Unable to grant SU access

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I recently got a shift, and have been interested in rooting it. So i have been following D5's guide on rooting the Shift, and all went well until I tried to use cmd to grant SU access, step 3. i get all the way to typing in adb shell, but when i type in SU, it says access denied. USB debugging is enabled, i can see the super user icon in my app list, and i can even use it, somewhat. So i should be able to finish my steps, right? I hope i can get this working! thanks!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would make sure that your actually temp rooted, go back into Visionary and click temp root. If that's not it, did you make sure to click allow on your phone after typing SU?

Edit: Just read this in another thread, uninstall superuser before you temp root, if it's showing that it's installed.

Last edited:

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I will try temp rooting again. I figured I had been successful in rooting, simply because I could see the super user icon in my application list. I will try again, and report back. How do you know if temp rooting was successful?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you showed super user then you were probably temp rooted. I would start over though, delete superuser, redo the temp root then try again.

Make sure when you type SU you quickly click allow on your phone.

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How do I uninstall superuser? And I can't click anything to allow super user access, because I am told "denied" in the command prompt. Can I have an example of a root required app?

YoungCorruption

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
when i temp root i try accessing titanium back up to see if it works and it never does. idk why it doesn't temp root for me. i use visionary and it says rooting phone and they goes back to the screen where you have options to temp root and all that stuff but other times it restarts my phone afterwards

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I imagine in the same boat. Sometimes it reboots, but usually it goes back to the app screen. That's what I'm stuck at now. Trying to make the temp root stick.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I imagine in the same boat. Sometimes it reboots, but usually it goes back to the app screen. That's what I'm stuck at now. Trying to make the temp root stick.

If it goes to a black screen then back to the app menu you should be temp rooted and good to go. If the phone reboots then it didn't catch root

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
One thing guys if you try to temp root but dont and get the quick Access Denied you have to reboot both the PC and the Phone before you temp root and try again. The guys over at XDA made some how to videos here is the link

Perm root Evo Shift video Guide - xda-developers

Check out the videos and see if anything jumps out at you maybe your just missing something. I really think your just not getting temp root before you try to access supper user if you do that you foobarb the whole thing. The only way to fix it is to restart the PC and the Phone and start over. If you just cant get temp root you might need to try rooting with z4root if you cant find it let me know I will post it for you.

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
And then sadness. I finally got the "allow super user" prompt to appear on my phone. Attempting perm root, i get all the way to step 5, and then things don't got the way i want. I reboot the phone into bootloader, and s is not off, it's on. What??? im not sure what went wrong. in step 6, i did not get the correct md5 sum, so i followed the next few steps, and everything was correct. so idk what went wrong. I am gonna try the guide D5 posted. hopefully all goes well.

YoungCorruption

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
you should try the 1 click root from xda website. i was having problems like you but i was able to root my phone in like ten minutes man. its so easy and there is even a video as a walkthrough on page 6 of the thread

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908