CM7 vs Mikshift

beeker64

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So I have been happily running mikshift v1.1 on my phone for a while. I just switched to Bcnices 1.5 kernel from x99's. It is way faster with better battery life and it fixed some tethering problems.

I was new to rooting when I got the phone but I had heard of Cyanogen from my buddies. My question is what advantages do I get from switching. Currently, everything works on mikshift and it is fast, very fast,

I know I will lose my sense calendar if I switch. What will I gain? Also some kernel and setting recommendations would be appreciated for CM7 as I found them useful in mikshift. The reason I ask now is that cm7 looks to be completely stable and almost bugfree.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it is just personal preference. I've used both and they are both excellent ROM's in their own right. Everything works on the latest CM7 stable builds so you won't lose any functionality. I would just make a nandroid of your current ROM, then flash Cm7 to see how you like it.

You will lose anything Sense but there a few things you'll gain. There's a lot of themes that are made for Cm7, built in wifi tether and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) are a few I can think of.

beeker64

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So what upsides does CM7 Gingerbread have over sense? I really have only ever used sense and I am wondering if it even worth the time. I haven't been able to find a good comparison, now that the roms are stable. The old comparisons are all muddled by "mms not working" or "the sprint hotspot hack" not working. A straight comparison between a good sense rom and a good gingerbread aosp is what I am asking about (also about ones devoted solely to the Shift). What are the strengths of each?

The reason I ask instead of just nanding and reloading is that I haven't seen a good comparison at all yet and it is very useful info for newer users like myself. BTW what does AOSP stand for? Also I would really appreciate before I spend a few hours of my time messing with my beautifully working phone. - I hope that didn't sound too snotty, I really appreciate any help and this forum. When I rooted Mikshift was the only really stable Rom with an experienced developer to choose from, now I am exploring my options.

Edit: Also I know if I just switch, I will notice the loss of sense and I may not notice the upsides of gingerbread.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of hard to build a comparison because the ROM's are totally different. I will tell that Cm7 is a really fast and smooth ROM. Just to give you an idea of what all you'll be getting with Cm7 here's a walk through video YouTube - CyanogenMod 7 (Final Version) Tour It's for the G2 but it's basically exactly the same. Someone might be able to give a decent comparison but I haven't ran Cm7 in a few weeks, so I'm sure I would forget to mention some the advantages/disadvantages of Cm7.

AOSP Stands for Android Open Source Project :)

hacdan

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I do not have any experience with MikShift outside of programming my Shift. That is a downside to CM7, though. You are not able to program the phone or change your data profiles while using it. Comparing the two roms really isn't fair as one uses stock AOSP and the other is based on Sense. They are two different beasts entirely. If you're happy with the UI of MikShift(Sense) I see no reason to swap. If you are looking for something different, CM7 is worth checking out. Both ROM's are crazy fast from what I can tell and both have a decent size developer base.

CM7 has a larger user/developer base, but I do not see that as a pro or con. FM Tuner does not currently work in the stable branch of CM7, but the fix has already been implemented into the latest nightly builds.

Functionality wise, I see both ROM's as just being a matter of personal preference. I'd try them both if I were you. Personally I'm happy with stock Android, but that's what I've always used. I don't 'hate' sense, it's just not for me.

Keep in mind, the majority if not all of the Sense widgets will NOT work on CM7 because the sense framework is not there. Best thing for you to do is to just try it out. Make a Clockwork backup or NANDroid of your MikShift install and then flash over. The worse you have to do is flash back.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Im running the mikshift with GB and sense 2.1. I always use go launcher ex so the sense stuff missing is not a big issue or the fm radio stuff either. Does the wifi hotspot hack work on cm7 because wifi tether is sketchy at best. What is the latest build on cyanogen with the wifi hotspot tether hack working and where can it be found?

Hotspot works on CM7 you can get here http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=speedy click on the stable tab for the table release.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol