My White/Oreo Conversion

Mathman85

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit obsessive about the condition of my electronics... so I was hugely confused and heartbroken when I saw this:

l.jpg

l.jpg

I have no idea when it happened or how it happened. I just looked at the phone one day and noticed a chip in the back cover. So I had to do something about it. While looking around on GoodandEVO.net, I found a link to HTC Spare Repair Parts and Accessories, and I saw my solution. Here's the progress:

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

During disassembly, I notice a large hurdle that anyone undertaking this task must be made aware of. If you remove the battery door and look at the back cover closely, you'll see a lot of red tape on it. This tape has tabs that feed through to the other side and contain foil bridges for electric contacts inside the phone. Transferring this would be VERY tricky, but is doable. I'm fortunate to know a guy who had some spare parts lying around.

l.jpg

And how I'll probably keep it (albeit with my hi-capacity battery and door, since I'm gone for work over 11 hours a day):

l.jpg

l.jpg

For anybody curious about the procedure:

1. Remove battery door.
2. Remove battery.
3. Remove MicroSD card.
4. Remove 6 T4 (or maybe T5, don't recall for sure) screws around the border of rear cover (you can use a 1.2mm flathead with enough pressure, if you can't find Torx that small).
5. Use something thin and plastic (the battery door works) to slide alone the edge to separate the clips.
6. Transfer all components (#0[4] phillips screws for most of the components; use the smallest flathead you can find to pop off the camera lens protector ring, something blunt to push out the camera lens protector; transfer tape carefully to ensure foil will complete electric connections).
7. Reassemble.

And before anybody asks "where'd you get the acrylic ring that saves your camera lens protector from getting scratched?!" - Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hope this was informative to somebody. :)

Mathman85

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
First off, I'm rooted, so I'm not taking it to Sprint for anything short of catastrophe requiring phone replacement. Second off, the friend of mine who had spare parts lying around is a Sprint manager and former tech, and very plainly said that a Sprint store wouldn't have done that work specifically because transferring the tape is troublesome and there'd be too much liability if it didn't work.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I do not have the know how or the confindence in my hands to do that without breaking something. Looks good though.

Sent from my Inspiration

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Very tempting as I took the white version cause they were out of black. I wanted the black badly after a few months. Just upgraded the wife's phone today and she got the black evo and thought we were gonna swap but she has seen then decided to be a big pain in the rear so I plan on just buying the shell and converting it to black.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
First off, I'm rooted, so I'm not taking it to Sprint for anything short of catastrophe requiring phone replacement. Second off, the friend of mine who had spare parts lying around is a Sprint manager and former tech, and very plainly said that a Sprint store wouldn't have done that work specifically because transferring the tape is troublesome and there'd be too much liability if it didn't work.

my parts already have that stuff, the only thing i have to change over is the LED flash and speaker... Parts come directly from Sprints warehouse so im not sure where your friend gets his parts from. being rooted has nothing to do with part replacement, and some threads around here say it has nothing to do with device replacement either. I was just saying a decent service and repair center would have done it for free as long as you had TEP/ESRP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance