[Official] Gingerbread Update - Bugs, New Apps, etc.

Rudiepoo1

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've never used an SD card explorer to backup apps before so I'm not entirely sure about that. Did you just copy the .apks from the "/data/app" folder? The best way to backup your apps is with Titanium Backup...I would recommended going ahead and buying the pro key that goes with the free version. The paid version allows for batch backups instead of just one at a time. It also allows you to backup the apps data so you wont lose your progress on any games you might be playing. I'm not sure why the apps you reinstalled are able to be moved to the SD card now...quite odd. Might be best to just uninstall them all and just reinstall them from the market. Of course, it could be fixed by a simple factory reset from inside the ROM. If all of that fails, just wipe everything inside of recovery and do a fresh install of the ROM...that should clear up Amy problems.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips, the only issue is I could do the factory reset but a majority of my programs that could be copied over to the SD were, meaning after the factory reset the programs are still on the SD card therefore I could still have the same issues. What are the files that are needed on the SD card aside from the Gingerbread update and the combo radio update zips?

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, the only issue is I could do the factory reset but a majority of my programs that could be copied over to the SD were, meaning after the factory reset the programs are still on the SD card therefore I could still have the same issues. What are the files that are needed on the SD card aside from the Gingerbread update and the combo radio update zips?

Hmm....I have an idea, but have one quick question. What recovery are you using?

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Using Ra I believe....

Alright, cool deal. This might take a minute to do and might not be the mist pleasant thing to do, but hopefully it will rid you of your problem.

1. Write down all the apps you want to reinstall. Also make sure to sync all your contacts with your Google account and anything that needs to be sync along those lines.

2. Move all the files you don't want to lose off your SD card onto your computer. Then wipe your SD card.

3. Place the Gingerbread and radio updates onto the SD card.

4. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid before doing anything else. Then proceed with a full wipe and fresh install of the ROM.

After it boots and you log in and everything you should be good to go as far as being able to move apps to the SD card now. To update your radios, just boot into recovery...wipe Cache & Dalvik Cache...then flash the radio zip. Follow the on screen instructions and you should be good to go. Oh, after it finishes its last step you'll be brought back to the main menu of recovery. At the bottom of the screen it'll say "formatting cache..." , don't worry about that. Just wait for about until you can navigate the menu with the volume rocker. Once you can,reboot the system and your done. If your experiencing slow data speeds after the update, make sure to update your profile and PRL inside of system updates. Hope that all made sense. :)

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This is my issue since after the GB update and the patch:

1. The Green HTC logo coming up when low on memory (many of spoken about this).

My wife's EVO does not have nearly as many apps as mine. Her phone freezes/locks up and reboots on its own. Sometimes, it gets warm/hot before it does this. I took the phone to a Sprint store and was told the Lookout app was causing the issues and I need to uninstall it. I use Lookout on my EVO, have 3 times as many apps and my phone acts "right" with Lookout. I understand that electronics can act different, but sometimes it seems some store reps and technicians will give strange reasons to keep from actually diagnosing a phone problem.

This same technician told me that the phone needs at least 190MB Available in order to operate, or these freezes and shutdowns can happen. I showed him my phone with only 150MB available, and was told that my phone would start freezing until I deleted some apps, starting with Lookout.

What I did was to clear the cache on all apps, move all apps I could to the SD card and then restart the phone. The phone shows 170MB available and seems to be running better. However, this is about the same MB as BEFORE I removed Lookout.

And finally, why is LOOKOUT in the Sprint Zone recommended apps, if the technicians are telling people to uninstall it. This isn't the first time a technician has blamed an Android App that Sprint has featured.

WickedGirl

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
HTC Evo 4G....been using Lookout for months with no problems. The problem I have with my Evo is all Sprint's fault. They disabled the wireless N radio with the Gingerbread update.

Chilin#AC

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying to work with the GB update and while it does have some improvements, the negatives outweigh the positives.

GB KILLS MULTITASKING! Rarely can I go from browsing a webpage and back to the home page without HTC SENSE restarting and then having the webpage have to reload. Happens while checking sms, email and other apps. I would go back to FROYO in a second if I could, arghhh.

Oh, and I have the most minimal apps on my phone, all on the sd card, it's not an app issue.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody had any luck getting the store to revert their phone back to Froyo? I heard that only the stores can do it, and only with HTC's approval or something...

vetorama

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am sure they are going to dc the EVO soon, so they screwed it up to make everyone have to buy something new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree that Lookout is running well on my device and my wife's device. They ran fine before GB, so why not AFTER GB?

My local Sprint Technician tells me the phone needs 190MB free to operate and that "if" my phone has less and has not locked up, it "will" sooner or later.

How can Sprint/HTC fix this? IMHO:

1. Allow users to delete ANY program pre-loaded that they do not want. Android is billed as open, and not being able to delete Blockbuster, Amazon Kindle,Nova, Sprint Hotspot, etc. when I don't need them takes up space.

2. Look to the development community as there are many STABLE GB ROMS out there.

My previous EVO was rooted and running fine using a Custom GB Rom. The USB port stopped working, so my replacement phone came with GB. I am waiting on a root solution.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the gb update and the only problem I have is sense keeps reloading. how can I fix this or is there another gb update coming soon?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
With that problem, there isn't much you could do. A few phones will have this problem while others don't.

However, you could clear data and / or cache or"force stop sense." This did the trick for me with my previous phone. (Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage applications - All.)

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I installed the update about a week ago. No issues at all. In fact, it improved the bluetooth connection. I had been having troubles getting it to connect each day, now it works flawlessly.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
With that problem, there isn't much you could do. A few phones will have this problem while others don't.

However, you could clear data and / or cache or"force stop sense." This did the trick for me with my previous phone. (Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage applications - All.)

Like others, I've been plagued with Sense restarts since upgrading to GB. After reading your post I tried 'clear data' for 'HTC.Sense'. So far I have not had Sense restart once. Makes me wonder if Sense was actually crashing because of some setting that was incompatible with the update. It was a pain setting up my shortcuts again, but well worth it if this is a permanent fix.

Dtone

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Like others, I've been plagued with Sense restarts since upgrading to GB. After reading your post I tried 'clear data' for 'HTC.Sense'. So far I have not had Sense restart once. Makes me wonder if Sense was actually crashing because of some setting that was incompatible with the update. It was a pain setting up my shortcuts again, but well worth it if this is a permanent fix.

Definitely not permanent. Not for me anyway. I did that, and i re customized all my screens etc, just for the restarts to start again within a day or two. I can say that over time the Sense restarts have been happening significantly less often. Sometimes I can go a few days without one. Overall i say I average 1 a day, which is better than several times a day at least. I've heard a factory reset might work, but with no guarantee im not gonna go through that trouble. I been told they test these updates on clean factory phone, so the only way to get it perfect is to duplicate that scenario.
Unfortunately, the only real solution is buy an Evo 3D.

PsyDanny

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not permanent. Not for me anyway. I did that, and i re customized all my screens etc, just for the restarts to start again within a day or two. I can say that over time the Sense restarts have been happening significantly less often. Sometimes I can go a few days without one. Overall i say I average 1 a day, which is better than several times a day at least. I've heard a factory reset might work, but with no guarantee im not gonna go through that trouble. I been told they test these updates on clean factory phone, so the only way to get it perfect is to duplicate that scenario.
Unfortunately, the only real solution is buy an Evo 3D.
I am considering doing the hard reset. I will use AppBrain first to make sure I have a good means of restoring my applications. Also, I was thinking of removing my SD card first, so I won't lose data like pictures, etc.; although, I suppose I could just copy those to my laptop hard drive. Would either of these make sense, or anything else that might be recommended, to prepare for the hard reset and subsequent restoration of phone and files?

I am considering this due to still-too-frequent HTC Sense restarts, and battery time that does not seem to have improved.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

aztecjames

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
So, like most, I have two main issues remaining.

1) Voice to text not working when in loud environments

2) Sense restarts after exiting some applications

Occasionally, I find my EVO restarting for no reason. But this may be hardware. Not sure.

I manage a Sprint account for our business and have a lot of EVO's on it so I sent my Sprint rep an email asking for a status on fixing the EVOs. Here is the response I got on August 1st.

Our tech rep said this---
?There is an update coming mid-late August that addresses speech to text mic gain issues that probably fixes the first issue.
Nothing on the 2nd issue, but I passed it along.?

Sounds like an update is on the way however, I am concerned that this tech rep was not aware of the Sense restart issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance