Signal Strength Attenuation

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Any one notice a drop in signal strength when holding the bottom half of this phone? While calls do not appear affected, data is significantly affected. Any touching (no squeeze necessary) appears to drop my signal from 5 bars to 1-0.

I am taking my device back today and checking to see if a second unit behaves the same way.

Anyone looking to buy the phone check this out before purchase.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you try a different handset to see if it suffered the same attenuation problem? If it only occurs when holding/cupping the very bottom of the phone then I should be ok. It's very rare for me to hold the bottom of the phone. I rarely use landscape mode so it wouldn't be an issue there.

I'm debating on getting this phone to replace my EVO so any insight is appreciated.

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Did you try a different handset to see if it suffered the same attenuation problem? If it only occurs when holding/cupping the very bottom of the phone then I should be ok. It's very rare for me to hold the bottom of the phone. I rarely use landscape mode so it wouldn't be an issue there.

I'm debating on getting this phone to replace my EVO so any insight is appreciated.

I have not tried this yet. Customer care told me to replace the unit. I will check back. But if you go to a store check it out before you buy it.

Bigram70

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem, when I hold the phone from the very top with my thumb and pointer finger the signal is really high but when I hold it from the bottom gently, I go to near 1 bar to non. What happened to you with your design and what did you do to fix it? I'm thinking ill call Customer care in the morning to see what they say.

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I just replaced my unit and the same problem exists. I was going to take it back and get another phone but I really like the look and feel of this phone. I ordered a case to solve the problem. I was going to put a case on the phone anyway.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Where are you holding it that this is happing and you should let sprint CS know so thrusting can tell HTC and they could fix it with a softwire fix

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Just put a seidio surface case on the phone. The case adds some bulk to the phone (more than prior seidio cases). However, the case appears to be better built than other cases. Additionally, the signal problem appears to be solved. I highly recommend the seidio case if anyone needs one. Looks great and feels sturdy.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to jet you know I went to a sprint store to try the phone out and one if the employees had the phone and I held every why possible and I did not lose signl like your claming you do

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DanteTheWimp

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Guys if you take off the battery plate on the bottom of the phone you will see hold strips on the plate itself. Those are your antenna. It you cover them you may get a slightly amount of signal loss but it shouldn't be much of anything. If you leave that plate off than your 3g and 4g won't work even when roaming is on. It's possible if you have signals problems that you have a connection problem there.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

bvandrasik#AC

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Just put a seidio surface case on the phone. The case adds some bulk to the phone (more than prior seidio cases). However, the case appears to be better built than other cases. Additionally, the signal problem appears to be solved. I highly recommend the seidio case if anyone needs one. Looks great and feels sturdy.

How could putting a case on the phone possibly alleviate this problem?

DanteTheWimp

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't make the issue better, but I use a rubberized case and I wouldn't say my service is worse because of it.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

gbert88

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use the body glove case from sprint. It's the one that's rubber with a hard plate as well. I noticed that when the case is on my signal isn't as strong. When its off I load web pages faster n better signal. I would really like to get the same signal with the case on. Any help would be appreciated

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought putting case over it helped. Unfortunately I prematurely judged it. I called HTC and they were clueless about the problem. I imagine that the design f the phone is flawed. Ironic, since the name of the phone is The Design. It would be nice to have someone from the site look into the problem (and possibly help).

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
HTC escalations told me that they are aware of the problem and have no official fix as of yet. However, they said that they are currently evaluating the problem and plan to issue a fix if possible. I told them to notify me when the fix is available as soon as possible.

Roberbas

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
In my situation, whether I use a soft case or not, the signal does get attenuated if I hold the phone where the bottom of the phone rests in my palm.

I am wondering if those signal booster gadgets actually work. Have any of you tried those things with the EVO Design?

I also noticed that the signal strength, therefore voice quality over BT gets crackles and dropouts when I have the phone in my pocket on the same side as my earset. This never happened with my Palm Treo 800W with the same earsets (I have 3 of them). Interestingly, when I play music while the phone is in my pocket, there is absolutely no problem. I find it odd that same pocket, same earset, same phone, the voice call quality degrades when the phone is in my pocket, but not music sound.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2