root for the Design (instructions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okader

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Rooting it is easy. Once you root it you have to go through another process to unlock the bootloader. HTC has there own Site for that process. Once you do it right your phone screen will reboot and you will have to reactivate your phone. Good news is it should download all your app again. Or atmeast it did for me.

HTCdev - Please Log In

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

hmmm i thought i have to do the unlock bootloader first then do rooting!

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you updated your design then the supertool will not root your device.

What you need to do is: unlock the bootloader, Install a custom recovery, and flash the su zip.
I think 2fastroms has the downloads.

can you post the links? I know how to unlock just not how to root.

The dood

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if this will still work coming from the new stock ICS update? Has anyone here tried it yet?

Sent from my PH44100

xofnnelg

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

dpfaz59

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just unlocked my bootloader as per the procedure on HTCDev.
I was curious to see what "personal data" and settings would be lost. It did reset back to sort of the way I bought it, except it did have ICS. I did have to redefine all my email accounts, FB account and Twitter account. It started finding all the apps I had installed (they were on the SDCard) and they were reinstalled automatically. The desktop was quite a mess after that. I;m still working on getting them arranged the way they used to be. Oh, and all my contacts were gone. :( It's a pain but they warned me, so I can't complain too much.

Ljrazo2392

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I really just followed the instructions on that thread:
- install provided drivers on my PC.
- enabled the USB debugging on my phone.
- plug phone to USB and select "Charge only" option on the phone.
- unzip files on PC.
- run the "run.bat" app on the PC.
- type "1" to prepare.
- type "2" to root.
- type "reboot" and the phone will reboot. At this point, it should be rooted.

I forgot, but I think I had to press a couple of "Enter" after running the "run.bat" app.

Hope it helps...

Do you still have the. bat file you might be able to send through email its been takes down

Brickmaine

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
This is my fist time trying to root my Sprint htc EVO Design and I'd lke to know how and what I have to do to do so. what are all the steps? And what do I need? I also want to FLASH it to work on th Boost network. Some one help me please.

SumnSavage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This doesnt work on the second hardware model via sprint 4.0.3.

But here is my method of rooting for those at a loss.

Step 1 - Unlock bootloader through htc dev. Enter fastboot by powering off device removing battery, powering device on while holding volume down. Select fastboot. You might not have your android 1.0 driver. I browsed through existing drivers under android devices and selected a basic adb driver.

Step 2 - Flash CWM Recovery. Boot to fastboot and with your recovery image in your adb/fastboot folder enter this prompt through cmd. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img".

Step 3 - Flash this SU zip through your recovery.

Recovery - https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7f6n4khks1uq9t/recovery.img
SU-Zip - https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbevaw1bgakoeo9/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
CMD ADB Shell/SU - https://www.dropbox.com/s/88pfm0ifdvqjls1/PH44100 SU.png

JWSmythe

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
It looks like it. I think I finally got mine rooted with this. :) I'm not sure if these are perfect, I've tried a dozen different things that didn't work because mine is actually current.

My phone is a HTC Evo Design 4G from Boost Mobile, purchased about 3 weeks ago.

Model number PH44100
Android version 4.0.3
HTC Sense version 3.6
Software number 1.11.635.0 710RD
PRI Version 3.42_150
PRL Version 61009

I tend to be verbose with my instructions, so don't think this is hard, I just write a lot to avoid confusion.

Grab the first two files he linked.
Grab something with adb.exe and fastboot.exe (and any associated DLLs)
Stick them all in one directory.

1) Do the HTC unlock, which is documented everywhere else. You may also need to install the HTC ADB/USB driver, which is also documented everywhere.
2) Shut the phone down gracefully. Pull the battery, and put it back in. As I discovered, squeeze the sides of the cover, rather than push like the manual shows. You only need to flip the battery lever up and down, not actually pull it out.
3) Hold down Vol- and Power until it comes up the white boot loader screen.
4) use Vol+/Vol- to go to FASTBOOT. It probably defaults there.
5) Press the power button to select it. You'll now see fastboot in red and white.
6) Make sure your USB cable is plugged into the PC.
7) open a command prompt, and cd to where your files are.
8) type the following:
fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img

You should see this...
$ ./fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (4476 KB)... OKAY [ 2.820s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.763s]
finished. total time: 4.583s

9) Reboot.
10) Remember that JWSmythe loves numbered lists.
11) Copy Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip to the root of your SD card. If you do it through adb, it's /mnt/sdcard
12) Shut the phone down gracefully again. Do the Vol- and Power again to get into the bootloader again.
13) Use Vol+/Vol- to move to "RECOVERY". You'll see the HTC screen for a few moments, and then the lovely CWM Recovery screen.
14) Install the Superuser*zip.
a) arrow down to "install zip from sdcard", and hit power.
b) choose "zip from sdcard"" and hit power.
c) arrow down to Superuser*zip , and hit power. Follow the prompts to do it.
15) Reboot the phone again.

You should now see "Superuser" in your applications menu. What you do with it now is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.