HTC widgets and personal information

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the HTC battery widget from widgets...get more widgets, and I like it but I looked under "manage applications" and noticed that it seems to have access to everything on the device (all personal info, contacts, email, sms, etc.). Is that just really sloppy coding by HTC? The tip calculator was the same way. Just a little odd, if not kind of scary.

Edit...I ended up uninstalling them for now. I can't imagine why a battery widget needs all that information.

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Seems kind of fishy to me. What do other reviewers say or does the dev address why he has it set up like that?

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I you click on the show battery usage button, all running devices are displayed according to their battery demands. This would not work without access to all programs.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Geezerb, I don't recall that being an option from the HTC battery widget. It is available from the "About phone -> battery" section in settings...is it also part of the widget? And even so, why does the Tip Calculator widget need access to my email?

I still think it's fishy but I want to believe since they came from HTC they are legit, and maybe it's a coding error. Still...shouldn't be set up that way, IMHO.

Edit to hmmm, you don't get these from market, you download direct on the Shift under widgets. So there are no reviews or comments. Supposedly they come straight from HTC.

brandokc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the HTC widgets for over a year and haven't had any issues.
Gotta figure if HTC was doing something shady they could just get the info they want right through Sense.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams