Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lolinternet
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching carrier

Does anyone know if its possible to unlock the design's gsm for American carriers? I'd like to switch from boost to straight talk and I've seen that the design has the same bands that straight talk requires for their byop plan. What I read could be wrong but with boosts service where I live the phone is almost useless without wifi, so I'd at least like to give it a shot if not does anyone know of a decent htc phone that can be used on straight talk?

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Switching carrier

The GSM on the Evo Design is for out of the country use..Straight Talk only supports domestic GSM on At&t and T-Mobile I believe it is.

If you go on Straight Talks website I believe they have a list of compatible devices

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, my next question would be what's the difference between foreign and domestic bands, maybe I'm not understanding this but the foreign GSM on the design operates under 850 and 1900 MHz which is what straight talk requires for their plan. Unless I got the wrong information, what I don't understand is if its picks up signal on those bands in other countries for foreign providers. Would it not pick up the same frequency bands in the us granted you'd have to unlock it but maybe I have this wrong I'm new to all of this the way it sounds to me is that its like when the radio station changes in a car when. You go out of range, still works just that area is a different station brodasting something else, why not the same for phone antennas if I have this wrong tell me. Like I said I'm new to this the design is the first phone I owned that doesn't use a sim card

The Design does have a SIM card underneath the battery. You just can't use it with a domestic carrier.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, the reason I was trying to switch was because the service in my area is in and out and I wanted to keep the design and switch to straight talk.
    Since I can't do that I would like to find a phone similar to the design for either at&t or tmobile to flash to straight talk. I'm looking for a phone through one of those carriers
    with these features:
    1. SD card slot
    2.Front and Back facing camera
    3.4g
    4.ICS and similar setup to design

In addition considering it will be a while before I can get anther phone (waiting on the price to go down) I have rooted the design and downloaded rom manager and titanium backup, have my phone backed up and ready to go, problem is rom manager is saying I don't have clockworkmod. I used a program to root and I guess it either installed a different recovery mode or an incompatible version of cwm. I've searched where and how to install cwm and only found root and cwm not just the install itself and since I'm already rooted I just want to install or update cwm.

Any information on either subject would be appreciated,
    I would like to contribute myself but that will have to wait until I have a better understanding of how all this works.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information

Rom Manager doesn't work because our cwm is an unofficial port. I haven't seen an official cwm for the device. Doubt it'll ever happen to be honest.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So I won't able to use rom manager for anything, it will all be manually done (installing new rooms). But it can still be done correct?

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Hit me up in 2 months when I upgrade to the one x plus I'll sell the inspire pre rooted s off with a 16 gig reformated card and a wiped device (so you can get a clean go at it) ik that at&t phones run the str eight talk BC they run off at&T's net work for the most part

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

As no front facing camera but the bonus is it runs the same snap dragon chip has 1 gig internal ram pre rooted and a decent 8 Mega pixel back camera Nd an otter box

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks I'll see what happens saw a thread somewhere about unlocking the GSM for the US carriers according to what they looked into the issue isn't that it can't be done its a matter of it being locked by the provider. The thread trailed off and haven't heard anything since. But if there is someone dedicated out there to making this work there may be hope. In the mean time I got a crash course in rooting but I don't how to get s-off and that was something that was mentioned in the GSM conversation not exactly sure how it would fit in but just wondering what can be done once s-off is obtained