Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm rolling my phone from 4.0.3 to 4.0.2 and I need help

Greetings,

To be blunt, 4.0.3 is the worst update for my Design I have ever witnessed. The entire quality of the phone went down significantly, so I want to roll the version back. I've read a bit on how to do this, and some people have listed the steps but not explained what those steps entail, or links to the programs that would achieve this. Can someone explain this like I'm a small stupid child, and provide quality links to the files I would need? Much appreciated.

Default Re: I'm rolling my phone from 4.0.3 to 4.0.2 and I need help

Do you have the links to the pages you read? I can't seem to find them.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Has anyone successfully rooted the Evo Design

Lolinternet seems to know what hes speaking about, but listing the steps doesnt show me where to find these files, or how to execute the rollback.

- - - Updated - - -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-design-4g/200094-has-anyone-successfully-rooted-evo-design.html

Lolinternet seems to know what hes speaking about, but listing the steps doesnt show me where to find these files, or how to execute the rollback.

Hey I just found this see if it works for root:
    Kingdom Utility_V1.2 (9/8/12)

Also I'm not sure how to roll-back to an update except by flashing a rom with that update.
    Last edited by xofnnelg; 09-10-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by xofnnelg View Post
    Hey I just found this see if it works for root:
    Kingdom Utility_V1.2 (9/8/12)

Also I'm not sure how to roll-back to an update except by flashing a rom with that update.
    Is this the root for the evo design?

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I read that forum and I am unsure if that is what works. This whole thing is irritating. HTC is trash for tech support, I just tried. They offer nothing in the way of guidance on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by santanalz View Post
    I read that forum and I am unsure if that is what works. This whole thing is irritating. HTC is trash for tech support, I just tried. They offer nothing in the way of guidance on this issue.
    Wow that sucks. I'm still looking for a root for the phone

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

The lag is just crazy, phone is just sucks now due to crazy lag... It's pathetic

I'm still on GB. Didn't like the lag and the keyboard was glitchy as hell using xScope browser, but I can't say whether or not it was because of ICS since it's just as possible that it was a problem with xScope itself.

Unless Sprint releases an OTA or someone gives us some solid AOSP love, I'll be sticking with GB.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by lolinternet View Post
    I'm still on GB. Didn't like the lag and the keyboard was glitchy as hell using xScope browser, but I can't say whether or not it was because of ICS since it's just as possible that it was a problem with xScope itself.

Unless Sprint releases an OTA or someone gives us some solid AOSP love, I'll be sticking with GB.

lolinternet,

I saw from another post you know your stuff on this. Could you provide links to the programs I would need to roll my Design from 4.0.3 to 4.0.2? I read on another forum the steps and can likely figure it out but googling these programs has turned up less than perfect results.

Quote Originally Posted by santanalz View Post
    lolinternet,

I saw from another post you know your stuff on this. Could you provide links to the programs I would need to roll my Design from 4.0.3 to 4.0.2? I read on another forum the steps and can likely figure it out but googling these programs has turned up less than perfect results.
    Post where you read this and I'll see if I can translate for you. I'm not a dev or anything, but I've done plenty of reading since I got my first Android in 2009. That being said, I haven't read anything about rolling back like that, but I'll see what I do for you if you post the link.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by lolinternet View Post
    Post where you read this and I'll see if I can translate for you. I'm not a dev or anything, but I've done plenty of reading since I got my first Android in 2009. That being said, I haven't read anything about rolling back like that, but I'll see what I do for you if you post the link.

Has anyone successfully rooted the Evo Design

You actually were where I got these steps from. Third post down. I'm not trying to do any funky fancy new ROM. When I updated 2 months ago from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3 my phone went from being magical (I came from a POS Blackberry) to rather mediocre. I lost a few features I really enjoyed from this update, and the phone is likely 30% slower in all UI actions. Just to give you a better picture, I believe I am currently on 3.6 HTC sense version, Android 4.0.3. I am unsure if I have the ice cream or whatever else sugar based treat ROM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Bump

Sorry. I'll get to it tomorrow. Are you sure you mean rolling back to 4.0.2 and not 2.3.4 Gingerbread like myself? As far as I understand, there was no 4.0.2 release for our device.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

From some quick research yes I believe you are correct. I had the gingerbread version and I now have the ice cream version. Unrelated but whoever names these needs a bat to the head....

Lol, ok that I can help you with. Tomorrow I'll post a novice friendly tutorial complete with links to needed files for anyone that wishes to downgrade. I just couldn't live with Evo Design ICS in its current state. Sprint really needs to do something about it, but I don't see that happening. The Design wasn't a very popular device despite its potential. It really is a great phone, but it never got the development attention it deserves.

Anyway, I'll post it up tomorrow if I have the time. I'm a single father, so it's not easy finding time to do these things, but I'll do my best.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Appreciated sir.

Sorry it's taken so long. I'm going to fully charge my phone, upgrade to ICS, then downgrade so that I can be sure to give the most complete step by step possible. I may even include pics, but we'll see about that.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

O wow. I really appreciate the effort you are doing to help me dude. I know there is a risk of bricking your phone, so my hat is off to you.

Well, I wasn't able to get to it last night. I'm actually still a little fuzzy on some of the details, so I'm trying to make sure I've got it right before I attempt it. I could always restore a backup from recovery, but I'm assuming you don't have that luxury, so I'm trying to verify all the steps necessary to return to Gingerbread without using a backup.

Between work and my two year old it's difficult to find the time, so please bare with me.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Take your time mate. I'd rather we do this once and correct than have issues and a non working phone.

After looking into a bit more, I'm not sure it'll be possible without using a zip that I've never tested before. It's designed for emmc based HTC devices just like ours, but like I said I haven't tested it and I don't know anyone else that has. The zip sets the Main Version of your current rom to a lower level which will allow you to flash older RUUs or roms.

Since I do have a back up and all the necessary files I think I'll test it out first before passing it on to you.

I do have some questions before I attempt this.

Do you have the Android SDK installed on your computer as well as the Evo Design drivers? It contains tools that will be necessary for you to perform the same steps if the setmainverlow.zip works. You'll need to be able to use adb and fastboot which are part of the SDK. Either way it would probably be best for us to connect on Gtalk for Windows so that I can walk you through the steps in real time.

Just reply back and we'll figure out a time to do all this. I'll test the zip tonight and post the results. I'm 90% sure it'll work, but as I've said I've never tested if before. Anyway, I'll give it a shot and we'll go from there.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Just got SDK. That took some time because the install .ini can't find the 64 bit version wooo...I can download google talk in a bit. Santanalz will be my tag.
    Last edited by santanalz; 09-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Gotcha. Chargin mah lazer now. Gonna hit it up in about two hours after it's fully charged and my boy is in bed.

Well, setmainverlow.zip flashed perfectly in recovery, but it still didn't allow me to get back to stock GB since I have a newer hboot.

I asked a guy that knows more than myself about it, and he said he was able to do it, but his phone is the Hero S on US Cellular. The Hero S is the same device as the Design, but it's branded for a different carrier and never received official ICS, so the process is probably different for us Design owners. In any case, I'll be in contact with him and we'll see if we can get it sorted for you.

In the meantime, I'll probably try to write up a more comprehensive guide for rooting the Design tomorrow because I see plenty of people asking about it and it'll be necessary for you anyway.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a little more productive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast