Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Inductive Charging?

I'm beginning to see various devices turn up with inductive charging solutions. For example, Duracell has a web add showing a couple of inductive solutions, Sprint also has a solution for inductive charging for a few devices besides the Palm Pre. It may be that the Duracell & Sprint solutions are supporting the same devices, but it's still be interesting to know if HTC is pursuing this?

I currently have the Palm Pre, and the Touchstone (although pricey) is an awesome feature I'd hate to give up.

David

Yeah, I agree that the Touchstone method of charging will be hard to give up but i think i will gain so much more from the device itself. Hopefully we will have options.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

I'll miss my touchstone if I move to an Evo as I'm currently expecting. But I think there's a dock available, which is almost as good. At least you don't have to fuss with trying to insert a microUSB cord in a little tiny jack.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy Rls1

if it's not offered directly there is always the power mat option. They work under the same concept and you just buy an adapter for the phone. I thought about getting one for my Blackberry but I'm glad I held out for the EVO.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

is there any word if there will be a desktop dock?

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I'm sure there will be since the USB port is on the bottom. (Where all smartphones should have them in the first place). There are docks for the HD2 so they may work if the USB port is in the same place. I'd imagine a dock for the Evo would also have the HDMI connection.

I really miss the Touchstone after switching from the Pre to a Moment, so I would definitely want a dock if I get an Evo.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

Yes, I've seen a couple references to people seeing a dock at the CTIA annnouncement. There's a photo on this page:

Sprint Evo Forum

Video: CTIA: Sprint EVO 4G is the Phone to Beat This Summer

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Nice! Thanks!

I like how it also has an HDMI port on it.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, really, the inductive charging was nice, but what have been nicer is a port on the bottom of the phone. So... you have your pre. you sit at your desk, phone on the touchstone and you want to put a file, or sync it to your computer... You go, I'll just send it over bluetooth... oh wait, thats not supported. Um, ok, let me get out from under my desk, disconnect the cable from the wall and the back of the touchstone, risk breaking the cover on the pre and hook it up to the computer. Great, now phone is synced, gotta get back under the desk and do it again.
    Don't want to do this, wanna keep another cable on hand? OK, pay the extra $15 for the palm specific cable.

I got rid of the pre and touchstone, and just got a hero with a cheap seidio docking station and life has been easier (and much cheaper). Plus, it works with all size batteries due to the awesome design (swivel port on the back allows for bigger phones). I'm using their 3500mAh battery with it and love it. I charge my phone, and gain access to it whenever I want. Plus, with the built in BT transfer, i don't have to be at my computer, or have my phone next to it to send a file. Yesterday, I sent a file to it while I was in the bathroom, computer on the desk in the next room over. Touchstone= overprices and unpractical if you ever sync your phone to a computer.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Yeah, really, the inductive charging was nice, but what have been nicer is a port on the bottom of the phone. So... you have your pre. you sit at your desk, phone on the touchstone and you want to put a file, or sync it to your computer... You go, I'll just send it over bluetooth... oh wait, thats not supported. Um, ok, let me get out from under my desk, disconnect the cable from the wall and the back of the touchstone, risk breaking the cover on the pre and hook it up to the computer. Great, now phone is synced, gotta get back under the desk and do it again.
    Don't want to do this, wanna keep another cable on hand? OK, pay the extra $15 for the palm specific cable.

I got rid of the pre and touchstone, and just got a hero with a cheap seidio docking station and life has been easier (and much cheaper). Plus, it works with all size batteries due to the awesome design (swivel port on the back allows for bigger phones). I'm using their 3500mAh battery with it and love it. I charge my phone, and gain access to it whenever I want. Plus, with the built in BT transfer, i don't have to be at my computer, or have my phone next to it to send a file. Yesterday, I sent a file to it while I was in the bathroom, computer on the desk in the next room over. Touchstone= overprices and unpractical if you ever sync your phone to a computer.
    All of your points are true and valid...but, boy, I will miss my Touchstone if I get the EVO.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

i rarely use the touchstone. now the only reason I use it now is because my gf did sumthin and messed my cord up so when i plug it into my phone, I have to giggle it around for it to charge so now i can only use it on the touchstone; but im geting rid of my pre soon as the evo comes out

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

If you guys are interested in a wireless charging system check out what Powermat introduced at CTIA 2010 to be released this summer. OEM sized batteries with Powermat technology built inside the battery!

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Calkulin v3.0

looks nice, I want it

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_lve View Post
    If you guys are interested in a wireless charging system check out what Powermat introduced at CTIA 2010 to be released this summer. OEM sized batteries with Powermat technology built inside the battery!

Nice, I already have a power mat (and use the "adapter", but if they'll sell a battery that'll work on my phone, I'd be soo happy, I love that about my Pre.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

looks promising. It's the same stats as the Hero (but not the hero they show) and could very well be the same battery as the Sprint Hero.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    Nice, I already have a power mat (and use the "adapter", but if they'll sell a battery that'll work on my phone, I'd be soo happy, I love that about my Pre.
    It isn't the pre's battery that allows it, it is the touchstone battery cover. The Pre and Pixi have special connectors inside the phone that allow it to charge by induction through the touchstone back.