Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problems Syncing and with FB for HTC Sense

I just got my Evo Shift yesterday and in the store they transferred my contacts over from my blackberry and then when I got home I logged into the Facebook app (the one on the applications list) and changed the settings to sync with only my existing contacts, but then it told me "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly" so it would not sync any of my FB info/pictures to my contacts and would not let me manually do it.
    So then I was in the "manage applications" area and saw the Facebook for HTC Sense app and started using that, I logged in and it immediately synced EVERY FB friend to my contact and wouldn't give me an option to only sync existing contacts like in the FB app. I've tried unsyncing the FB for HTC sense app, which I think it finally stopped, but now my contacts still are flooded with random FB friends (who I don't want in there) and I can't even get it to sync and show pictures for all of my existing contacts.
    What can I do? I want to delete the FB For HTC Sense app because that seemed to have started this fiasco, but I am scared it will delete all my contacts and I feel like I'll have a hard time importing them back from my Gmail account. I'm so frustrated at this point I want to take my phone back to Sprint so somebody please help!

Default Re: Problems Syncing and with FB for HTC Sense

You don't have to delete the HTC Sense for Facebook sync. Just open the 'People' app, tap the 'Menu' button, tap 'View', and you can turn off any contact sources you don't want to see in the People app. Doing this will still keep the sync between your contacts and their Facebook account (and if you have Twitter synced it too) since this just removes them from the People list if they are not listed in any of the remaining check-marked listings. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I use the HTC Sense for Facebook sync since it seems to get higher resolution pictures from Facebook profiles than the official Facebook app does.

I take it that the 'they', the store, imported your contacts into the 'Phone' contacts list instead of in the 'Google' contacts list. However, if you want to move them to Google, you can export them using the People app to a .CSV file and you can use this .CSV file to import into GMail contacts which is the same as Google contacts on the phone which will always stay in sync.

BTW, welcome to the Google 'experience'.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you, that finally fixed it. The only thing if earlier I had "un-synced" my contacts from the FB for HTC Sense, and now that I tried to re-sync them I am getting the same error message about "sync is currently unavailable"

I had to get a new HTC EVO for the 3 rd time. I was able to sync
    My contacts but not anything else. It has been saying sync is down.
    Been like that for over 3 weeks. I can't tag at all very frustrated. Needing help please