Help with update

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
I hope someone can help me. I am trying to do the update. It downloaded fine, asked if I wanted to install the update. Selected yes. Phone shut down. Now, I have a little android figure and a triangle with a yellow "!" mark in it. It has been on this screen for about 15 minutes now. What does the display mean? I was rooted with unrevoked and I read other posts that said they were able to update without a problem when rooted with unrevoked. Please help!!
Thanks,
John

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I hope someone can help me. I am trying to do the update. It downloaded fine, asked if I wanted to install the update. Selected yes. Phone shut down. Now, I have a little android figure and a triangle with a yellow "!" mark in it. It has been on this screen for about 15 minutes now. What does the display mean? I was rooted with unrevoked and I read other posts that said they were able to update without a problem when rooted with unrevoked. Please help!!
Thanks,
John

Oh man, that doesn't sound good. Did you install the official OTA from Sprint on a rooted stock ROM?

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what i was try to avoid by making the guide in my signature.
Sigh,

Okay if its been over 10 minutes like that, battery pull and boot into fastboot (Vol up+power). After youre in fastboot try running an RUU from there, or the bootloader.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I installed the official OTA update on a stock ROM.

Definitely not trying to flame,everyone makes mistakes. Please remember though. Once your rooted, NEVER EVER install official updates from the carrier or manufacturer. Causes nothing but problems. I hope that didn't sound mean. :)

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not trying to flame,everyone makes mistakes. Please remember though. Once your rooted, NEVER EVER install official updates from the carrier or manufacturer. Causes nothing but problems. I hope that didn't sound mean. :)

Very good advice. NEVER EVER.
Installed update on stock evo, no major issues except for some widgets disappearing, alarms to be reset, copy/ paste function works better but takes time to get use to, overall the changes are no different to get use it than if you changed phones or just bought a tablet, old habits die hard.
Netflix and Google will fix the minor issues, every phone is different depending on what apps you have installed, no different to pc
's, some work flawlessly some don't depending on software conflicts. It will all be ok, its an evo right?
Make sure your battery is full or on charge before downloading and installing the update, mine sucked its entire charge, should have known better, we all make mistakes.

Remember NEVER EVER install official updates on a rooted device, phone or tablet. That should be a sticky at the top of the forums.

ahsan.s

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue, mine got stuck at the android, triangle and exclamation sign. I pulled the battery and it came back to where it was before trying to update. I am rooted with unrevoked and running no roms, just what the phone came with. My question, if I do try to update what will happen ?, will I loose my root ? or my phone would become a brick. I dont care about loosing the root. Is there anyway to update the rooted phone without having to install those complicated ROMS. What if I dont update, will it force me to update and make my phone not function. Newbie here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, do NOT do the OTA update. Get the rooted version if you really want it. If you try the "official" version, you may have problems and it is possible you lose root.

Read this thread if you are rooted and want the new Gingerbread update

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...w-get-gingerbread-ota-update-stay-rooted.html

I had the same issue, mine got stuck at the android, triangle and exclamation sign. I pulled the battery and it came back to where it was before trying to update. I am rooted with unrevoked and running no roms, just what the phone came with. My question, if I do try to update what will happen ?, will I loose my root ? or my phone would become a brick. I dont care about loosing the root. Is there anyway to update the rooted phone without having to install those complicated ROMS. What if I dont update, will it force me to update and make my phone not function. Newbie here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: ahsan.s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol