my evo's "downward spiral"

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
idk what exactly is happening but the further along in time my phone goes the more i am loosing...

overview
-unrevoked 3
-sprintlovers rom
utilitarian apps installed
-busy box
- mybackup root
- rom manager
- quick boot
- terminal emulator
was using adw ( something like that) launcher.

since the last time i loaded the launcher i have lost all usb to computer funtions except for charging, and whenever my phone is plugged in it will always go to screen timeout after 30 sec or whatever i set it for but it shouldn't do this. and neither rom manager or mybackup seems to function properly. in backup i will backup all apps and data and then when i try and restore it there is an error... any options at this point?

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Seriously man, totally uncalled for. U may try unrooting with ruu (do a search), and rooting again with a more complex method. It may take some time though doing the research to learn how to do it right. I'm sure someone here can provide more insight, but that may be your only option at this point. You could also do the 2.3 update which will unroot, but that may be a whole other set of problems. Good luck.

8vdude8

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Do a nandroid backup, and then try unrooting the phone and reinstalling the stock rom. If the stock rom has issues the same issues as well, you're looking at some definite hardware issues.

Regarding the HTC Sync thing: I'm not sure if you use the program on your computer, but if you don't, uninstall it. If I remember correctly, the drivers should be in the folder that application was installed, but Windows should have already loaded and stored whatever it needs in that sense. For the limited time I had that program on my computer, it only caused more chaos than comfort.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
something along the lines of "rooting's not for everyone" good encouragement

Well you did say in one of your replies that got deleted the that with school, work and home life(or something like that) you don't have the time to play around with it or this... can't remember right now.Anyway when you root you are always opening yourself up to issues with your device. These issues sometimes fix themselves and sometimes they will cost you a few hours to figure out and fix. It just the nature of rooting.

Now your issues....

idk what exactly is happening but the further along in time my phone goes the more i am loosing...overview
-unrevoked 3
-sprintlovers rom
-utilitarian apps installed
-busy box- mybackup root
- rom manager
- quick boot
- terminal emulator
was using adw ( something like that) launcher

What version of Sprint Lovers are you running??? Froyo based or GB based??? That will make a differance in somethings. And what "utilitarian apps" do you have installed??? Again... it could make a differance.

since the last time i loaded the launcher

What exactly do you mean when you say. "the last time you loaded the launcher"??? Do you mean the 3rd party launcher or rebooting your eVo???

i have lost all usb to computer funtions except for charging,

Sounds like your looking for the pop up window that comes up when you plug your eVo into your CPU? Also sounds like maybe you checked the little box at the bottom of that pop up that says something like "don't show this again"... I'm not sure if its a Sense based thing. I run a AOSP rom and as far as I can remember we don't have that pop up, so I can't really tell you where to look to re enable it. SorryTry this: Went you plug in your eVo and pull down your notification window you should beable to tap the notification and bring up a pop up that will ask you how you would like to connect your eVo to your CPU.

and whenever my phone is plugged in it will always go to screen timeout after 30 sec or whatever i set it for but it shouldn't do this.

If your asking for your screen to stay on when you have your eVo plugged in. Not sure if this is what your looking for but give this a shoot. Go to Menu- Settings- Applications- scroll to the bottom of this screen, is there a heading "Development"??? In there is an option to keep the screen on when charging. I'm going to assume that would also work if it was mounted as a USB plus you'll probably have to turn the screen off manually when you are using a charger.

and neither rom manager or mybackup seems to function properly. in backup i will backup all apps and data and then when i try and restore it there is an error... any options at this point?

I've never really used Rom Manager all that much, always one problem or another and i like using Amon. its just better, should give it a try.You can give this a try...Goto Menu-> Settings-> Applications-> Manage Apps... find those 2 apps. Force stop them, then clear there data and uninstall. Reinstall them from the market and see if that helps.You could also try reflashing your rom. Just wipe cashe and dalivak cashe, reflash your rom and reboot. Dont wipe user data, you'll lose everything. See if that fixes it.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks southphilly that was exactly what i was looking for in a response! as far as the usb to computer interface goes, it chooses when it actually wants to connect and when it doesn't (not the pop up). i don't care much for htc sync so ill probably ditch that. ill give a more in depth response when im off work. but thank you for the help and the post!

btw i was able to enable the screen to stay on while charging, it was in development! thanks

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
whats un-called for?

Sorry about that, I was responding to that rude comment that was deleted. That guy was a jerk. Try Amon recovery like the other guy said. Reflashing the rom might fix ur problems, just remember to nandroid first, and u should proly wipe everything before reflashing

NoNsequitur

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the advise, and yeah sorry i was being a little out of line as well blowin up on that guy, sometimes i just don't have patience... but ive tried reflashing anything i do to recover now just hangs up on the boot screen, no hard boots, no backup apps, nothing is working and now i just have this phone that is constantly changing the settings and way things opperate.. i mean it works, just annoying

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the advise, and yeah sorry i was being a little out of line as well blowin up on that guy, sometimes i just don't have patience... but ive tried reflashing anything i do to recover now just hangs up on the boot screen, no hard boots, no backup apps, nothing is working and now i just have this phone that is constantly changing the settings and way things opperate.. i mean it works, just annoying

No worries, I don't think u were out of line at all. That guy was. Try flashing another rom and let us know how that works.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
This is going to be hard to hear but I really think as a last ditch effort before someone suggests unrooting and a stop by your local Sprint store. Let's try and start from scratch.

I think you should just right off your backups and all. Just make sure all of your contacts are backed up to your gmail account. If you don't have one, now's a good time to get one. And all of your paid apps will be backed up on the market. And basically anything else you should be able to live with out or will be able to find again.

1. You are able to use your phone right? Open ROM Manager and scroll to the bottom and find were you can flash AmonRa recovery. Should be under something like "flash alternative recovery". Let RM flash it for you.

2. Boot into recovery to make sure you have RA as your recovery. It'll look different than what your use to. Look at the bottom of the screen. Are you running RA???

3. If you are running RA let's move on... Before you do anything else I want you to download a couple of zip files.

a. This is a formatting zip file I have been using for ever, not one issue yet with using it. Calkulin' Format All, here's the link: http://db.tt/HOb0f5W

b. These are the most up to date radios for our evos.
Here's the link: http://db.tt/7GOzbhV

c. This is a link to a Rom over at adx... Stock/Rooted Sprint Update:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038701

It the latest update just rooted, nothing specail done to it. Just download the first one. It's unthemeable but if this works you should be able to just start flashing any Rom you want.

To make your life easy, either using your EVO or your CPU make a folder on the root of your sdcard labelled "Rootfiles" and move the 3 zip files you downloaded above into it. It will save you time and headache not having to scroll all over the place to find the zip you need.

After you do all this hopefully youll be back up and running. You won't beable to use any of your old backups. But that might be for the best. And make sure your battery has a full charge, it makes a difference later on.

"Read all of the steps below before you start, I'm going to have you flash the new radios and you don't want to miss/mess things up there."

Now after you get those zips on the root of your sdcard, boot into recovery.

1. Flash that reformatimg zip I gave you. Now I know I'm going to probably get flamed for this but, flash that zip 3x(just to be sure everything is wiped good). The first time will take a little bit of time. The next 2x will take almost no time. Just let it do its thing. Now we have a nice clean slate to start with.

"DO NOT BOOT UP YOUR EVO, JUST STAY IN RECOVERY"

2. Next flash the Rom file.

"DO NOT BOOT UP YOUR EVO, JUST STAY IN RECOVERY"

3. Now you want to flash the new radios. When you do this you need to let of finish. Your EVO is going to rebooot its self a couple of times during the whole process. Let it do its thing, I've had it take anywhere from 3 minutes to around 10 minutes. Just get the zip going and walk away for a few minutes. And here's why you want a fully charged battery. If you were to run out of juice (or get impatient and pull the battery) while you are flashing the new radios... It's game over, you will brick your EVO. So ya... its kind of important not to mess this step up.

When the radios are done you will either be left in recovery (if it does, just boot up your EVO) or your EVO will be booted up. Which ever it is, your pretty much done. Resign into your gmail account and all that.

You should at this point also update your prl and profile. To do this go to Menu-> Settings-> Systems Updates.

Now.... see of it worked. Let me know how you made out and good luck.

Philly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21