Guide: Rooting Your Evo Design...The Saga Continues

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm using GB and it's been that way as long as I can remember. It updates when opened. I just live with it. If there's any kind of fix, I don't know it.

I'll see if I can find anything on Google in a bit.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

97DsM

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
First things first.... I cannot thank everyone enough for this guide, and for all the files used to make it work.

!.) I have been looking for months for a guide just like this,the problem I kept running into is that not alot of users have this device. I have had iphones before and other androids but I have to say that in my mind the Evo Designhas been the most reliable device I have every used...fast touchscreen responce, never get a force close error, loaded all my apps fast and with no issues ......That lasted until the ICS update which in my opinion...it turned a very good device into a paper wieght.. at that time I had not taken the time to research the root process for it, so it was stock and like a Dumb A** I updated before researching how it affected other users.

2.) I read this guide 3 or 4 times to wrap my mind around what I had to do, and to make sure I had all the software and files needed to get the job done, once again "Thank You All" you made very easy to bring my device back to GB, it took about 15-20 min, longest part was putting the img. onto the SD and the rest was just copy, past,read guide, and reboot device.....after unlocking HBoot, I was able to understand everything I was typing in cmd and what action the PC and Device where completing....

Q: The update notification...how does this work...as in ... could a process be made to remove or block the update option of the OS?
Q: I am wanting to find more good guides on making Custom changes or "tweaks" to my device....I want to be able to to change splash screens and boot animations, boot sounds, and a few other things... and does this require s-off ?

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
You can't really keep the device from notifying you about the ICS update, but if you download it and choose to install later, then you can reboot the phone and temporary files such as the downloaded update will be cleared. It may stay that way for 24-72 hours, but it'll come back, eventually. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it from recurring.

As for tweaks, boot animations, and splash screens, I'll get back to you with so links in a bit. None of them require s-off.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, you can't stop the phone from notifying you to update to ICS. However, you can get rid of the notification for a couple days before it notifies you again by downloading it, selecting install later, then rebooting to clear temporary files (such as the update you just downloaded). After rebooting, the notification will be gone, but it'll come back after 48-72hrs. Just rinse and repeat.

If your afraid that downloading the update will automatically install ICS, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're rooted, the update won't install even if you try. Plus, you have to select install after downloading for it to attempt to update to ICS. As long as you select install later, then reboot, it'll go away for a couple days. Also, if you select install by accident it will fail and you'll see a warning triangle with an exclamation mark. Just pull the battery and reboot and it'll be fine.

One more time...if you're rooted with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery, the ICS update won't install. You would have to unroot, relock bootloader, and return to stock GB for the update to work, otherwise it fails.

D Fish

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
hey if your still offering help ill take some
for some reason i cant get the recovery.img to flash and thats were i am stuck the cmd prompt says that it cant read the img name and not sure why

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
hey if your still offering help ill take some
for some reason i cant get the recovery.img to flash and thats were i am stuck the cmd prompt says that it cant read the img name and not sure why

I'll get back with you later today after I've had some sleep, but I'm not sure what the problem is. You'll have to tell me exactly what you did before you ran into the problem. If we can't get it sorted on AC, then I would be willing to walk you through on Gtalk if you like.

D Fish

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
this is a stand up guy right here ! i asked for help and within a few hours the proper help was delivered and yes it was my dumb , non reading correct, arse that was wrong (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) worked not (fastboot flash recovery.img) :-\ yes people there is a difference .Make sure you read and type the correct stuff into the command prompt and it will work just fine
thank you lolinternet

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
No problem. Glad I could help. I remember what it was like for me when I got my first Android, so I help with what I can. You're very welcomed.

DrBlackross

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
i thought it was complicated as the first post in this thread... its not.

1. goto htcdev.com unlock your boot loader
2. get clockwork mod 5.0.2.8 from 2fastroms rename to, i know this probably isnt the filename, PH1000.zip (you should see this filename scroll by a few times when you volume down+power on reboot), with the phone on normally move it to the base of the sdcard.
3. Reboot, Volume Down+Power to boot, it should find the ph1000.zip (unless windows named it *.zip.zip or something) and load that clockwork-mod file into the recovery menu of Hboot
4. Reboot and push down and select recovery to make sure it took, when you select recovery it should load the clockwork mod and fire it up for your use.... i kinda didn't know it installed under the recovery menu on HBoot, lol, so i flashed the CWM like 12 times, then chose recovery and boom it was there and realized it was there, i just expected Hboot to look different or something.
4.5 MAKE BACKUP OF PHONE TO SDCARD!!!! (use clockwork mod to do this, its right in the menu)
5. find (via the web), and install su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip THROUGH recovery menu (vol down+power menu) which is now CLOCKWORK menu, clockwork has a "install from zip file" menu for this....
(you now have superuser installed)
6. REBOOT to normal phone
7. goto play store, install superuser app, then busybox app....super user has to be installed first if not then busybox will say "hey i can't install this, no super user."
8. ok.... this point superuser and busy box should be installed, NOTE: i used smart install when installing busybox, and superuser popped up and asked if i wanted to let busybox install, that verified that superuser installed correctly.
9. REBOOT INTO RECOVERY, make a NEW backup and tack on the end of the filename some-date-here-ROOTED.zip.... I then i used ghost commander to move the original first backup (stock backup) and copied the second (rooted backup) to the fileserver in the basement. so if i screw it up i can find it. i did keep the rooted backup on the phones sdcard for restoring after i tried 2fastroms htc evo designs CyanogenMod10 rom.... it was neat, i liked it alot but there is no 4g (i cant tell) and i am sprint not us cellular (which is what the radio is set for).... BUT i do like CyanogenMod10, lol

soooo, i've spent the day today flashing roms, trying out evo design stuff and RESTORING the rooted back up, cause if you don't then you have to redo steps 5 though 7 each time. lol

clockwork mod files and thread....
Design(Sprint)-5.0.2.8(Bigger Text) - Downloads - 2FastRoms

but hey if your on us cellular and want to try it, heres the link CyanogenMod10 - Downloads - 2FastRoms

its really not that complicated, you want to fart around with super this or supertool this or that... blah blah.. go ahead, but easiest route htcdev.com, register, unlock it, hell they walk u through the steps. google the other parts.

shawnnkushh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I was a little surprised, after spending roughly $350 on the phone, to find that the HTC EVO Design 4G has almost no support, at least recently. There is a build/port of CM10 from back in august that is decently stable from using it the past week minus Bluetooth and recording. So I (like boost mobile) would like to help bring this phone back to life. I'm new to this and missing a Linux system but I'm willing to learn and maintain this and the hero S since they are practically the same phone if I can get some help, I know basic stuff but not python and such. I'm sure I can find a working device tree and post here if any bodies interested.

Sent from my EVO Design 4G using Android Central Forums

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. It would be awesome to see the Design get some much needed love. Let me know how I can help and I will do my best. Just say the word and I'll be your Ebola monkey.

gromanjr

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you know where I can get ther HTC drivers from? Htc no longer has them on their website and the mediafire link in your first post says theyre not there either. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21