Sirius XM app and 2.3 update - broken?
We all know there's an issue with Netflix and Pandora but is anyone having an issue with Sirius XM? I seem to be playing for about 5 minutes then loop back and play the same thing over and over again. Turning off the app and back on seems to fix it, but that's not a fantastic solution? Any ideas? It appears that the options in the service menu to set the proxy to 0.0.0.0 are gone.
- 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM #2
- 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM #4
- 8 Posts
It's working ok for me on 3g and WiFi
Hi Colestein, I've used the xm app on my evo several times since updating to GB. I mostly use it over Wifi, but I'm using it now on 3g and it's worked fine for the past 30 minutes. Over the weekend I've noticed some issues with the app (stuttering, pauses that last a few seconds, etc). I thought it was the update so I tried the app on my ipod touch and couldn't even get it to load up. I tried it on the ipad and it worked after a long log in process. I did some looking online and others are experiencing problems with the sirius/xm online services.
I'm wondering if the problems you're having are more related to the Sirius/XM online service and less an issue with the new OS. It seems like the sirius/xm app and their online service in general are just not working the best at the moment. Hopefully they'll catch up with the new technology so the quality is brought up to what it really should be.
Pandora isn't working well so I've been using the Rhapsody service more since updating and I've had no problems with their app
- 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM #6
- 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM #7