[Official] Gingerbread Update - Bugs, New Apps, etc.
11-15-2011 08:29 AM
- -:PLEASE READ:-
Before you go and post about an issue you are having check this list to see if it is documented already and if a fix has been found. There are too many "My Netflix isn't working!" and "I cannot get rid of Voicemail Notifications!" posts in this thread that could have been avoided if the user had just read this first post. Also, if your issue pertains to a third party app not working properly make sure the app is supported by Gingerbread. You should be able to find this out by looking at the description under the Market.
Although I am not at my computer 24/7 making sure this main post stays up to date with new issues people have found, I am making it a point to keep tabs on it and update it as often as I possibly can. With that being said, if any of the info found here has helped you, clicking the THANKS button would be greatly appreciated.
+Downloads App which looks to be a shortcut more or less to what you have downloaded recently.
+TeleNav GPS Navigation which replaces Sprint Navigation. It offers a standard free service and a paid for $4.99/month.
+When turning off the phone you get the option to Power Off, Airplane Mode and Restart now.
+Turning on the screen now fades in instead of just popping on.
+Pocket Mode under sound settings increases the ring volume when phone is in your pocket or a bag.
+Flip for Speaker sound settings allows you to activate the speaker phone during calls by turning your phone over.
+Group Message feature added under the stock SMS App.
+The ability to enable Animated GIFs within the stock Browser.
+Better Copy/Paste functionality.
+Volume rocker sound for increases/decreases in volume has changed.
+When receiving a call, the answer slider is colored red across the top (swipe up to decline) and green across the bottom (swipe down to answer). Although this functionality has been there, the color indicators are new.
+Profile Widget removed from screen and needs to be added again.
+Shoot Me no longer works after upgrade.
+Netflix has issues loading. Market says it is only compatible with 2.2 for EVO. Netflix is aware of this and working on a fix.
+Rogue Voicemail notifications being displayed. To fix this go to Settings > Call > Clear Voicemail Notification. They may come back after restarting the phone and may periodically pop up throughout the day. I myself was getting them a lot the day I upgraded and after a few days they seemed to have stopped.
+Battery Use shows Display using 70% or more of the battery. This is not a bug. It is basically saying that of the battery that is being used 70% of that is being used by the display, not that 70% of the total battery is being consumed by the display.
+When you turn off the phone with quick boot, the background zooms out and displays all home pages before shutting off.
+When you turn phone back on the screen comes back on and animation happens then goes to dull brightness instantly. You have to turn the screen off and on again to get it to go back to regular screen brightness. Happens with both Sense and Launcher Pro UI's.
+Pandora app will either play one song and then nothing or there will be a long pause (roughly 10 to 20 seconds) before another starts.
+AIM won't log in. Try reinstalling the app to resolve the issue.
+Any saved Alarms you had were deleted during the upgrade and will need to be reset.
+Compass functionality not working properly. This has been brought to the attention of Google Dev.
+Speech to Text not working properly.
+Wireless N no longer supported.
+Some have reported issues with 4G not connecting.
+Sense restarting after exiting some apps. I notice it every time I exit out of playing Plants vs. Zombies.06-03-2011 09:00 AMLike 25
- I think even when you have your GPS widget on it will only go on when you need the GPS feature. Like opening up maps or navigation.
Also google maps still gives me trafic updates and I use the Google Navigation anyway, so kind of weird that TeleNav would try to charge for that service.
I like the downloads app, sometimes I forget how to find something I put on my phone so it's nice to have that.
Still playing around and finding things out.06-03-2011 09:16 AM
- For some unknown reason now after the GB update, while doing absolutely nothing on the phone, the Display is using 80% of the battery, whereas before the update, it used on average, 4% no matter what I was doing, much less when doing absolutely nothing. Is this the improved power management it's suppose to have? Also, there doesn't appear to be any video chat option in Google Talk, so perhaps that is only on the Nexus phones or perhaps only in 2.3.4?06-03-2011 09:26 AM
- For some unknown reason now after the GB update, while doing absolutely nothing on the phone, the Display is using 80% of the battery, whereas before the update, it used on average, 4% no matter what I was doing, much less when doing absolutely nothing. Is this the improved power management it's suppose to have? Also, there doesn't appear to be any video chat option in Google Talk, so perhaps that is only on the Nexus phones or perhaps only in 2.3.4?06-03-2011 09:30 AM
- Display still using over 80% no matter what I do or don't do. Before the update, the display rarely used 5%. Everything else is using less of the battery. Why? Even a battery pull and restart doesn't make a difference. Display is using 84% while I'm doing nothing. Is anyone else having this issue at all?06-03-2011 10:00 AM
- 06-03-2011 10:00 AMLike 1
- only issue I am having is that I can't find the gingerbread keyboard? All else seems to be good, had the same voicemail issue mentioned earlier, but used the same fix and all good...is the keyboard an easy fix, am I just missing something? It is not in the language/keyboard settings, at least I don't see it...and when I do the long press in an input area (text, email, etc) it doesn't come up as a choice there either. Still offers only swype or text...any help is appreciated!! It's a small thing but hey it's the Evo!!06-03-2011 10:27 AM
- Prior to the update, I had the option to turn off the data when I held down the power key. That was a lifesaver for me ever day. Did they move it or is it gone?
On another side...in my office I had little to no cell or 3G signal, After the update, I'm rockin'.
Maybe just a coincidence but it's cool to see.
Finally...what are some fun toys they added?
Thanks!06-03-2011 10:45 AM
- I started another thread for this, but figured I'd add it here too. Anyone having any luck with "push" notifications for Facebook when it comes to new wall posts, comments, etc. coming though as they are posted now that you are on GB? The Facebook app says push works on all 2.2+ devices which is anything higher then 2.2 to my understanding. So far it's a no go for me even after reinstalling the latest Facebook update on my phone.06-03-2011 10:51 AM
- 06-03-2011 10:55 AM
- HTC Android Phones
- More HTC Phones
- HTC EVO Series
- HTC EVO 4G
[Official] Gingerbread Update - Bugs, New Apps, etc.
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD