1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Default Permanint ROOT is at hand

Thats rite people should be up soon its going to be a long weekend getting those Shifts rooted

Thanks to bcnice20 for all the hard work

More proof

I'm so excited
    Dave

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 2.2

So, with rooting almost out to everyone, how soon do you think we will be seeing roms?
    I'm getting a little bored with Shifty...

Thanks for the news!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

I bet we have stripped rooted stock ROMs before Monday AOSP early next week. But only time can tell, there are already overlays being made ROMs are the next step so it wont take them long. I am hoping for at least a Stock Rooted ROM this weekend.

bored w/ the Shift...sheesh, no patience for *free* development work...considering as of this morning 1.28, it's been 19 days since the Shift's *official* release... (yes, I know many picked it up on Jan. 6th, myself included)

for an indication of how much progress is going on --and honestly the perm-root was the largest hurdle...u should check out

AOSP is definitely on the way..."MiUi and CM7 ... Lithid(one of the main devs working on the Evo CM7 port) and Bnice(the main dev who worked on the Evo port of MIUI) are both supporting development on the Shift"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Quote Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
    bored w/ the Shift...sheesh, no patience for *free* development work...considering as of this morning 1.28, it's been 19 days since the Shift's *official* release... (yes, I know many picked it up on Jan. 6th, myself included)

for an indication of how much progress is going on --and honestly the perm-root was the largest hurdle...u should check out

AOSP is definitely on the way..."MiUi and CM7 ... Lithid(one of the main devs working on the Evo CM7 port) and Bnice(the main dev who worked on the Evo port of MIUI) are both supporting development on the Shift"
    That's all good news there. I think the biggest thing is, we don't real get inpatient or at least for me it is I get worried that permanence root might not be possible especially when you see some devices rooted even before they are released. As the days go by with no word people start to think maybe root is not possable. I am just glad its final I will be spending some time with the process tonight I'll be glad to have permanent root once and for all. My thanks and of corset a small donation will be going to those who made all this happen.

Thanks again to all the developers for all the hard work,
    Dave

Rooting was super easy and worked perfect. I'm stoked

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Default cool

Now that I got everything the way that I like it, you tell me this.

Except for the reloading of my phone this is great news!
    Proud Multiple Android Owner
    HTC Shift and Sony S
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Done and Done...! I am rooted people that was easy.

Sweet,
    Dave

Anyone that is struggling with the SDK and adb check out my basics post

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Total NEWB here but what are the benefits to rooting my Shift and where can I find detailed instructions so that I do not brick my beauty?

Just moved from the palm preware and the uber easy preware tool....
    Last edited by Swipple; 01-29-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fyi
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Quote Originally Posted by Swipple View Post
    Total NEWB here but what are the benefits to rooting my Shift and where can I find detailed instructions so that I do not brick my beauty?
    The benefits are things as simple as being able to get rid of some of the Sprint bloatware up to installing custom ROMs. As for instructions its still a little early in the process if you are adventuresome head on over the links in this thread and give it a shot. Other wise I have rooted and un-rooted twice today and am now installing the recovery image just posted give it some time I will try to come up with a simple step by step later. The developer types don't know how to speak English...lol so it can get a bit confusing I am trying to figure this all out. I am getting there. The guys working on this are prows give it some time they will get all the bugs worked out.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Thank you sir, I will sit quietly and appreciate all of the work that you all do!!

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

followed all the steps, perm root! easy, no issues. Ready for some new ROMs.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

root was super easy, almost as easy as the pre. Took alot less time then rooting my moment and epic. Now just waiting on more development on the screen sharing application. Cant wait for mymobiler like functionality.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

ROM
    Stock 2.2/CM6.1.0-Heroc

the best thing you can do is read read read....read as much as you can about rooting, unrooting, nandroid, recoveries, custom roms, adb shell etc....read the threads then read the pages upon pages of replies...it is worth it....also check out xda forums and find the shift forum.....i spent hours reading before I rooted my hero (months ago) and really got a good grasp of what I was doing and what it all meant...then when I got the shift I already knew a lot of the terminology and such but again spent plenty of time reading and making sure I understood what I was doing...as long as you follow directions exactly, all will be well....the developers are amazing and better than the people they got at sprint/htc (imho)...you are in good hands with them but you have to put time into it as well....

Default Re: Permanint ROOT is at hand

I am new with this Android thing. What is rooting and is it important for the average phone user? I read the steps to accomplish it and I would be comfortable doing it but what is the benefit?

Default Re: Permanint ROOT is at hand

Man u dug this one up lol. Can u root without a computer?????