best way to wake up device

ETjumps

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to wake up or power on the evo (or any android) without using the power button?, do they have an app where you could touch the screen a certain way or use one or any of the 4 buttons at bottom.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Double tap menu works for most phones. You can put a lock pattern as well. No way to power up device without power button to my knowledge. There's a swipe down to unlock that is stock on sense UI phones

ETjumps

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
so are you saying a double tap on menu button will power it on after the 2minute(or what ever is set) go to sleep mode has timed out

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
From sleep yes, but it will not boot up the phone. Double tap menu is set into android, sense added the slide down to unlock feature. You can check out an Eris, hero, or an incredible in the stores when it comes out to test it. I can even make a short video if you'd like later and host it on you tube. I'm on a 4 hour trip right now and don't have access to the camera

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
From sleep yes, but it will not boot up the phone. Double tap menu is set into android, sense added the slide down to unlock feature. You can check out an Eris, hero, or an incredible in the stores when it comes out to test it. I can even make a short video if you'd like later and host it on you tube. I'm on a 4 hour trip right now and don't have access to the camera

I would like a video if you wouldn't mind doing it, once you are back from your trip of course. Thanks!

ETjumps

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
that's cool, I was looking for another way to wake up phone from the lower buttons or screen, instead of just the power button, so when i set it down for 20min., I can double tap menu then work slider and phone is ready.
thanks, look forward to your video too

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
no problem, ill do it real quick
The only thing that may prevent this is that the hero has physical buttons and the Evo doesn't. Maybe someone with a Droid can chime in to see if it works with that. I'll post the link soon.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Here's the link. Sorry about the video quality, I took it on a Palm Pre (not trying to say its bad, but its a dark room). The first screen is the lock screen, then you can either slide or hit menu to get past it. 4 options, 3 posted
Menu+Menu
Menu+Slide
Power+Slide
Power+Menu

SenseUI unlock video

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
After playing with my sister's N1 today, which has similar buttons to the Evo, I'm sad to say that I no longer thing you can avoid hitting the power button to wake the phone. Since they aren't physical buttons, they require the phone to be awake in order to record finger inputs. Sorry all.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
The power button is in an awkward place for me.. I'm used to it being a little more towards the top edge of the phone like it is on a 3GS.

I keep hitting the edge and not the button, lol :)

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The menu button on the Hero is a physical button though, so it's not disabled. The EVO disables the capacitive buttons when the display is turned off. This is what I have heard.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I corrected my statement. You need to hit the power button. Sorry. Didn't know enough about the phone at the time. I realized this after playing with my sister's N1 right after she got it. She was the one who told me about double tapping menu for my hero (she had a MyTouch 3G).

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
would there be anything stopping someone from writing an app that leaves the touch response working on the menu button and just not have it lit up? or not because Im guessing the buttons are part of one big touchscreen controller so theres no way for that button to register a touch without the whole screen being able to register touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos