NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ok here is the skinny,

evo bought 2 months ago
urevoked 3
mybackup root
rom manager
sprint lovers rom (just to get a feel for flashing a rom)

now i want vaelpak as everyone seems to say it is the best and the screen shots look amazing and so is all the info on it.

here is the prob...

whenever i use rom manager either nothing works or when i go to flash the rom through it, it gets hung on the main boot screen. anytime i try to manualy boot it does the same..

i know this subject gets brought up alot and ive read a **** ton on it but i honestly need a pros assistance to help me out with this crap cause i am tired of running backup ever single time the damn thing fails..

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
ok here is the skinny,

evo bought 2 months ago
urevoked 3
mybackup root
rom manager
sprint lovers rom (just to get a feel for flashing a rom)

now i want vaelpak as everyone seems to say it is the best and the screen shots look amazing and so is all the info on it.

here is the prob...

whenever i use rom manager either nothing works or when i go to flash the rom through it, it gets hung on the main boot screen. anytime i try to manualy boot it does the same..

i know this subject gets brought up alot and ive read a **** ton on it but i honestly need a pros assistance to help me out with this crap cause i am tired of running backup ever single time the damn thing fails..

Did you wipe data, cache, dalvik cache, etc? That is usually the culprit when it comes to flashing new ROMs an being stuck on the boot screen. There should be an option in ROM manager to wipe data.... I can't remember since I haven't used ROM manager or clockwork since my Hero days lol (I use Amon_RA recovery)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
hm....it could be 1 of 2 of the following:

1) it could be that the ROM's zip file is corrupted...did you d/l it thru ROM manager or manually do it and placed on your SD card? if you did it thru ROM manager, d/l it thru your comp and place it on your SD card. If thats the way you did it, try d/l it again and place that zip on your SD.

2) it could be the Recovery. I highly suggest using Amon_RA recovery. You wont be able to use ROM manager anymore but, IMO, I think it's better to do all the flashing and wiping from Recovery. You can go HERE to get the instructions on how to flash it. I used the Terminal Emulator way to do it. D/l Terminal Emulator from the market (if you dont already have it) and the recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img . Place that on your SD card then, in Terminal Emulator, type this (hit enter after each line):

Code:
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img
reboot recovery

Try (1) first....if you still have a problem, then do (2)

once you flash Amon_RA, to flash different ROMs, you have to d/l the zip files and place them onto your SD card manually. Then you reboot into Recovery. I usually do a nandroid backup (under Backup/Restore) then wipe data, cache, dalvik cache. You could also d/l XxXViRuSXxX's SuperWipe (here ya go: VR_SUPERWIPE ) Then choose the ROM you want to flash and reboot....you should be good then :)

btw....any and all of your backups that you did with ROM manager and/or ClockwordMod recovery will not work with Amon_RA and vice versa. So if you go with Amon_RA....do a backup immediately so you dont lose that backup!

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
number one is out i tried it through the sd. i cannot find amon_ra recovery in the market and even if i do a manual recovery i still get a hung up screen...

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
i downloaded ra recovery... but still can't get the terminal emulator to work at all... i get a sorry, the application terminal emulator has stopped unexpectedly please try again" it won't work

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
hm... weird....you can try to do thru adb on your comp (thru command prompt) or d/l the pc36img.zip and do it thru the bootloader:

- the Bootloader way - -
  • Place PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sd card.
  • Boot the phone into the bootloader by powering the phone down, then press the power and the volume down buttons at the same time.
  • Once the phone boots into the bootloader the phone will automatically recognize the zip file. It will ask if you would like to update, select yes and let it do it's thing and you will be good to go

if you go thru command prompt, connect your Evo via usb, then bring command prompt up and type the following:

Code:
cd [B]c:/evoroot[/B]
adb shell
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img
reboot recovery

**NOTE** the part in BOLD may differ for you...it depends on the directory you put your adb tools in (if you have any) i followed this guide when i rooted so thats the directory i have them in: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/54844-guide-rooting-3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

incase that link didnt work....the guide is the sticky on top in the rooting forums of EVO 4G named: [GUIDE] Rooting 3.7/Hboot2.02+ w/screen shots (1/27/2011)

Last edited:

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
well went in for a manual recovery after i had updated through pc36.img. with either 'vp-3.2rc2-6' or 'vp3.70b20' and either way as soon as i selected recovery it just hangs up on the boot screen

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
There were a few times where i had to re-install the custom ROM.

If your device hangs on the main screen pull the battery. Then put it back in and go thru the process of installing the ROM from ZIP again.
Dont forget to wipe all the caches as the guys / gals above have stated.

I read thru this quickly and didnt see anybody mention re-installing the custom rom a 2nd time. For me it made the difference.

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
appreciate the advice but ive tried alot of things. still no dice. and i have to yank the battery or id have no phone. i bet it would still be up today! im really excited to use vp but this thing is making me very impatient. (hence the thread title)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol