One on Sprint.
  4. #4  

    Default

    All I know is that if this SuperSonic phones comes ( or when it comes ) to Sprint it better live up to the hype! Or it will be just another phone that tried too hard to change or improve the smartphone segment...I hope it lives up to the hype!
  5. #5  

    Default

    I'm torn between both. I have the Hero and don't have many complaints.

    I like the fact that the Nexus One will get speedy updates, don't like the issues I've been reading about.

    The Supersonic sounds sweet and being a traveler I'll get to use 4g.

    I guess for me it depends on which is the first to release. I like my Hero but after 5 months I'm ready for something more.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Is anyone miffed this thing doesn't have a track ball/pad???

    I am hoping there is enough screen size to make up for it and accurate editing.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Any ideas of the cost of upgrading from the hero?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    if you got the Hero at discounted rate I would imagine full retail price since the Hero came out in the beginning of October.
  9. #9  

    Default Love my trackball

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Is anyone miffed this thing doesn't have a track ball/pad???

    I am hoping there is enough screen size to make up for it and accurate editing.
    Ooh, I haven't even looked into that. I don't care what anybody else says, I like my trackball on the Nexus One. It's invaluable for text editing, select all, copy cut & paste, and has come in very handy for clicking on small buttons and links in web pages as opposed to having to do a super-zoom on what i need to click on.

    The one thing tempting me to root and flash a rom on my phone is to get multi color notifications for the trackball.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    yep, I used the Hero track ball all the time for controlled scrolling and link selecting. I hope it isn't a deal killer for my use.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Lack of a track ball/pad doesn't bother me, don't use it on my Hero so probably wouldn't miss it. Plus with a 4.7 inch screen you'll have plenty of space to hit links and stuff
  12. #12  
    Apollo3T's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    ROM
    ics-deck w/ Mason v0.14

    Default

    4.3" screen

    This is most likely going to be my next phone. I've heard some interesting rumors but we'll see next week.
  13. #13  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I hope HTC doesn't skimp out on LED notification colors. Kinda odd having the only series of HTC android devices and only two colors for notifications, green and orange.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I just got to play with the HD2 right near a t-mobile by my job (guys were cool enough to bring it out and let me use it). That screen is ridiculous! Cutting and pasting does not seem like its going to be an issue what so ever.

    The thing is awesome, great weight to it and felt durable as ever. If the supersonic is just like this HD2, which its supposed to be, I can not wait! I own a BB Tour now, love it, but man was that thing fast! Multimedia galore and with 4g speeds plus Android 2.1....this thing sounds legendary hahaha
  15. #15  

    Default

    I will buy it as long as it supports Exchange ActiveSync for mail and calendar. I have to assume it will but that would be one deal breaker for me and I believe for most business users.
    Last edited by deparson; 03-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Bye bye Palm Pre...Hello EVO!!! My Pre doesn't have a track ball so it's not an issue for me. I think it will be a lot easier placing a cursor with my fingertip on a larger screen.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Demos show cursor navigation arrows under the OSK. If they work well, then I can handle no trackball.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    I will buy it as long as it supports Exchange ActiveSync for mail and calendar. I have to assume it will but that would be one deal breaker for me and I believe for most business users.
    Do you have an Android phone that can support it today? I'm not sure where Android 2.1 sits, but with 1.5 there is no way that my company will allow an Android phone to sync with Exchange. I forget if that is the security component or if there isn't the ability to remote wipe the phone. Can someone verify that for me?

    This security stuff has been beaten into my head WAY too much.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GolpherZX View Post
    Do you have an Android phone that can support it today? I'm not sure where Android 2.1 sits, but with 1.5 there is no way that my company will allow an Android phone to sync with Exchange. I forget if that is the security component or if there isn't the ability to remote wipe the phone. Can someone verify that for me?

    This security stuff has been beaten into my head WAY too much.
    It's both. Exchange sync on 1.5 needs a permission set server side that most Admin's won't approve, and there is no remote wipe capability.

    I haven't been able to check but I believe HTC fixed the first issue with 2.1. No idea about remote wipe though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...my days of needing EAS are done
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  20. #20  

    Default

    I was drooling over the Supersonic before the announcement the other day. Now I'm nearly 100% positive this will be my next phone. I've been on SERO for the last three years and I've said repeatedly that Sprint can pry that plan from my cold dead hands. This will probably be the phone to get me jump, and that's saying a lot. I've passed on the Hero, Moment, and Pre because I didn't want to pay more for my service, but I think this is finally worth it.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    I was drooling over the Supersonic before the announcement the other day. Now I'm nearly 100% positive this will be my next phone. I've been on SERO for the last three years and I've said repeatedly that Sprint can pry that plan from my cold dead hands. This will probably be the phone to get me jump, and that's saying a lot. I've passed on the Hero, Moment, and Pre because I didn't want to pay more for my service, but I think this is finally worth it.
    Ok... That's impressive cause I know you CHEAPOS :P won't give that up.

    Good times LGF, it'll be like the old days when we were the only people in Philly with the T300.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Haha, those were the days. When I did a serious double take when I would see anyone else with a Treo 270/300.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    I'm torn between both. I have the Hero and don't have many complaints.

    I like the fact that the Nexus One will get speedy updates, don't like the issues I've been reading about.

    The Supersonic sounds sweet and being a traveler I'll get to use 4g.

    I guess for me it depends on which is the first to release. I like my Hero but after 5 months I'm ready for something more.
    Something more as in an update above 1.5? lol I'm sickened by the lack of support for such a new device as the Hero. It's sad that I got the thing when it came to Sprint and we're still sitting on the oldest Android version. I love my Hero, but the EVO looks just sick. As long as the battery holds out.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Yeah the battery life is the only major spec that hasn't been talked about. I read it has a 1500 mah battery which is pretty big, but we don't know how that will translate to hours of usability.
  25. #25  

    Default

    As far as the track ball and no keyboard are concerned, I played with a HD2 which is the same size screen as the EVO, it was pretty simple to put the curse where I wanted and the on screen keyboard includes arrow keys (which is on the HD2 and on the evo) in case you miss it by a bit, after using a pre for so long this is a Godsend. They keyboard on the HD2 is also really responsive and from what I know about android, I can only assume it will be better on that platform. I'm kind of wondering if the sense UI on both of these phones will mean that the keyboards are the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B