Phone needs to be reset. Worried about it.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been having a few issue with my EVO since installing GB. I called Sprint and they said the best thing to do is a reset. I am a bit worried about this. They said I can bring it into a service center and they will back everything up and do the reset for me.
Is this true? Will everything be back the way it was? Or will I need to enter every username and password into every app again, will I need to find all of my settings and reset everything again?

I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to do any of this. If I know that all will be the same, I'm ok with it.

If anyone can let me know what to expect that would be great.

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have been having a few issue with my EVO since installing GB. I called Sprint and they said the best thing to do is a reset. I am a bit worried about this. They said I can bring it into a service center and they will back everything up and do the reset for me.
Is this true? Will everything be back the way it was? Or will I need to enter every username and password into every app again, will I need to find all of my settings and reset everything again?

I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to do any of this. If I know that all will be the same, I'm ok with it.

If anyone can let me know what to expect that would be great.

A hard reset usually helps with a lot of issues. I hard reset my wife's phone before and after updating to GB. Her phone is a lot faster and has had none of the issues that everyone else has been having. I had to back up her apps and yes, it is a pain to re-enter logins.

What issues have you been having?

Last edited:

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
honestly....if you have to enter your passwords back in after getting having your phone fixed, i feel that is better than the alternative (keeping your passwords but not having your phone fixed) sounds like a nice trade off to me

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Shouldnt have to worry about it too much. I reset my phone after the update and all i keep getting is the voicemail notification. Its working better then before with it.

Sent from my EVOlution

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
honestly....if you have to enter your passwords back in after getting having your phone fixed, i feel that is better than the alternative (keeping your passwords but not having your phone fixed) sounds like a nice trade off to me

+1 And to think that previous generations survived the Great Depression and fought in WWII...and this is what constitutes a problem these days. smh

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
+1 And to think that previous generations survived the Great Depression and fought in WWII...and this is what constitutes a problem these days. smh

Exactly. If everyone does a hard reset before and after an OTA update, there wouldn't be as many issues. I'm not saying it solves everything but it would probably cut down on the calls to Sprint/HTC and the posts on all the EVO forums.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I did not go through with it because the guy in the store said I would have to redownload every app. This shocked me. I thought there was a way to pretty much back up just about everything. I can probably live with the whole password thing, but it is the app stuff that worries me more.
Is this true? Will I need to download all of my apps all over again and then lose all of the data related to each app?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Method for resetting EVO:

First here is the Froyo way:

Menu > Settings > SD & storage > Factory data reset

This is the Gingerbread way:

Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset

Yes, if you do a reset, you will lose all of your downloaded apps and you will have to re-download them again. If the app developer stored things on the SD card, you may not lose your data. Your SD card is not erased with a Factory Data Reset. I was nervous about performing my first reset on my device, but I was having problems with my original EVO and got kinda used to it.

If your contacts are synced with Gmail, then they will automatically be restored. If you use Google Voice your text messages will also be restored. I believe that if you have an account, Handcent will do this as well, but not the stock messaging app.

Honestly, one of the nicest parts of being rooted is being able to run Titanium Backup and backup apps and settings (read Angry Birds score) and be able to restore them on any other ROM that is flashed.

It would be nice if this feature could be implemented into future versions of the Android OS or have app settings get synced to your Google account.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Honestly you are better reinstalling everything and logging back into everything manually anyway.
Once you are rooted and play with different roms you end up wiping soo much that you get in the habit of wiping everything and reinstalling manually. Most of the time when you restore backed up apps and settings it causes problems anyway. .

If you want your phone to have a chance in working properly, try the full wipe.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly do I need to do and what will my end results be? Is this correct?
1 - I don't need to actually right down a list of the apps I have. It is stored against my google account?
2 - I should note down all of my usernames and passwords as those will all be lost
3 - any application data that is stored on the SD card will not be lost?
4 - all contacts and calendar events stored against my google account will not be lost?

I have heard people mention "backing up the phone" What is this? How does it work? How do I do this? Once backed up, how do I restore the backed up data?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
See my responses in bold.
So what exactly do I need to do and what will my end results be? Is this correct?
1 - I don't need to actually right down a list of the apps I have. It is stored against my google account?
Your paid apps are tied to your Google account in that you won't have to pay for them again, any other apps you downloaded may or may not show up in the web based android market when you log in to it.
2 - I should note down all of my usernames and passwords as those will all be lost
Yes
3 - any application data that is stored on the SD card will not be lost?
True, photos and things you have downloaded to your SD card are safe, but if you have moved an app to the SD card, you will have to re-install it
4 - all contacts and calendar events stored against my google account will not be lost?
Yes, those are part of your Google "cloud" data and will re-sync when you sign in with your Google Account during the phone setup.

I have heard people mention "backing up the phone" What is this? How does it work? How do I do this? Once backed up, how do I restore the backed up data?
This is likely people talking about either Titanium Backup (an app that requires root privileges) or a Nandroid backup (which is a full backup that is done through a custom recovery that also requires full root).

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Will I need to create a list of all of my apps or will they be attached to either the Market or Appbrain for me to just select to reinstall them all? What about the apps from the Amazon Store?
What about apps that I downloaded/installed when they were free but are no longer free? Will I still get them or will I need to pay for them now?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Will I need to create a list of all of my apps or will they be attached to either the Market or Appbrain for me to just select to reinstall them all? What about the apps from the Amazon Store?
What about apps that I downloaded/installed when they were free but are no longer free? Will I still get them or will I need to pay for them now?

Appbrain should take care of them for you.

The apps from the Amazon store are tied to your Amazon account, so you will be OK for re-installing those too (without paying again).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac