1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo Rebooting Constantly

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It seems as though whenever my Evo is in a "dead spot" or constantly searching for a signal, it gets really hot and the phone goes into a rebooting stage which won't stop until I take the battery out and it 'cools down". It pisses me off because it always seems to happen when I need to use it the most. I took it to the Sprint store (and obviously couldn't duplicate the problem in the store) and the tech tried to tell me it is probably a "bad app" and has nothing to do with the "signal searching". I wanted to punch him in the face, but I held back...lol. But that is the only time this problem occurs. Now, do I have a "defective" phone or is there probably something else? I have searched other forums and they say a factory reset will not help the problem. I have had my Evo since two weeks after launch date last year and really Love this phone, but it is a hassle when your phone reboots 3-4 times a day. Please, any advice would be great.

I had same problem before it was my kernel. Did u just flash something rom kernel anything? If so I would flash something else even if not I would still do a fresh wipe and install.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No. My phone is not rooted.

Big surprise, your tech was clueless. I'm guessing he didn't even check known issues within Sprint's ASC site. Been there since Feb. You can test it yourself before going back to the store.

Issue Title:
    HTC EVO 4G (A9292) - Power cycle when CPU is under heavy load
    Posted Date:
    2/24/2011
    Issue Type:
    Known Issue

Action: Exchange (Waive Fee)
    If a customer come in reporting power cycling issues please complete the following steps:
    Turn on all radios (CDMA/EVDO, 4G, WiFi, and GPS).
    Charge the device using the OEM kitted charger (1 amp)
    Download and install "Neocore" application by "Adreno Graphics" from the Android Market (This application is provided by Qualcomm and is safe to install on a customers HTC EVO 4G)
    Launch the Neocore application then select Run->Interactive mode
    Monitor the device as it continues to run this video while charging for 30 min, if at any point the device power cycles please complete the following steps to determine warranty eligibility. Keep away from any fan or ventilation that may reduce the device temperature, the purpose is to stress the device in a warm state.
    If the device does NOT power cycle during this test, it is not impacted by this issue and should proceed thru the normal troubleshooting process.
    For device that power cycles during the above test:
    Inspect the device for liquid damage and/or severe physical abuse, if abuse is identified the device should be handled under normal process for DBR/Liquid damaged devices and is not covered under this waiver.
    DO NOT hard reset the device, leave the Neocore applicaiton on the device for additional testing at the warehouse.
    Create an eTicket on the device with the Complaint Type “Software Issues” and Complaint Detail “ID#11237-EVO Power Cycling”
    Place a label on the devices LCD with the following message "Power Cycle Issue"
    Exchange the device for the customer at no cost.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I will give this a try.
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Yeah, some of the Sprint stores have idiots working in them as I had a known issue with my phone, and they didn't thought I did something to it. I was just about to lose my cool until my friend pulled me back.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Great info. Anytime a CDMA device is searching for signal its using a lot of battery power, which translates to heat, and thats something the EVO doesnt do well with.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Thanks for the info tndank. I've been having the heat & reboot issue for a while. It was awfully helpful having the information at hand.

That said, I had to make 2 trips. One this morning before work, where the technician didn't listen to a word I said about using the neocore app. I came back after an hour and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem, but they replaced the battery and oh, by the way maybe I shouldn't leave all the radios on all the time. Sigh.

I had to rush off to work so I just left it at that. Went to a different Sprint store after work, they, at least, were aware of the issue. Once the problem was identified, the technician, with great magnanimity, informed me there was a code that would "allow him not to charge me the $35". Wow, that's big of you fella.

So again, thanks for the information. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to do Sprints job for them!

I had the same problem. They couldn't find an issue and gave it back to me. As I was walking out of the store it started rebooting. The replaced it with a new phone.

So far this one has been great.

I find more and more people complaining about the level of service at so called service centers.
    Years ago when i managed one I always loved hearing the stories of new customers who came to me and i was able to help them. Being a real tech comes in handy. LOL
    Sprint needs to crack down on stores that are called service centers and do repairs or advanced exchanges. If you dont have a real, qualified technician, then your just a place to buy, activate or pay your phone bill and NOT a service and repair center.
    Dont mean to rant, but customers deserve better.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

I had the exact same problem this past November and I first went to a large Sprint Store that did service and all they did was do a factory data reset and hand me back the phone saying it was fixed (like I didn't already try that). I even brought a document explaining the dates that I had experienced the problem and what was the active app at the time of the reboot cycle (usually Sprint Navigation or Pandora). They ignored it.

A week later I went to a smaller Sprint store run by Adcomm Digitel and they only had the phone a few minutes before they had it reboot cycling and they had a replacement phone on order.

I even lucked out and got a new phone instead of a refurbished one because the warehouse that they dealt with were out of refurbs at the time.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I also had this issue in September. The Sprint store was not very helpful, as I could not recreate the problem for them. I called CS and explained the situation. They wanted to do a hard reset and all that standard stuff, which I explained had already been tried. She said that if that was the case, they would send me a replacement device. It was actually a very smooth experience. A few days later, I received a replacement EVO, and sent back the original one. I have had that "new" one since, and have not had the rebooting issue.

I know this has been (was) a problem for many people, so I would call CS and explain the problem, and see if they will send a replacement out. Just my two cents.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

no issue with that...i did get stuck in a force close loop once and had to do a hard reset.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Ok....after 3 trips to the Sprint store and going back and forth with telephone CS and HTC, Sprint finally agreed on just sending me a new one. Should have it in a couple of days. This has been such a headache. Thr phone was rebooting constantly yesterday and I was ready to throw it up against the wall...smh.