so video chat or no?

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Check their article and the source they got it from and the pic clearly shows it

Ah, yeah, the source article does say that, and I see a tiny dot on the top left of the phone, so I'm guessing that that is the front facing camera? If so, that's cool. The only thing left is, what kind of processor will it have?

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ah, yeah, the source article does say that, and I see a tiny dot on the top left of the phone, so I'm guessing that that is the front facing camera? If so, that's cool. The only thing left is, what kind of processor will it have?

Maybe the g2 or even better the nytouch 4g

Droid King

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My Cousin Works At Sprint And Has Told Me That The Only Thing Different Is The Screen Size And Keyboard. He's Going To Double Check On The FFC. So I'll Have A 100% Answer With-In The Next Two[Three] Days. And The Buttons On The Bottom Of The Screen Are Up So Far To Make Room For The Acessories[Phone Cases]. iDon't Think They Look All Atractive.

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I am sure Sprint would have liked to not have the extra space at the bottom of the phone too. The thing is if this is the same phone as the Merge or G2 those phones have a lot of space at the bottom too. It was probably much cheaper for Sprint to bring this phone over and rebrand it trying to make it look as close to the Evo as possible than to have HTC design a brand new phone from scratch that didn't have the extra space at the bottom.

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait for the EVO vs EVO Shift video comparison.
the EVO is bigger but slower, the EVO Shift is smaller, but faster.
the EVO has HDMI out, the EVO Shift has a slide out keyboard.
I think thats about it?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I want there to be a FFC as much as the next guy, but I find it baffling that we are all just accepting the data on cellphonesignal.com as gospel.

Amazon also "leaked" data that turned out to be little more than a reprint of the original EVO specs. The ad leaked from Radio Shack specified a 3.6" screen (as opposed to the cellphonesignal.com's listed 3.7"), and there have been dozens of "leaked" images and speculated specs that vary widely. How do we know any of them are for real, especially with them being inconsistent?

Personally, I'm hoping you guys are right about the FFC, and the fact there there is a hole right where one should/would be is promising... but does that hole look a little too small to anyone else?

Camera optics are usually a bit bigger than a pinhole, even for FFC (I'm looking at my N95 and E71 on my desk, and they both have obvious glass lenses that are recognizably a front camera).
That hole in the rendering on the Shift looks like the size of a hole used for a microphone or... wait for it... light sensor. A light sensor (the kind that automatically dims the screen based on ambient light, which most modern HTC phones have) doesn't need to be much bigger than a pinhole like that. Or, it could always be the proximity sensor.

I currently have an LG Optimus, and if you hold it at a particular angle, you can see a dark circle cut out behind the glass above the display. I also would have liked to believe there is a camera on front here, and when the phone was first coming out, a lot of people thought it might be. But it was not. It is just a proximity sensor. I don't mean to be a kill buzz or anything, but I've already been disappointed once so I'm wary to believe this yet.

Reactions: sweetmonster457

guitark8

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
not seeing any gospel flying, personally... just sharing the latest info as it trickles out. to me, the ffc is not a huge deal. i will, however, be disappointed if they keep the same dullish screen that the evo currently has. if it's got a crisp enough screen to rival super amoleds, i'm probably going to grab it. we'll see... tick tock...

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I want there to be a FFC as much as the next guy, but I find it baffling that we are all just accepting the data on cellphonesignal.com as gospel.

Amazon also "leaked" data that turned out to be little more than a reprint of the original EVO specs. The ad leaked from Radio Shack specified a 3.6" screen (as opposed to the cellphonesignal.com's listed 3.7"), and there have been dozens of "leaked" images and speculated specs that vary widely. How do we know any of them are for real, especially with them being inconsistent?

Personally, I'm hoping you guys are right about the FFC, and the fact there there is a hole right where one should/would be is promising... but does that hole look a little too small to anyone else?

Camera optics are usually a bit bigger than a pinhole, even for FFC (I'm looking at my N95 and E71 on my desk, and they both have obvious glass lenses that are recognizably a front camera).
That hole in the rendering on the Shift looks like the size of a hole used for a microphone or... wait for it... light sensor. A light sensor (the kind that automatically dims the screen based on ambient light, which most modern HTC phones have) doesn't need to be much bigger than a pinhole like that. Or, it could always be the proximity sensor.

I currently have an LG Optimus, and if you hold it at a particular angle, you can see a dark circle cut out behind the glass above the display. I also would have liked to believe there is a camera on front here, and when the phone was first coming out, a lot of people thought it might be. But it was not. It is just a proximity sensor. I don't mean to be a kill buzz or anything, but I've already been disappointed once so I'm wary to believe this yet.

Everything you said makes total sense. im hopeful, but i don't want to get any hopes up. people like to talk about how this is a G2 copy, and how the G2 has a notification LED in the ear piece, and the EVO has one in the ear piece too. but the HTC Merge, which this phone is probably the closest relative of has a notification LED pretty much exactly where that possibly FFC is on the Shift. :confused:
YouTube - Another look at the HTC Merge.
look and lower your expectations people.
P.S. im dying for the Evo Shift to have one though....

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Everything you said makes total sense. im hopeful, but i don't want to get any hopes up. people like to talk about how this is a G2 copy, and how the G2 has a notification LED in the ear piece, and the EVO has one in the ear piece too. but the HTC Merge, which this phone is probably the closest relative of has a notification LED pretty much exactly where that possibly FFC is on the Shift. :confused:
YouTube - Another look at the HTC Merge.
look and lower your expectations people.
P.S. im dying for the Evo Shift to have one though....

not seeing any gospel flying, personally... just sharing the latest info as it trickles out. to me, the ffc is not a huge deal. i will, however, be disappointed if they keep the same dullish screen that the evo currently has. if it's got a crisp enough screen to rival super amoleds, i'm probably going to grab it. we'll see... tick tock...

Well, personally, it IS a deal breaker because its the one thing my current Android phone (LG Optimus) can't do that the Premium Phones can.

Unlike the other budget phones, the Optimus can actually keep up performance wise and then some (gpu can actually pump out more fps in openGL than the original EVO). So, taking all that into consideration, I can't really justify paying $10 more a month for a device that does everything just as well as my current one can.
But, if I'm paying more for a new feature I wasn't able to use before (especially if skype video is really on the heels of the iPhone version launch), its a much easier pill to swallow.

But my reasons are really inconsequential- the FFC is the topic of this thread. Some of us are just curious, others are perhaps current EVO owners who don't like the idea of losing a feature... but whatever the case, we're all here because for one reason or another the existence of a FFC makes a difference.

Now, although I was very skeptical in my last post, I just played with my friend's EVO here at work and notice how small the FFC really is. Its nothing like the lens on my Nokia phones, and in fact may be able to fit in a pinhole size as seen in the leaked images. As long as I'm playing devil's advocate, the EVO's FFC is about level with the grill, about the same position relative to where the rendering shows the pinhole (however on the left instead of the right side).
So, it is still very possible.
I don't know what to think, honestly. I'd like to say that Sprint wouldn't dare exclude a feature that the other premium phones have and still call it an EVO. But, I could really argue this either way.

Meanwhile, guitark8, while off topic, the AMOLED tech is better for color saturation and brightness, its actually WORSE for resolution due to the way the pixels are aligned (also known as a Pentile grid). You end up with less real world resolution which makes a difference if you want to read text zoomed all the way out. Google it.
The 4.3" display on the original EVO is actually sharper and easier to read fine details than the Epic. They did right to choose LCD.

Reactions: sweetmonster457

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No front facing camera is a deal breaker for me too. I'm surprised there aren't any YouTube videos of someone playing with this like there are for the HTC Merge.

And the Walmart page has nothing about a FFC, or atleast i can't find it.

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To stay on topic here... Technically the phone can do video chat...

downside... you cant see the person ur video chatting with :p

Yahoo Messenger is the ishhh Just sayin'

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
To stay on topic here... Technically the phone can do video chat...

downside... you cant see the person ur video chatting with :p

Yahoo Messenger is the ishhh Just sayin'

Yes, yes, I did that with my Optimus as well. I joked about carrying around a pocket mirror to clamp onto the back of the phone so I could use it for video chat... But it goes back to the original dilemma of: Is this worth upgrading to.

For current EVO owners, the new CPU and keyboard, not to mention pocketability size, might be attractive. But losing a feature that you know you used to have feels weak.

For current lower-end Android users with decent performance (such as the Optimus), this really offers next to nothing that I can't already do. My optimus is more pocketable than this, can also reach into the same ballpark in performance, has more convenient keys (real buttons that press, not to mention a dedicated camera and voice action key), an accessible microSD slot that does not require battery removal... and NO PREMIUM DATA CRAP.

fine, I want a keyboard. But not badly enough to raise my monthly bill. No FFC means no new functionality. Color me unimpressed, especially for a device with details that were kept so well a secret for so long! I can't believe we're only learning the specs NOW.

And before anyone goes off on "well, I don't use video chat anyway, so...", do us a favor and CAN IT. The topic of this thread is about video chat. Its a premium feature and I WANT IT IF I'M PAYING FOR PREMIUM DATA.

/end rant

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non