[Official] Gingerbread Update - Bugs, New Apps, etc.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not permanent. Not for me anyway. I did that, and i re customized all my screens etc, just for the restarts to start again within a day or two. I can say that over time the Sense restarts have been happening significantly less often. Sometimes I can go a few days without one. Overall i say I average 1 a day, which is better than several times a day at least. I've heard a factory reset might work, but with no guarantee im not gonna go through that trouble. I been told they test these updates on clean factory phone, so the only way to get it perfect is to duplicate that scenario.
Unfortunately, the only real solution is buy an Evo 3D.

This has been my experience too. The restarts started happening again after a couple of days. But, very infrequently. I can live with it, but I suspect it'll get worse over time.

rykatemom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I had HUGE issues with the Sense reboots until a few days ago. I was also having battery issues, and so I went with a friend's suggestion and gave JuiceDefender a try. Worked really well for my battery life, so I upgraded. I noticed after I started running JD (sorry, I don't know if it was the free version or the ultimate that I upgraded to that did it) that my Sense reboots decreased DRAMATICALLY, to the point of most days I don't have any at all. Doesn't totally fix the problem, and may not work for anyone other than me, but it did make the reboots far more tolerable.

Hope this helps someone!

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
prior to gingerbread, I use to get through the entire day and still have 40 percent battery left with my extended battery. since the update, I can't make it through the day without my phone dying.

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's just face it...our Evo is old in the sense that it came with low RAM. Apps nowadays require higher and higher RAM usage, so the Evo is unable to keep up so were going to continue to have the Evo restart the home screen as it loses it to spare memory for whatever it is we are doing that requires memory.

If it wasn't for its popularity the Evo would be absolute today. The only reason why I have not upgraded myself is because of the kickstand and the hdmi outlet....two small things that other phones don't have and are a deal breaker for me.

evoedout

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest Gingerbread update which was to correct the verbal command issue i.e. when driving at even almost at a stop voice command would not function. Well now it functions but my phone lags terribly in virtually everything I do. Dialing (long keytones and pauses,) Answering, (delayed pick up and disconnects) forget call waiting,) random icons disappearing sense close stuck between numbers on time changing, apps very slow, camera slow, the menu, phone and back widget relocated itself to the right side in landscape and I can't move it back, it is just a mess. It is the same type of issue that took place when I had my Hero and they updated it. it is just pitiful. Don't they test these things before release. And worst of all, I will call tech support and they will have me do a reset which won't correct it because I have already tried it, I live 45 minutes from the nearest Sprint store and will have to got to the repair center, have it checked, they will reset it, I will have to reload all my settings and apps for the third time and I will still have the same problem. Anyone else having issues?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest Gingerbread update which was to correct the verbal command issue i.e. when driving at even almost at a stop voice command would not function. Well now it functions but my phone lags terribly in virtually everything I do. Dialing (long keytones and pauses,) Answering, (delayed pick up and disconnects) forget call waiting,) random icons disappearing sense close stuck between numbers on time changing, apps very slow, camera slow, the menu, phone and back widget relocated itself to the right side in landscape and I can't move it back, it is just a mess. It is the same type of issue that took place when I had my Hero and they updated it. it is just pitiful. Don't they test these things before release. And worst of all, I will call tech support and they will have me do a reset which won't correct it because I have already tried it, I live 45 minutes from the nearest Sprint store and will have to got to the repair center, have it checked, they will reset it, I will have to reload all my settings and apps for the third time and I will still have the same problem. Anyone else having issues?

I feel your pain, brother! I have nothing but issues with my EVO since i bought it. Since GB? Forget about it! I've emailed HTC a bunch of times and their reply is they are working on updates. Told them I don't feel line being a probono beta tester. Dumping this POS and getting the iPhone 5 when Sprint picks it up. Sorry HTC (and Android). I gave it the old college try, but now I'm done.

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Just get rooted! I did last week and holy crap I virtually have a new phone. I got my fav apps downloaded yet still have over 250 MBs free of memory! My Evo never lags anymore.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I feel your pain, brother! I have nothing but issues with my EVO since i bought it. Since GB? Forget about it! I've emailed HTC a bunch of times and their reply is they are working on updates. Told them I don't feel line being a probono beta tester. Dumping this POS and getting the iPhone 5 when Sprint picks it up. Sorry HTC (and Android). I gave it the old college try, but now I'm done.

That's how I feel about it. Since Gingerbread, the EVO has become unreliable, the soft reboots, and memory leak. It's like they didn't bother to test GB for the more than 6 months since it came out, before releasing it. This is my last HTC phone. I'm bailing to the iPhone 5 in December. I just need a phone that works without me having to tinker with it or root it. The thing started out with less on board memory than my Palm Pre +. In December, I'm done!!

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Just get rooted! I did last week and holy crap I virtually have a new phone. I got my fav apps downloaded yet still have over 250 MBs free of memory! My Evo never lags anymore.

We shouldn't have to root the phone for it to work reliably. These clowns put out an OS update that acts as though it wasn't tested. They must've had it for at least six months to test it, find all the bugs all of us did, and have that fixed before release, one would think, but apparently not? OR they made sure these bugs were there so we'd decide to get their EVO 3D, which is unlikely to have any of these bugs. No thanks. Like I said, I don't feel like tinkering with the phone. It should work reliably as is. It did with Froyo. It's not happening with Gingerbread.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who thinks the unreleased iPhone 5 is the answer to ANYTHING is hardly worth convincing otherwise. They're suckers for good advertising so let them blindly march off the cliff.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I hate to tempt the Gods, but I have no problems since the update. None. I still love my stock EVO and bore my hubby with showing him what app I found and what it can do. Mind you, I'm an organized person. If I don't use an app, it's goes, so I still have plenty of space on my phone.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Anyone who thinks the unreleased iPhone 5 is the answer to ANYTHING is hardly worth convincing otherwise. They're suckers for good advertising so let them blindly march off the cliff.

Some people aren't interested in having to root a phone or do a factory reset just to get it to work the way it did originally with Froyo. I rooted my phone, deleted my Exchange e-mail account, and moved all apps to SD card that could be moved. It appears that the memory leak and white screen reboots are managed, for the moment. I most definitely will not be getting another HTC phone. The Nexus would be better and perhaps the iPhone 5 would too, but I'm not going to sit here and be tinkering with a phone again. It should work properly without tinkering. If it doesn't, I don't need it. Anything is better than fighting with an HTC phone.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
But hey, if you do a "factory reset", that should cure every problem you've ever had with the phone, since the Gingerbread update. That's "well documented on these forums", isn't it? A factory reset is the cure for that, right?:cool:

But what will a factory reset do if you are rooted?

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Some people aren't interested in having to root a phone or do a factory reset just to get it to work the way it did originally with Froyo. I rooted my phone, deleted my Exchange e-mail account, and moved all apps to SD card that could be moved. It appears that the memory leak and white screen reboots are managed, for the moment. I most definitely will not be getting another HTC phone. The Nexus would be better and perhaps the iPhone 5 would too, but I'm not going to sit here and be tinkering with a phone again. It should work properly without tinkering. If it doesn't, I don't need it. Anything is better than fighting with an HTC phone.

You don't need to root, if you aren't happy with your evo there are many other android phones out there.

If you really enjoy someone else telling you what you can do with your phone though, the iPhone is the way to go. Some people just like being babysat, I understand that. The iPhone should be perfect for you!

glk21c

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Having Exchange Calendar issues only... I delete from Outlook and it doesn't delete on the phone. When I add an appointment, it is added instantly, moving something doesn't appear to work either.

Did you ever find a remedy to this? I have developed the same exact problem, just on my EVO 4G.
Thanks

Android_son32

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Every time I close an app it says, "loading" and pauses for 10-30 seconds. Anyone know why this happens? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Also restarts itself at times...Pretty annoying when its in the middle of a game.. I do know that Sprint has been having trouble w their 3g and 4g. And lately my Evo seems a bit faster when on 4g. Still nowhere near true 4g speeds. Cant wait until the LTE gets all setup!! They say 2012-2013....I'm in the Houston area so I'm guessing we will be covered.

naudan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Every time I close an app it says, "loading" and pauses for 10-30 seconds. Anyone know why this happens? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Also restarts itself at times...Pretty annoying when its in the middle of a game.. I do know that Sprint has been having trouble w their 3g and 4g. And lately my Evo seems a bit faster when on 4g. Still nowhere near true 4g speeds. Cant wait until the LTE gets all setup!! They say 2012-2013....I'm in the Houston area so I'm guessing we will be covered.

I have the same issues, its something with sense. its Bull****. The phone used to be amazing, now im just done with it. I believe the issue is with Sense+gingerbread. I have found that a quick workaround, if you dont mind, is to download an alternative Launcher. GoLauncher has worked for me so far, no more UI resets every time I go back to the homescreen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173