1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Default Data & Phone at the same time?

I swear on my Palm Pre I could take a call put it on speaker phone and browse the web or check email......The shift tells me I cannot access the web when on a call. Is this the case for everyone else??????

Isn't that a Sprint function and not a Phone Specific thing?

Wire Guy

The palm pre phone does not have that capability of talking while browsing the web simultaneously.

I believe it's a limitation for some, or all CDMA phones while using 3g connection.

I surf the web while chatting on my EVO, however, this can only be done using 4g or wifi connection.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

It's CDMA (sprint, verizon)vs GSM (ATT, TMobile) CDMA doesn't have the ability while GSM does. If you are on WIFI then of course it doesn't matter....I haven't heard of 4G fixing this issue, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr View Post
    It's CDMA (sprint, verizon)vs GSM (ATT, TMobile) CDMA doesn't have the ability while GSM does. If you are on WIFI then of course it doesn't matter....I haven't heard of 4G fixing this issue, but I could be wrong.
    Well, I can prove you wrong. I'm typing this message while on my EVO 4g having a conversation with a friend of mine. I have also posted up this info before.

I don't know how other CDMA phones work, but the EVO work flawlessly either with wifi, or on 4g connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr View Post
    Oh, I definitely tested this.

GSM w/ GPRS, EDGE: voice blocks data
    + HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA or wi-fi: simultaneous voice and data

CDMA w/ 1xRTT: data blocks inbound voice / outbound voice blocks data
    + EvDO: inbound voice interrupts data / outbound voice blocks data
    + WiMAX-4G or wi-fi: simultaneous voice and data

If you don't normally keep 4G on, you can fire it up during a call and get online in under a minute. Of course, this assumes you have 4G signal where you are...
    Last edited by Jeffro; 02-04-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarified pre-3G description
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

One of the biggest gripes I have is this. Did not realize this when I switched from AT&T to Sprint.

Oh well, locked into another two years with Sprint.
    Proud Multiple Android Owner
    HTC Shift and Sony S

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Verizon thunderbolt can do both on 3g and 4g, thats what i have been using.

Quote Originally Posted by pvgomer View Post
    Verizon thunderbolt can do both on 3g and 4g, thats what i have been using.
    On Verizon, you should only be able to use data on a call when you have a 4G connection. If it worked on Verizon's 3G (EV-DO), AT&T wouldn't still be able to run all those ads...