So how fun is it going to be getting all your contacts from a Pre to an Evo..

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
...or any other modern Android device for that matter. For people that switched from the Pre to the Hero, how did it go?

Did Android get confused by all those linked contacts? Did it automatically figure out what people were on facebook? Or does the facebook app do that automatically once you sign in for the first time?

I have close to 500 contacts with addresses in my Pre, how good are the chances that I will see all those in tact once I get the Evo?

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about this yesterday actually. I have my contacts split between my google contacts, facebook, and Palm Profile. What happens with the linked synergy?

ETjumps

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to find this out too, I'm coming to Evo from Palm 700. How can I transfer my contacts , calender, memos to android?

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Currenly a Pre users and my contacts, calendar, email are all stored in my Gmail account (personal) and my Exchange account (work). Since I'm not using Palm Profile for anything but backup, I anticipate no problems. Having my personal stuff in the cloud and my work stuff on a server in the company's data center, I figure I configure the EVO to sync with those sources and bam, all my contacts, email, calendar events are on the new device. Should be an easy transition. Now, if you've got contact info and the like stored in Palm Profile, I'm not sure what options you have for getting the data out but would highly suggest you move it elsewhere in the cloud ... somewhere not tied to a device (like the Palm Profile). For others with info stored locally on a handset, I'd sync to a PC to get it off the handset and then figure out a way to get it off the PC and in to the cloud somewhere (gmail (including contacts and calendar) is a great option). Realize it may not work for all and is easier said than done. I made the switch when I had the 800W.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to find this out too, I'm coming to Evo from Palm 700. How can I transfer my contacts , calender, memos to android?

From a Treo 700, I'd use a migration tool to go from Palm Desktop up to a Google account. IIRC there are several options out there. When I was preparing to go from a Treo to my Pre I used Companionlink for Google and it worked great.

I think it cost me $30, which seems a bit high for a one-time use. I was using it to sync a google calendar with my Palm desktop already though, so the price was already paid.

If you export from Palm Desktop to a csv file, I think you can directly import that to Google contacts, although you might need to open in Excel and rearrange the column order to match what Google is expecting.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh and as for synergy bringing everything together under one contact ... I've read that contact linking of some sort is part of EVO but am not sure how it works and if it is part of Android 2.1, HTC's Sense UI or both. More info on how contacts, calendar events and email (all from both gmail and exchange sources) will appear on the EVO would be great. The Pre integrates these things very nicely.

djdisturbed

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Its going to be easy for my, all my contects are in gmail or facebook, google docs and everything else is synced to my mac w/ missing sync and doubletwist. One thing i learned a long time ago, when being a "first adopter" of a device (got my pre on launch day) never put all your eggs in one basket, so i never used my palm profile for anything.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, last I checked, both phone have a usb port, so pretty easy (Those cellbrite systems you read about do this). They will do it free in the store... or you can save all your contacts from your Palm Profile to google pretty easily from the phone. I haven't touched a pre enough in 5 months to remember how to do that, and I've had all my contacts in a google account longer since Synergy decided to take a crap and lose all my contacts... every last one of them.

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
There is a patch to export all to a vcard and email. I did that today, and I got all of my contacts off my Pre pretty easily (I'll miss preware on the EVO, that's for sure).

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting it to be real easy as mentioned. All my stuff is in gmail.
One thing for sure it has to be easier than getting my contacts ON the Pre o:

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
k, i have all of my contacts, including my FB contacts on my gmail. im not too familair with how this is gonna go with android. does android also have some sort of thing that pulls your facebook contacts?

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
...or any other modern Android device for that matter. For people that switched from the Pre to the Hero, how did it go?

Did Android get confused by all those linked contacts? Did it automatically figure out what people were on facebook? Or does the facebook app do that automatically once you sign in for the first time?

I have close to 500 contacts with addresses in my Pre, how good are the chances that I will see all those in tact once I get the Evo?

If this has been posted/answered already, sorry....

On your pre, install the "send all contacts via email patch."

Once installed, send all your contacts to an email of choice.

Once you have sent the contacts to that email address via vcard.zip file save it to a folder and unzip it in that folder.

Go to your Gmail account, go to the contacts section, and import your unzipped vcard. Boom Done!

I hope this helped

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Google Sync for the win :D I started using it back on my first BB and continued when I switched to my iPhone so downloading my contacts will be a breeze

nextelfixer

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

You can easily transfer all your contacts from your Pre to your new phone. Just stop by any Sprint ASC (authorized service center) and let them hook up your two units to their cellebrite. We have one and can transfer from just about any phone to any other phone. And the best thing is that Sprint picks up the tab for the data transfer. It is free to all customers. Hope this helps :)

Cliffs71

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the Sprint store do it for me when I switched from the Pre to the Hero (and will be upgrading to the EVO day one). Unfortunately, only my phone numbers transfered over. Email addresses were a not carried over for some reason. I had to manually reenter them from my Pre.

But boy was I glad to get rid of the Pre. Generally loved WebOS, but the hardware quality on that thing was pathetic. The Hero (and I'm assuming the EVO) are the first phones that don't make me miss my old iPhone.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
if you have a pre and you contacts are under palms cloud, you can go to any sprint store and they can transfer all your contacts to google if you have a gmail account.

thats what I did

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
im sure itll be easy for me to pull my contacts (i have em all on gmail) what im worried about is profile linking. palm pre has all contact numbers linked together really well. i hoping android does something simalar. i dont want to have the same contact in 8 different places.

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
im sure itll be easy for me to pull my contacts (i have em all on gmail) what im worried about is profile linking. palm pre has all contact numbers linked together really well. i hoping android does something simalar. i dont want to have the same contact in 8 different places.

Sense and Android have something similar. It's not as good as Synergy, but it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers