Should I update to Gingerbread?

newmomto1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't. Was waiting for the Netflix fix which seems to be here..
But, I just scrolled through the sticky with all the GB bugs and I asm wondering if it is worth it?
I am a little scared :p
Those of you who have updated...is it worth it?
Anyone else stcking with froyo??

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with froyo. After extensive reading here and several other forums including the Sprint and HTC forums I decided not to go with the update to GB. I know a lot of people have had it go smoothly, but for every one person that it worked fine for, there seems to be 50 that it screwed something up. I like the way my phone is right now.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with froyo. After extensive reading here and several other forums including the Sprint and HTC forums I decided not to go with the update to GB. I know a lot of people have had it go smoothly, but for every one person that it worked fine for, there seems to be 50 that it screwed something up. I like the way my phone is right now.

Imo, gb is most definitely NOT worth it. Stick with froyo, maybe for the life of your phone. I wish I could switch back to froyo, but so far cannot find a way. I have not noticed any positives since the update plus, and this is a maaaaajor one, my battery life has been slashed by 33%. I dealt with the pathetic stock battery for a while then finally bought the extended a month ago. The extended battery was effing awesome, until the update. It's almost like Android and HTC are out to keep us from having more than 10 hours battery life... Stick with froyo.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have updated my Evo and if you are still on Froyo then I would say don't! What little you gain with 2.3 is not enough to mitigate the fact that this built of the OS has many issues.

I also have a Nexus on 2.3.4 and several of the issues are similar between the two phones, enough to convince me the problem is with Google and GB and not HTC/Sprint.

westie3130

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I am sticking with Froyo. Way too many problems with GB- for the few advantages, not worth all of the problems. I am waiting for the Galaxy S2- will carefully read reviews before any purchase and switch. I have had the EVO since launch- a shame it was ruined for so many by GB. Don't know where the fault lies, but someone screwed up big time.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The issues caused by GB's initial release have been fixed with the 2nd release that came to patch up those issues. GB is much better version of Android, and any user would be completely giving themselves a displeasure of not having it. It runs smoother, and manages memory and apps much better. So if your sticking with Froyo, that is dumb decision. Because your also missing out on certain apps that are only coded for GB, like say Equalizer apps for music apps. GB has many more built-in features that can be utilized by apps.

Other issues were more user error then anything. As Android Central guys themselves have stated to everyone in many topics. When doing any type of OS upgrade, like say from 2.2 to 2.3. It is always best to perform a factory data reset after upgrading and starting fresh. Trust me, if you stick to that then you won't suffer from many problems at all.

I am sticking with Froyo. Way too many problems with GB- for the few advantages, not worth all of the problems. I am waiting for the Galaxy S2- will carefully read reviews before any purchase and switch. I have had the EVO since launch- a shame it was ruined for so many by GB. Don't know where the fault lies, but someone screwed up big time.

Nobody screwed up, but if everyone listened to what the experts tell everyone to do when doing these upgrades. We wouldn't be seeing as many problems reported. Again with any OS upgrade, a factory data reset after upgrading is always the best. Many people complained exactly the same when Froyo came out, it never changes. The user just needs to follow the proper things to do.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have updated my Evo and if you are still on Froyo then I would say don't! What little you gain with 2.3 is not enough to mitigate the fact that this built of the OS has many issues.

I also have a Nexus on 2.3.4 and several of the issues are similar between the two phones, enough to convince me the problem is with Google and GB and not HTC/Sprint.

It just seems ironic to me that I don't suffer really any issues at all. Which leads to believe it's not the OS, and in-fact something else. I also own both devices.

Just show everyone is aware, and many of you may not be. HTC/Sprint released a second update for GB yesterday. Info here, and yes it is available. That does fix the battery drainage issue.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/70464

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
The thing that I find strange is that all the Dev's can modify these operating systems for the EVO and many other phones, Root and all this other fancy stuff, but the very people that created the OS to start with can't seem to get a good working upgrade for everyone. I upgraded my EVO when I first got it to Froyo 2.2 and it went smooth but at the time I had just got it and didn't have any app's on it, just my contacts. So maybe the real answer is you should factory reset you phone first, then do the upgrade, and then put app's and stuff back on there.

Maybe....??

HamRadioNut

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
See I havent seen a single bug in GB.
I came from my phone being rooted and unrooted since I am trading in soon. GB works great for me and battery is leaps and bounds better then froyo ever was from my reccolection of it.

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The issues caused by GB's initial release have been fixed with the 2nd release that came to patch up those issues. GB is much better version of Android, and any user would be completely giving themselves a displeasure of not having it. It runs smoother, and manages memory and apps much better. So if your sticking with Froyo, that is dumb decision. Because your also missing out on certain apps that are only coded for GB, like say Equalizer apps for music apps. GB has many more built-in features that can be utilized by apps.

Other issues were more user error then anything. As Android Central guys themselves have stated to everyone in many topics. When doing any type of OS upgrade, like say from 2.2 to 2.3. It is always best to perform a factory data reset after upgrading and starting fresh. Trust me, if you stick to that then you won't suffer from many problems at all.

Nobody screwed up, but if everyone listened to what the experts tell everyone to do when doing these upgrades. We wouldn't be seeing as many problems reported. Again with any OS upgrade, a factory data reset after upgrading is always the best. Many people complained exactly the same when Froyo came out, it never changes. The user just needs to follow the proper things to do.

That's a pretty condescending post. Telling people that they're dumb because they like what they're using and don't want to change is a pretty insulting thing for you to say.

Last edited:

rockdiesel

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The only issues I had after the initial GB update was the compass and speech to text. After the 6/21 patch the compass now works properly. I have not tried speech to text yet (I hope this is corrected as this is a great feature). I did update voice search in the market yesterday, not sure if this was a fix for GB. Overall I like GB better than Froyo. My EVO is faster, battery is roughly the same maybe a tad better. I also like the refined pop-up dialog boxes. Web browser seems more crisp.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you do a factory data reset?

Yes and No I guess?. I just put on a 3.70 RUU when rooted and then ran the update and let it do its thing. . But it was wiped when doing the 3.70RUU install.

I lie now that I think about the glitches. nothing major though. When you are rooted and testing roms you consider what a problem is and what a glitch is much differently than a non power user.

I have seen a reboot when changing something in the camera once or twice. Camera a little more dim with low light conditions. Speech to text isnt as good as I remember it in the past.
Otherwise fine though. Faster and better battery life. Everything else works as intended from what I can see

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The only issues I had after the initial GB update was the compass and speech to text. After the 6/21 patch the compass now works properly. I have not tried speech to text yet (I hope this is corrected as this is a great feature). I did update voice search in the market yesterday, not sure if this was a fix for GB. Overall I like GB better than Froyo. My EVO is faster, battery is roughly the same maybe a tad better. I also like the refined pop-up dialog boxes. Web browser seems more crisp.

When I moved from the Evo (2.2) to the Nexus (2.3.4) I noticed the problem with the voice search function. After some troubleshooting I cleared the old voice recordings on the Google dashboard and the issue resolved,

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't. Was waiting for the Netflix fix which seems to be here..
But, I just scrolled through the sticky with all the GB bugs and I asm wondering if it is worth it?
I am a little scared :p
Those of you who have updated...is it worth it?
Anyone else stcking with froyo??

Why wouldn't you? Thats one of the joys of updating smart phones, figuring out the bugs and correcting before the Mfg/carriers can. I have a flip phone you can borrow until your ready to step up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss