Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gingerbread update bricked my Evo

Just a heads up; downloaded the update via 3G, began the install. The Android with the box appeared on screen for a few minutes, then shortly after, a warning icon appeared next to him. I left the phone sit for 20 minutes, and did not change. Went blank. After that, I tried to power up phone. Nothing. Tried to bring it up in boot screen, and the phone just vibrates three short times, and stops. Tried again, and it did nothing.

Anyone have a suggestion how to get the phone working again?

pull the battery and restart.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Tried that, it just vibrates and stops again.
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

I'll let you know if we get it figured out. One of my coworkers guinea'd hers and it did the same thing. As I said before, I'm not updating...Everything works fine for me on 2.2, including Pandora, Shoot Me, etc...

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

The same thing happened to me, pulling out the battery worked for me. I tried it a second time and the same thing happened. I wonder what the deal is?

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Just a heads up; downloaded the update via 3G, began the install. The Android with the box appeared on screen for a few minutes, then shortly after, a warning icon appeared next to him. I left the phone sit for 20 minutes, and did not change. Went blank. After that, I tried to power up phone. Nothing. Tried to bring it up in boot screen, and the phone just vibrates three short times, and stops. Tried again, and it did nothing.

Anyone have a suggestion how to get the phone working again?
    Are you rooted?

I am in constant reboot loop!!! Did the update over wifi, had USB plugged in, but on charge only. Went away, came back and just reboots... goes to the 4G screen plays the sound and then rinse and repeat. I have pulled the battery two times now... this sucks...

(yes, stock, not rooted)

Happened to me too.( boot loop)..I pulled battery and let stand for about 10 minutes...put battery back in and everything works fine now
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Still unable to get the update loaded on the phone. Restarts, tries to unpack, and ultimately errors out and stops.

Phone was rooted, but has been unrooted prior to attempting the update.

The boot loop might be a result of it getting to hot.
    Pulling the battery for 10 minutes worked for User One so its worth a shot.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Update:

I did a full reset and was able to update. All is well now.

I left it off for 30minutes to no avail... When I went to the boot screen I could see I was still on the old stuff. Did the reset and it prompted for software update again. Second time was a charm. In the end it was worth it as it didn't take long to get up and running...

The biggest benefit is I now get my work email via the stock ActiveSync client!!! I could always get calendar, but not mail. We use LotusNotes (yes it is crap) and i had to use the Traveler client. So i don't know if it was the small sense update or the factory reset, but in the end I don't care! Thanks all!

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.0

well im guessing a bunch of phones were bricked with this update...

I updated mine and the device would show the white htc screen, then it would vibrate five times go blank and the notification led would just flash continuously until you pull the battery..

I took it to the service center and three other people were in there for update issues. The techs were working on it for almost 2 hours. they eventually got it to a point where the phone would power up but after roughly 2 minutes the phone freezes and vibrates, goes blank and the led starts its flashing crap again...They had no evo's in stock so i had to call sprint

that was the worst 4 hours of my life.. Every rep kept wanting to send me to asurion to pay my deductible, no one understood that this is not my problem and i needed sprint to replace the device under my service and repair protection. I was hung up on several different occasions.

So to get to the end of the story here sprint finally ordered me an evo but they are on backorder, up to seven days. Whats there response to me not having a phone you ask?? They told me to go to a sprint store and purchase a refurbished phone for 50 on up dollars until my evo comes in...

So there must have been a lot of problems since the third to wipeout all the in stock evo's, they also said all new evos are out of stock as well, im guessing they are also trying to keep inventory low as they stock up on evo3d's

/venting

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    ROM
    PA 3.99

What happens if you had used unrevoked and then just take the OTA and install? Does it just unroot you?

Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    well im guessing a bunch of phones were bricked with this update...

I updated mine and the device would show the white htc screen, then it would vibrate five times go blank and the notification led would just flash continuously until you pull the battery..

I took it to the service center and three other people were in there for update issues. The techs were working on it for almost 2 hours. they eventually got it to a point where the phone would power up but after roughly 2 minutes the phone freezes and vibrates, goes blank and the led starts its flashing crap again...They had no evo's in stock so i had to call sprint

that was the worst 4 hours of my life.. Every rep kept wanting to send me to asurion to pay my deductible, no one understood that this is not my problem and i needed sprint to replace the device under my service and repair protection. I was hung up on several different occasions.

So to get to the end of the story here sprint finally ordered me an evo but they are on backorder, up to seven days. Whats there response to me not having a phone you ask?? They told me to go to a sprint store and purchase a refurbished phone for 50 on up dollars until my evo comes in...

So there must have been a lot of problems since the third to wipeout all the in stock evo's, they also said all new evos are out of stock as well, im guessing they are also trying to keep inventory low as they stock up on evo3d's

/venting
    This is so unacceptable ( on Sprint's part)....I went through a similar situation, but after 3 trips to the store and about an hour and a half of phone calls to HTC and Sprint, they finally agreed to sending me a new phone...smh

Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    What happens if you had used unrevoked and then just take the OTA and install? Does it just unroot you?
    Did you use unrevoked to root the phone? I hope you made a backup prior to rooting. I didn't and had a hard time getting with everything until I followed dumpedduce's tutorial:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...ed-evo-4g.html

You can actually upgrade to Gingerbread after several mandatory upgrades if you follow his tutorial as I did. I'm actually running 2.3, but still cannot create a backup of my OS unless I root. Still debating wether I should.