Active GB bug/update issues - can anyone help? Clearly listed...

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Please be patient with these questions. I've looked at MANY links and posts and think I'm overwhelmed and am not sure of my conclusions. Yes, I'm willing to look, read, and try to figure it out for myself. I'm also capable, but it's just too much... I have dutifully tried to find answers and avoid extra threads.
PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE REPLYING...

As I'm composing this for myself and a friend, I just read the latest that confirms that we cannot return to 2.2 after the 2.3 updates...all stock, never rooted before; so that rules a shortcut out...:'(

I'm regretting not rooting before this update. I probably wouldn't have cared about GB as I haven't seen ANY advantage with it save one - better copy/past functionality which was a major improvement. All the bugs seemed to be worked out for me prior to this including the random "wrong text recipient" issue that I read the latest maintenance was to fix. The problems I've heard of since that make me avoid it until I can get assurance of the following issues.

I'm listing the specific problems I'm still having with the 2.3 update and hoping that others have some solutions that I haven't been able to find. I appreciate the thread that keeps it all up to date here as best possible, but it doesn't make it perfect.

Please don't reply with "me too's". My intention is for solutions and not just another thread where people can post their complaint. I am aware that others are having the same issue and can find plenty of posts on that for myself and in sharing with Sprint/HTC and google if needed.

Current Situation:
1) regular stock evo...updated to 2.3 thinking it would be "nice". Got on the "ooh..ooh..ooh..." bandwagon and only waited a few days after availability. I was very wrong! I've done 2 factory resets. While I've curbed certain problems, the following remain and do not appear to have any fix including what is listed in the latest update to supposedly fix other problems. I've read bad things and don't even want to go there. The following are still issues with some not appearing to be something that will change:
  • a) Compass is still screwed up
  • b) GB uses appx 20mb more of memory so that messes with Sense. I've done enough and tracked enough after 2 data resets to figure this out. I've gone tor the awesome GO Launcher EX (love it) which has helped with some of the Sense reloading type issues dramatically, but I lose the Sense widgets that I do like to use..
  • c) speaking of widgets, the GPS direct control as well as mobile data HTC widgets are now "wonky" sometimes working and sometimes not, usually requiring two or three tries for on or off. In fact, for awhile turning GPS on/off was actually not something I could escape from and return to the app that activated the need to do so. This just seemed to finally start working (ie, maps, navigation, mytrack, others..)
  • d) Battery life is AWFUL now. I had it all under control before, but now it's just ridiculous. Probably cut 30 to 50 off of normal use. I've used it enough to know and tried different batteries as well as reviewing my running apps. Also, power affecting settings are back to pre-GB update settings... No, the battery doesn't seem to last any differently between Sense and GB, but I'm not going back to Sense for a second run test of this because of the constant reloading delays...
  • d) GPS and mobile data controls that do work are inconsistent..even those built in to stock or Sense. It will say on but really off and vice versa in the notification bar. Have to test to make sure so I know it's not something affecting the battery especially.
  • e) Bluetooth connection to my car now regularly disconnecting and reconnecting. On car forum for my new car, I see others with the same problem since the 2.3 update. I never "connected the phonebook" so that supposed solution can't be it. Also, I've heard that doesn't fix it anyhow.
  • f) Voice Search - google - does NOT work in the car even when I'm sitting still. I've seen others' post this. This is without a radio jack plugged in and even pulling the power plug wondering if that affected it. Also, any light background noise...just doesn't work. I've been able to get it to work in complete silence inside AND talking close and forcefully (angrily) to the mic. This tells me they messed with the mic sensitivity...well, perhaps. This is a major problem for me too with traveling as I utilize it for messages AND navigation and location searches. I am, in fact, taking a major road trip and am in need of this working...Vlingo is cool, but it's not as effective and takes up precious space on the phone and not the SD card. *Note, I've tried the cache clear fix...doesn't help me.
  • g) NEW ADDED: LED notification light not flashing...I can't believe I forgot this one. Despite all of my settings and rechecking and even checking per app....the LED light is randomly (like 1 out of 30 times) choosing when to notify me of text or mail. It just will not blink. I can't figure out why it does the few (oh so few times) that it has as I haven't changed anything.

*I saw mention that the compass functionality has been brought to Google Dev's attention, but I don't know if that's a company developer or a nickname..no need to answer, just acknowledging the post.
SOME ATTEMPTED FIXES THAT DON'T WORK FOR ME:
*Yes, I do have the "fast boot" thing turned off.
*With data resets have come "fresh starts." Still, caches are cleared regularly and even data has been cleared requiring a "start over" per app in some instances...Also good for finding space in the memory...
* Having done the factory data resets, I've free up A LOT of space on the phone so that is not an issue. No low space warnings. Same problems whether 60 mb free or 100 free for storage. Also, same problems whether RAM is high/low.
* I do not deal with task killers as normally running fix so they aren't interfering with anything.

2) I and a friend would like to return to 2.2 and root, but that will obviously have to wait...

3) I'm not asking about any downloaded app issues with the update like Netflix or any others as that's an app developer issue or update and not HTC/Sprint necessarily. I don't Netflix, but for awhile I did find that My Tracks didn't register the GPS as on even though it was...

I would appreciate only constructive feedback. I tried to keep this to the point and properly detailed.. I think I've done pretty good job of ferreting everything out before posting - especially after 2 factory data resets, re-installs (not backed up copies thus a full "clean house") as well as going through a lot of settings both obvious and only seen via special apps (non-rooted stuff).

Yes, I'm bringing my issues to Spring and HTC directly after doing my best to test and research and be patient with problems.

I don't really blame Android, per say. I know it comes back to HTC and Sprint in their tests before updating......

I started looking to root to hopefully fix, but after going through here and realizing it's not available for 2.3 yet I think I'm up the creek without a paddle....
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...e-if-you-want-root-rooted-have-questions.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...hacks/61188-evo-rom-kernel-goodies-bible.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...sa-rooting-new-2-3-not-possible-yet-read.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...ware-clear-text-passwords-database-files.html
I've included the rooting links for anyone else. Also, they are for me too as I need to close those 5 tabs on the browser :)

Jec

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Active GB bug/update issues - can anyone help? Clearly listed

If the maintenance update didn't fix anything for you, then I'd suggest getting a replacement phone.

Good luck.

Reactions: jecilop

tiny2nz

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I hope you have more luck with your fight than i did.... i have been in contact with Johnathan at Dan atsprint.com and HTC and both blame each other and google.... they will not budge with anything I asked for a different phone which they did and still same problems. I wish someone would admit they messed up and roll back all this GB nonsense

:)
Good luck and stay thirsty my Friend

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

[*] d) Battery life is AWFUL now. I had it all under control before, but now it's just ridiculous. Probably cut 30 to 50 off of normal use. I've used it enough to know and tried different batteries as well as reviewing my running apps. Also, power affecting settings are back to pre-GB update settings...

i too am having the battery issue, and i have littered this forum many times about it from different angles. would be nice if we could group up and send a big letter to sprint/htc/google to fix this. i know that not everyone is having the issue, but i also know that more than some are. i keep getting the excuse that the person i am talking to doesnt have the battery issue so it must therefore be something that i am doing wrong, yet i have not and am not experiencing any of the other issues that have been posted here on the forums (compass, voice, ghost vm icon, etc) and that hasnt stopped htc from fixing or trying to fix those. hopefully this stuff will all get sorted out soon!

oh, and have you noticed any battery life difference after using the Go launcher EX versus Sense?

tiny2nz

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Guys.... the sprint rep i have been in contact with said(indirectly) the only way sprint will do anything is if they reach a threshold of complaints of the same thing so call email chat
send email to dan@sprint.com
be nice if you dont get a responce send another and be nice
call and be nice
take it to a supervisor but be nice
be nice until its time not to be nice

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried a factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
as mentioned in the post...2 times I've done a factory reset. I see its benefits.
However, these are the problems that persist.....

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
as mentioned in the post...2 times I've done a factory reset. I see its benefits.
However, these are the problems that persist.....

In sorry. I read alot of threads everyday, and I'm not going to lie to you. I skimmed it and missed that :p

Rooting seems like your best bet. Hopefully it wont be long until a method is available :)

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site

In sorry. I read alot of threads everyday, and I'm not going to lie to you. I skimmed it and missed that :p

Rooting seems like your best bet. Hopefully it wont be long until a method is available :)

Yes, I suppose you do ;-)

From your experience, does rooting actually fix such problem though? That is, is there some easy tweek to this? I ask because it would seem someone would have caught that in the maintenance update that doesn't appear to have fixed it and only caused other problems like with e-mail (non-gmail).

I'll still want to root, but if these aren't fixed then I'm hightailing it back to 2.2 after root (and flash?) until these are fixed....I would miss the copy/paste and cursor placement help which I do love...but it's not worth these problems..

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I suppose you do ;-)

From your experience, does rooting actually fix such problem though? That is, is there some easy tweek to this? I ask because it would seem someone would have caught that in the maintenance update that doesn't appear to have fixed it and only caused other problems like with e-mail (non-gmail).

I'll still want to root, but if these aren't fixed then I'm hightailing it back to 2.2 after root (and flash?) until these are fixed....I would miss the copy/paste and cursor placement help which I do love...but it's not worth these problems..

Rooting is your best option when able to do so...using a custom Rom will give a totally new experience! I believe custom ROMS are tested more than the stock Rom that Google releases.