Wireless Tether your shift "Needs Root"

onlyhuman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Help with z4root

Hi all,

I am newbe to the android world. Just got my shift a couple of days ago and so far am very pleased. I have had the easytether going from the start. But I would like to get the wireless tether working. I have tried several times to run z4root. one of those attempts seemed to come close as the phone was telling me it was attempting to tether. But to no avail. Could somebody with a little patience maybe walk me down this road a bit. As in a step by step for dumba**'s like my self?

I would really appreciate It!

onlyhuman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok,

So I have [several times] downloaded Superuser, then tried to run z4. probably ten times by now. all failed. I did notice something on the screen shots on the thread you directed me to...superuser never loaded up with anything. No apps inside superuser. When I would run z4..it would just hang or ask for a "force close" screen.

what am I doing wrong? I realy need a step by step...

onlyhuman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
ok #2,

Well I figured out what I needed to do and I now have it temp rooted and the wi fi tether is working...sort of. Something is really restricting its throughput. My wireless connection on my puter tells me that I am connected, excellent signal strength, and 54mbps. but on the phone side it is showing only about .6kbs down and about 1.3kbs up. any clues as to what might be causing this?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
ok #2,

Well I figured out what I needed to do and I now have it temp rooted and the wi fi tether is working...sort of. Something is really restricting its throughput. My wireless connection on my puter tells me that I am connected, excellent signal strength, and 54mbps. but on the phone side it is showing only about .6kbs down and about 1.3kbs up. any clues as to what might be causing this?

That's great news I am glad you got it workin. I don't know about this phones Wimax something its not like with my OG EVO. The Wimax on the shift is buggy at times I have perfect signal at my house but on this device I will jump from 4 bars to 1 bar and my data will freeze sometimes. Not saying that is causing your problem but it might be. Are you using 4G or 3G to tether if you are using 4G then I would switch to 3G and see if it is more stable. Post back let me know what you find out I will play with this a little today to see how its working for me.

Cool,
Dave

onlyhuman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My wymax is working just fine. What I figured out is that in the settings dialog of the wifitether app, you need to check/enable "Access-Control". Once I did that it started working super. I am getting anywhere from 2 to 10 mbs down and about that up depending on what I am working with. I also realized that superuser was not installing itself correctly and it kept disappearing on me. It took probably ten or so reboots and re-downloading of superuser to get it to install correctly. I am a complete noob to the android thing. Never hacked anything before. That is why I knew I was missing some information on the install of these apps. I got lucky in my persistence. Maybe what I have found will help some other non techy person to do it it too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan