Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo Shift 4G Contact Management Issue

I've had the Evo Shift 4G for about a week now and I'm having a weird issue.

Two of my contacts have the same phone number but with different area codes (503 vs. 541).

When I go into the messaging system, it lumps them both under one of the contacts (the one with the 503 area code) and I can't distinguish which message is from who unless I look at the message details for the particular message.

It also has started to display the incorrect name when receiving a phone call.

I just received a replacement phone from Sprint but I still have the same problem.

I have also tried multiple other messaging programs from the Market such as HandcentSMS and GoSMS with no success.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Thanks!
    Misha

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

It appears the Evo Shift has "linked" those contacts. They need to be "unlinked" then you'll be fine. I don't have a Shift but the procedure should go something like this...Go to people, choose the contact, and then in the top right you will see a link symbol. Hit that and you can unlink them.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Default updates

Quote Originally Posted by tsims10s View Post
    It appears the Evo Shift has "linked" those contacts. They need to be "unlinked" then you'll be fine. I don't have a Shift but the procedure should go something like this...Go to people, choose the contact, and then in the top right you will see a link symbol. Hit that and you can unlink them.

You have to occasionally double check for this. Most of my contacts come from Facebook and Google, and the system will occasionally lump a couple of my contacts together. Since I started using an app called Phonebook 2.0, and unlinked the contacts, this has stopped.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by tsims10s View Post
    Hi, I have tried this, and when I check, the contacts are actually not linked. They have a link "suggestion" but aren't actually linked to one another. I'm not sure if this suggested "link" is what would cause it but how would I get ride of that if thats whats doing it?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
    You have to occasionally double check for this. Most of my contacts come from Facebook and Google, and the system will occasionally lump a couple of my contacts together. Since I started using an app called Phonebook 2.0, and unlinked the contacts, this has stopped.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried installing Phonebook 2.0 and managing my contacts through that. I have also made sure that they are all "un-linked" but the problem still persists. The contacts are still all under one messaging thread.

Just to test something out, I added a third "test" contact with the same phone number but now with a "501" area code and it ended up categorizing all of the previous conversations under this new "test" contact.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Thank you for all of the ideas so far!

Try placing one of the contacts area code in (503)-xxx-xxxx and the other just 541-xxx-xxxx.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Try placing one of the contacts area code in (503)-xxx-xxxx and the other just 541-xxx-xxxx.
    I actually had this idea last night and tried it with (503)-xxx-xxx, 503.xxx.xxx. I've also tried putting a "1" in front of one/both of the numbers. None of these things have seemed to fix the issue at hand.

Maybe this is a serious bug issue that is incredibly uncommon because most people don't have two people with the same 7-digit phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by mishtevan View Post
    I actually had this idea last night and tried it with (503)-xxx-xxx, 503.xxx.xxx. I've also tried putting a "1" in front of one/both of the numbers. None of these things have seemed to fix the issue at hand.

Maybe this is a serious bug issue that is incredibly uncommon because most people don't have two people with the same 7-digit phone number?
    I was going to suggest a "1". Since that didn't work, try a "+1" and see if that helps.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I was going to suggest a "1". Since that didn't work, try a "+1" and see if that helps.
    The "+1" method has also been tried to no avail. Its kind of sad to see a "smartphone" not be able to do something that is SO simple.

I just tried making a new contact with the same 7-digit number as one of my friends. I think you can keep them separate (I was able to) by having one saved to Google Contacts and one saved to Phone Contacts. My phone still suggested linking them, but they were definitely stored as distinct contacts. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Evo Shift 4G Contact Management Issue

The particular 503 code services a rather small place although loaded with people. In cases where you were showing interest to find out what places have been served with this particular code, it is simple to look for an code index chart. So there you will see that the specific area code 503 is usually for shore areas primarily. And also for the locations far from the beaches it's put in place area code 971.

Several of the main cities and towns in Oregon happen to be serviced through this sort of area code. As an example, these areas happen to be: Salem, Portland, Tillamook, and Astoria. Prior to April, '08, this kind of code was serving the counties of Clatsop as well as Tillamook. Where does the area code 502 come from arizona?
    In those days the telephone coverage from code 503 has been overlaid by area rule 971.

If you get unknown telephone calls that originate from this particular code, i.e. code 503 it is likely they're out of much bigger towns and cities, even though you can certainly at least make certain that they are from the north west of the state. Understanding the code, it can be a lot more possibly that you will figure out the caller's identity. You will attempt to bear in mind just about any members of the family and in addition associates just who live in this specific area definitely.