What' up with Shift???

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What's going on with the EVO Shift 4G? It's not available online from Sprint, and hasn't been for a few weeks. Is Sprint or HTC holding back to ship upgraded devices running 2.3? I hope that's it. Why else would they hold back on one of their fastest selling devices, unless they just can't keep up with production demands? If they're waiting to release upgraded devices, that's a good sign for we Shift users. That means Gingerbread is coming soon to our cherished Shift. Any thoughts? Rumors? Facts?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think this was posted in the wrong section :D

A couple of days ago I went into the Sprint store and noticed they no longer had the Shift display model. It's showing out of stock on the Sprint website. I thought it was strange that the phone wasn't on display but I think it may be because they are selling it for $149.99 without having to send in a rebate.

Last edited:

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, a few weeks ago my sister and her husband were able to get a couple of Sprint Evo Shift's from a mall kiosk vendor. Got a really good deal since they got $250 back using Sprint's move a number to their network and get $125 per line in kickbacks.

Anyway, I believe the reason Sprint has not been stocking the shelves with both the Evo and Evo Shift is probably because of the the drama between Sprint and Clearwire about the 4G network. After all, how many Clearwire 4G handsets does Sprint want on their network when they may be planning to switch to the LTE technology. I have not read about any new 4G cities going live in a long time and we all are paying the $10 now whether or not we have access to the present 4G service. So, we get what we pay for from this mom and pop Sprint network because the other two carriers can monopolize U.S. wireless pricing plans and technology. After all, it was Sprint who has kept pushing the U.S. market as the two big U.S. carriers don't really have a completely usable 4G network in their house.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, I believe the reason Sprint has not been stocking the shelves with both the Evo and Evo Shift is probably because of the the drama between Sprint and Clearwire about the 4G network. After all, how many Clearwire 4G handsets does Sprint want on their network when they may be planning to switch to the LTE technology. I have not read about any new 4G cities going live in a long time and we all are paying the $10 now whether or not we have access to the present 4G service. So, we get what we pay for from this mom and pop Sprint network because the other two carriers can monopolize U.S. wireless pricing plans and technology. After all, it was Sprint who has kept pushing the U.S. market as the two big U.S. carriers don't really have a completely usable 4G network in their house.

Well it looks like Sprint and Clearwire have had some resolve, at least for the next couple of years. http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/04/25/sprint-and-clearwire-no-strings-wimax-lovers/

But even if that is the reason why the Shift isn't available or even on display, then why is both the Epic and the EVO both still displayed at the Sprint store. The fact that it's not available online hopefully shows to the Shifts popularity but why pull the display model?

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think this was posted in the wrong section :D

A couple of days ago I went into the Sprint store and noticed they no longer had the Shift display model. It's showing out of stock on the Sprint website. I thought it was strange that the phone wasn't on display but I think it may be because they are selling it for $149.99 without having to send in a rebate.
I know. That's what I paid for mine at my Sprint store, after not being able to get one online. It actually worked out better, since the tech was able to copy my contacts from my BB 9650 and set up the new Shift for me.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well it looks like Sprint and Clearwire have had some resolve, at least for the next couple of years. Sprint And Clearwire: No-Strings WiMax Lovers - Great Speculations - Buys, holds, and hopes - Forbes

But even if that is the reason why the Shift isn't available or even on display, then why is both the Epic and the EVO both still displayed at the Sprint store. The fact that it's not available online hopefully shows to the Shifts popularity but why pull the display model?

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
The Shift display models are still displayed at my local store (Chicago).