Visual Voicemail issues Fixed!

lgtsbr

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Per the few threads that I have seen, I thought I would post the 2 things that seem to have fixed my issue in the hopes that it fixes others issues as well. For the background, please see this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/95927-voicemails-all-going-text.html

In short, I got help from the Sprint forums as well as a Sprint tech. The Techs advice:

Checking into the systems, I am showing that the visual voicemail is still pending on the server and is waiting to be delivered.

Commonly what can correct this is to have your phone reactivate itself in the Visual Voicemail system. To do this, just open the Visual Voicemail app on the phone and send a voicemail to the email activate@vvm.sprint.com

When it asks you record something, you can just stop it and send the message. Give it about 5 minutes and see if that corrects your voicemail issue. If not, more advanced troubleshooting may be needed and I would have to ask you to call in to tech support. The number for them is 1-888-211-4727 and if at all possible, please call from a phone other than your EVO.

From the thread linked to me:

I recently discovered an issue with Sprint VVM in relation to Handcent messaging. If you updated to the newest version of Handcent (3.9.5) and you went to settings>default applications in Handcent and disabled the stock SMS application, it also breaks your visual voicemail. You will no longer get messages downloaded to your phone, they will only show up as a notification that you have messages in your text application. To fix this, go into Handcent, press menu, settings, application settings, default messaging applications and then check "disable". Then go to your VVM application, hit menu, compose and enter your own number as the send to, hit record for 4 or 5 seconds, then hit send. The VVM app will then download any messages you had waiting.

Again, I'm not taking credit for anything, just passing on the info.

Hope it helps you guys like it did me - I'm all fixed

Dave

Ha Chickee Pitah

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue with all of my vm's going to text, and it turns out it was a Google Voice issue. I had the Sprint tech's completely wipe Google Voice from my phone, and then had them reset my vm completely.

I had an old google voice account that I had used on my iphone. I used my mobile # as the "back up" number that GV requires. When I switched to using Google voice on my Evo, I couldn't just "disable" GV because it requires a "back up" number (I couldn't just deactivate my account altogether apparently), and I don't have a land line or some other phone # to use.

It was VERY frustrating. The Sprint techs were very helpful, though, and did everything they could to help me, even though it was the day of the 3D launch.

markmebane

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Per the few threads that I have seen, I thought I would post the 2 things that seem to have fixed my issue in the hopes that it fixes others issues as well. For the background, please see this thread:

In short, I got help from the Sprint forums as well as a Sprint tech. The Techs advice:

Dave
Wow! An hour on the phone with Sprint tech support and they couldn't help. 2 minutes in this forum and the problem is solved. Awesome!

SHADCHA

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I knew I would find the answer to this problem here in the forums. After being on the phone with Sprint's crack team of techs for like 3hrs, with no solution I might add.... it took me no more than 2mins to fix this issue. Thanks again for posting this.

androidtechrep

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I knew I would find the answer to this problem here in the forums. After being on the phone with Sprint's crack team of techs for like 3hrs, with no solution I might add.... it took me no more than 2mins to fix this issue. Thanks again for posting this.

I know I am going to be put on blast for this post but I am a Sprint tech specifically for Android devices, a SME to be exact, and one of the biggest problems we are having with this issue is customers wont own up to adding any text related apps to their phones. But guess what, when we hard reset the device it fixes the problem, which means we are deleting which ever app is causing the problem. Just throwing that out there. If you have to call be prepared to be honest or all we can do is hard reset. Now don't get me wrong......we do have some careless, incompetent reps who don't ask enough questions but at the same time a lot of customers aren't that cooperative to begin with.

lgtsbr

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I know I am going to be put on blast for this post but I am a Sprint tech specifically for Android devices, a SME to be exact, and one of the biggest problems we are having with this issue is customers wont own up to adding any text related apps to their phones. But guess what, when we hard reset the device it fixes the problem, which means we are deleting which ever app is causing the problem. Just throwing that out there. If you have to call be prepared to be honest or all we can do is hard reset. Now don't get me wrong......we do have some careless, incompetent reps who don't ask enough questions but at the same time a lot of customers aren't that cooperative to begin with.

not going to blast you at all, in fact I applaud you for your honesty!

I will say this - the rep I spoke with via PM on Sprints boards was extremely helpful. But you are correct, he did not ask which text message program I was using - I found that part of my answer in another thread linked from another user trying to help me out

Dave

kdechols

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: Thanks OP. Great advice and it corrected the issue in GO SMS as well. Thanks so much!

Can anyone advise of the steps to correct this issue using GO SMS Pro as well???

I share the sentiment with Sprint Reps. On the phone for over an hour and was never even asked about SMS apps. Once I called because I accidentally set my phone to swype input and did not know hot to get it back- I was on for 30 minutes before just hanging up on someone. 5 minutes in the forum and I had an answer...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dmc1964

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Dave

Hey I have been on the phone with sprint today 3 times to fix this problem and I was told to take it to a sprint store,but thanks to you I am all fixed too. Thanks for the help everyone handcent was the problem all along on my Evo 3D

slipstream

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it and it worked. EVO 4G with Handcent installed as default app. Only tried the 1st fix by OP, and partially the 2nd fix (disabled option to have Handcent as the default app). VMs are coming in now, even after I went back into Handcent and re-enabled Handcent as default app.

Seriously, what one of the above posters said - 2 minutes of googling solved what 1 hour with Sprint reps could not...

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Also not going to blast you Rep, but I gave up calling for help when I had a problem receiving MMS messages, and a rep spent an hour on the phone with me telling me to delete this and delete that until the phone was bricked. When I told him the phone was bricked, all he could say was you have insurance and a warranty, I can put in a ticket for a new phone for you, expect it in 3 to 5 days, OR go to your local Sprint Company store and they will fix it for you. This was at 9pm at night. To say the least I was furious. I did a search in these forums on white screen lockups or something like that and reinstalled the software and I fixed my own phone. When my 1 year was up I rooted it and haven't had a problem since, I swap between a Sense based OS and Cynamogen with Cynamogen being my main OS. No offense but some reps need to be either trained better or need to know how to ask questions. The rep I had just kept making me delete files until the phone wouldn't boot because I truly believe he had no idea how to fix it and figured if I brick the phone I will just get a new one and the problem would be solved..

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
To the op...you are awesome! I spent over 2 hours with Sprint and they told me I had to do a hard reset which I did not want to do. Thank you for the great advise!

StellaSF

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahh bless you! A post on Sprint went unanswered and I've tried everything and didn't have Handset or Go SMS so was very frustrating. This worked instantly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon