What is your data speed on 3g?

star444

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I am sad because I am having data issues on 3g (there's no 4g yet for my area). At speedtest.net my download speed is around 0.14 and my upload speed is around 0.06. My signal strength is usually around -120 dBm!!!

I tried updating my PRL and profile but that did not help. I called Sprint and they told me to take it in to a Sprint store for them to look at. I dropped it off at 6 p.m. and they told me to come back around 6:45 p.m. and they should be done. When I returned the guy gave me my phone back and said "It checks out okay. It is getting 4 or 5 bars." I went out to my car and tried loading the speedtest.net page and, again, it was extremely slow. I went back in and asked the guy if he tried surfing out to the internet and he said no.

I showed him the screen for him to see that it was taking forever just to load the page. He asked if I had loaded any programs from the Market. (I knew where he was headed... Perhaps one of the programs I loaded was causing a problem.) I told him that he could do a factory reset if he thought that would help. He did but it did not help the data speeds. I ran the speedtest.net test to check the speeds and asked him to note it on the account. He had already turned off his computer (closing time is 7) but he told me one of the sales people could make a note on my account.

Since I'm reading some others are having problems, I'm hoping there will be an OTA real soon to fix it. I really like this phone and want to keep it.

I know not everyone is having problems so I wonder if it is a different build or why the differences.

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am sad because I am having data issues on 3g (there's no 4g yet for my area). At speedtest.net my download speed is around 0...............I know not everyone is having problems so I wonder if it is a different build or why the differences.

Heres my results so far:
at home on 3g:
150kbps down, 50 up

At home on 4g:
1.5mbps down, 300kb up

At work on 3g:
1mb down, 430kb up

Gettign signal at my house is terrible, but yet 4g is wonderful

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just did this at work with 4G and these are the numbers it gave me

7.62 Download
0.87 Upload

Not sure what its supposed to be but the phones pretty quick

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just did this at work with 4G and these are the numbers it gave me

7.62 Download
0.87 Upload

Not sure what its supposed to be but the phones pretty quick

wow.

I am amazed at the difference between 3g and 4g. 1mb vs 5mb for me. For you it looks like an even bigger gap

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just turned off 4g and this is what I got, now thats a huge difference here, I am going to try at home as well

0.54 Download
0.23 Upload

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just walked outside at work since I work in a bomb resistant building and 4G is flying!

10.27 Download
.98 Upload

Sorry for the multiple posts I'm new to Android and having quick web access so I get excited LOL

JayJay2917

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw this thread and was curious to see what mine was, so I went to speedtest.net and could barely load the webpage. I even tried it on my wifi at home, and it was being just miserable. I used to use Dolphin HD browser on my Hero, so I went and dled it real quick and installed. Using my wifi I jumped to Speedtest and ran it getting 11mb down 1.5 up and 192 ms ping. Gotta grab my son from the bus stop so I will let you know what my 3g is when I get back.

Zardos

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I get around 1 mb/s to 1.2 mb/s down on 3g everytime i test. Upload is around .60 mb/s

I dont have 4g

before doing the ##DATA# reset i was getting 130 kb/s, that sucked bad.

proactix

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
just got home with my new evo shift, it is awsome...hehe, and here are my speeds with 3g and 4g:

with 3g:

download: 1010kbps
upload: 662kps

with 4g:

download 5802kbps
upload: 1027kbps

I am loving the speed

JayJay2917

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
3g sucks in my house I need to get a sprint booster thing. But I am getting 350kbs down 190 up and 155 ping. This is not a good judge of character, maybe tomorrow at work I will try it out and see how it goes away from the boons where I live.

Compusmurf

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I was getting horrible 3G speed and I reset the provisioning on my phone and went from 200k to 1.2mbps.

You'll need your MSL to do it, it's almost like re-activating your phone.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I only get 3G in my area (Duluth, MN). I just ran the test on my new Shift and I got 1119kbps download and 623kbps upload. Then I turned on the Wi-Fi and tested it with that. The results were 1853kbps download and 338kbps upload.

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just for giggles, those of you getting low 3G speeds, turn off your GPS

i was getting between 300kbps and 600kbps, turned off the GPS i was getting between 600kbps and 1mbps. it's a big jump for me (3G isn't that great where i work, but i noticed a difference)

star444

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I was getting horrible 3G speed and I reset the provisioning on my phone and went from 200k to 1.2mbps.

You'll need your MSL to do it, it's almost like re-activating your phone.

I called Sprint again tonight and they walked me through resetting the data but I don't think it helped much. I have an Airave here at home so it is hard to tell. I'll know more when I go to work tomorrow. They want me to take the phone back to the Sprint store to have them look at it (again). He said he would make a note on the ticket that they should run a full diagnostics test.

Just for giggles, those of you getting low 3G speeds, turn off your GPS

i was getting between 300kbps and 600kbps, turned off the GPS i was getting between 600kbps and 1mbps. it's a big jump for me (3G isn't that great where i work, but i noticed a difference)

I turned off my GPS as soon as I got it so that won't help me.

Thanks to all who have replied and made suggestions. I'm hoping to get a feel for whether this is common and will perhaps be resolved by an OTA soon, or if I just got a dud. I really like this phone so I hope it will be resolved.

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
3G I'm getting:

1124 kbps down
676 kbps up

No data reset or anything. GPS off does make a difference. 40% faster with GPS off.

Jo_795

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
My data speed has been alright from the start but I was having provisioning erros so hopefully this might help you guys. like 2 posts above that said its like resetting your phone.

I was getting text messages on both my old phone and new .

##RTN# on your old phone and enter your MSL. to get your MSL on connect bot if your phone is rooted type in SU, then ( getprop ) after you enter msl and press reset the phone should start resetting it. Once when you get to the part will the phone will actually boot the animation pull the battery and on your new phone update both PRL and Data. this fixed my text message issue and GPS locks in indoors withiin 5 secs :D hopefully this helps

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems very dependent on where I am. At home last night I was getting around 600-700kbps down sometimes up to 1100kbps, at work in the cafeteria above ground I was only getting 300kbps down and in the basement of my hospital I was getting 1200kbps down. It seems to vary a lot.

4G varies a lot too between 2Mbps and 7Mbps depending on where I am.

Upload speed I cannot remember off the bat but seemed to fall in line with download speeds. 4G upload speeds usually maxes around 1Mbps no matter where I am and 3G upload speeds vary from 300-600kbps usually I think.

The internet always seems fast though so I haven't really worried about speeds too much and only tested because of this thread.