Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Guide: Rooting Your Evo Design...The Saga Continues

Interesting. I have tried the mount command in my C:\android\platform-tools and my C:\android and I get the same result. What file am I needing in the folder to activate the mount?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Accidental double post >.<
    Last edited by lolinternet; 10-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

It's not a file. It's just a command that connects (or mounts) your computer to your phones sdcard.

In the platform-tools folder, do you see the files adb.exe and fastboot.exe?

Are these files located at C:\android\platform-tools?

Also, the spaces are important. There must be a space between "mount" and "/sdcard". If not, it won't be recognized as a proper command. In cmd prompt spaces and the case of the letters are important. If I remember correctly, in cmd prompt "unlock_code.bin" won't be recognized as the same file as "Unlock_code.bin" but I could be mistaken. The same with commands...Fastboot =/= fastboot, and so on.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by santanalz View Post
    Interesting. I have tried the mount command in my C:\android\platform-tools and my C:\android and I get the same result. What file am I needing in the folder to activate the mount?
    You'll need to place recovery_signed.img and boot_signed.img in the platform-tools folder of the sdk on your computer, but they won't be written to the phone until after system.img which needs to saved to the sdcard. This is why you have to mount the sdcard...so that your computer can find system.img on your sdcard and write it to your phone.

All is as you describe. adb and fastboot, as well as the images are in the platform-tools folder. Do you think that because I'm on a 64 bit system this is not recognizing mount? I don't know why that would change anything. Also to clarify, CMD is case sensitive. The command, just so I know I'm not a moron , is "c:\android\platform-tools>mount /sdcard" yes?

Update, hitting /help lists all of the cmd commands and mount is not listed in the help list. Also some quick googling, mounting on a 64 bit system can be weird sometimes. Are you running on a 64 bit OS?
    Last edited by santanalz; 10-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

All is as you describe. adb and fastboot, as well as the images are in the platform-tools folder. Do you think that because I'm on a 64 bit system this is not recognizing mount? I don't know why that would change anything. Also to clarify, CMD is case sensitive. The command, just so I know I'm not a moron , is "c:\android\platform-tools>mount /sdcard" yes?

Update, hitting /help lists all of the cmd commands and mount is not listed in the help list. Also some quick googling, mounting on a 64 bit system can be weird sometimes. Are you running on a 64 bit OS?
    Yes, I'm running 64bit Win7 Ultimate.

The commands are:

C:\android\platform-tools

Press enter. Then,

mount /sdcard

Press enter again.

If you're doing exactly that, then it's possible that the drivers for your phone aren't installed correctly on your computer. You need to uninstall and reinstall the HTC drivers and try again. After uninstalling, reboot your computer then reinstall the drivers.

Edit: Here's a link to the drivers in case you don't already have it saved on your computer. Uninstall any HTC related software and give it another shot.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Do you have Google Talk installed on your computer? It would be a lot easier to help you out over Gtalk while you're performing the downgrade.

I'm, again, intoxicated. Ill try reinstalling this tomorrow and I can get Gtalk. Ill update you tomorrow morning.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

lololololol

Hope we get ya sorted out.

Uninstalled all HTC drivers. Shut down computer for about 5 minutes to clear cache. Booted and reinstalled. Same stuff. The command is not being recognized.

I have worked in software simple and driving a bit of underground wireless but this time I would like to support and learn about the development and compiled android system

why my htc continue as S = ON mode ?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

There is no S-off method currently. I've seen a few pictures of this phone with S-off, but they were all for Chinese phones.

I heard that 2fast4u88 at 2fastroms.com was working on an S-off method when he bricked his phone about a week ago. That's about the only way you can truly brick these phones.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Uninstalled all HTC drivers. Shut down computer for about 5 minutes to clear cache. Booted and reinstalled. Same stuff. The command is not being recognized.
    Hmm....let me ask someone and see what he thinks your issue is. I can't really tell where you're having the hang up if you're doing everything right.

Were you able to restore a backup so that you can still use your phone until we get this figured out?

Yes basically my phone is just rooted, and it works fine. Ironically it's a touch faster since rooting, probably from the apps being wiped. The irony of which is not lost on me...
    Last edited by santanalz; 10-05-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Can you please help me as well? I can get google talk - I'm trying to root my EVO 4G 2.3.5. I've been successful unlocking the phone and backing up using the command prompts but when I try to flash the Super File - I can't find it on my SD card in recovery mode on phone however when i look at my SD card on my computer I can see the file. Please help!!! Thanks

Mark
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Do you have the Evo Design 4G or the original Evo 4G?

There's also the Evo 4G LTE. Which one of these phones do you have? The files and steps posted in this thread are for the Evo Design ONLY. They will not work on another phone.

First-Thank you for the instructions on the design. I've decided to perform the GB downgrade due to ICS running slow as ---! Everything working good until... wiping system. I may have overlooked something in the recovery. Found data & cache-not system. also when opening CMD and looking for "mount/sdcard" it will not find. Please help as I'm extremely excited to get this all to work. Thx Again!

for those who can't get the mount /sdcard to work, here is what lolinternet had me do and it worked for me. Don't hold me or him accountable if something goes wrong LOL
    Before starting the process, make a restore point.

-select recovery from hboot. (the text on the phone should be blue)
    -wipe data/factory reset (scroll down and select YES)
    -wipe cache
    -select wipe dalvik cache.
    -when done scroll down and select go back to go to the previous screen.
    -select mounts and storage.
    -scroll down and select format system.
    -select mount sdcard

from now on, follow his post instructions
    Last edited by dadathepanda; 10-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    the panda has spoken
    Thanked by 2:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    for those who can't get the mount /sdcard to work, here is what lolinternet had me do and it worked for me. Don't hold me or him accountable if something goes wrong LOL

-wipe cache
    -select mount sdcard

Also, the option to wipe dalvik cache is under the advanced option on the main menu. It's not an essential step, but I do it to be thorough. I wipe cache and dalvik cache every couple days to keep my phone snappy. If you don't, you'll eventually notice a little lag because the cache keeps building eating up memory. It's also important to note that anytime you wipe dalvik cache it will take longer to boot when you finally reboot to system so be patient.

And, the mount /sdcard command has a space between mount and /sdcard. If you forget the space the command will not be recognized.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post

-wipe cache
    -select mount sdcard

Did this. Now my phone will not boot. I get to the white screen HTC logo and it hangs. Lolinternet said it would take longer to boot. I'm going on 20 minutes with it hanging. Is this normal?

Update. I was able to restore my restore point that I created and the phone works. Trying to do gingerbread now.
    Last edited by santanalz; 10-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Thanked by:
    jacse60 likes this.

lolinternet, thx, took a bit and figured it out. Once I wiped everything and mounted sdcard, ran the command prompt "mount /sdcard" says it wasnt finding anything I justed kept going with the next prompt in order, waited and voila, back to GB. Thought updated system after reboot was going to re-install ICS-freaked but know worries all is good. Now trying root! Thank you so much for time and links-everyone:-)
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

No, 20 minutes isn't normal. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes tops. Usually, takes about two or three.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Did this. Now my phone will not boot. I get to the white screen HTC logo and it hangs. Lolinternet said it would take longer to boot. I'm going on 20 minutes with it hanging. Is this normal?

Update. I was able to restore my restore point that I created and the phone works. Trying to do gingerbread now.
    Do you have USB Debugging checked under Settings > Applications > Development? You must have USB Debugging enabled to use adb and fastboot in command prompt.

Also, when you flash system.img with the dd command it will take a while. You shouldn't move on to the next step until you get a message in command prompt that tells you how long it took to write that file. It takes about five minutes. recovery_signed.img and boot_signed.img will both give you a message that says how long it took to write them as well, but they're small files so it shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Also, you can not skip relocking your bootloader. As I understand it, it must be relocked or else your phone won't boot.

Ok cool. Ill try this again later as I have some friends rolling over. I would suggest panda alters his post demanding that the user make a restore point because that saved my phone.

You HAVE to relock your boot before you try gingerbread?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast