1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Text Entry Shortcuts

I'm a former Palm Pre owner trying to get up to speed with my new EVO Shift. On my Pre, there were built-in text shortcuts. For example, whenever I typed "u" it expanded to "you" and "r" expanded to "are." Does Android and the Evo Shift have similar shortcut capabilities? I see there is an app called Smart Keyboard that may accomplish this but I'm wondering if this capability is built-in to the OS like it was on my Pre.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Was that built in? I seem to remember having to hand-edit my auto text replacement file to make those shortcuts. I actually deleted all the stock autocorrect stuff (I can already spell) and replaced it with hundreds of custom shortcuts for my commonly used phrases, names, places etc., so you bet I miss it too.

Some people have created apps in the market that add this capability to on-screen keyboards (e.g., FireKeys Auto Text) but not sure whether it is possible to add it to the physical keyboard. If you turn on text prediction for the physical keyboard, you can get a sense of what kind of auto-correct capabilities are included.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

If you tap the space bar twice it will add a "."
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Was that built in? I seem to remember having to hand-edit my auto text replacement file to make those shortcuts. I actually deleted all the stock autocorrect stuff (I can already spell) and replaced it with hundreds of custom shortcuts for my commonly used phrases, names, places etc., so you bet I miss it too.
    I'm certain these shortcuts were built in to the Pre because I never added or modified them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    Some people have created apps in the market that add this capability to on-screen keyboards (e.g., FireKeys Auto Text) but not sure whether it is possible to add it to the physical keyboard. If you turn on text prediction for the physical keyboard, you can get a sense of what kind of auto-correct capabilities are included.
    I'm trying out the Smart Keyboard app which let's you create auto text shortcuts for the on screen keyboard but apparently not for the hard keyboard. Has anyone found any way (third-party app or otherwise) to create auto text shortcuts that can be used with the hard keyboard?

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Hello,

I use Smart Keyboard Free as well. Under general settings there is the option to enable your settings to the physical keyboard.

I used to have the Bold 9650 and I know exactly what you are missing. I too was in withdraw from my shortcuts/custom shorthand. This app fixed all that for me. Plus it is free. The free and the paid versions are the same, expect a pop-up appears periodically to ask you if you would like to to purchase the app.

I tired FireKeys Auto Text and prefer Smart Keyboard. I like the options and customizations a lot more.
    Turns out, I am an Android Type of Girl!....
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy145 View Post
    Hello,

I use Smart Keyboard Free as well. Under general settings there is the option to enable your settings to the physical keyboard.
    That's exactly what I was looking for. This is going to make the transition from the Pre much easier for me. Thanks!

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I know it has for me. Good luck!

Smart Keyboard Trial Settings- Text Prediction- Custom AutoText-Add all you want!
    Turns out, I am an Android Type of Girl!....

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Surely there's a way for rooted users to hand-edit the file? No?

Is there a way to move the cursor, using the keyboard, to the left or right without having to use backspace? E.g., if you make a typo, can you move to that point other than having to point to it by trial and error? Something like the cursor keys on a standard computer keyboard?

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Quote Originally Posted by wfjordan View Post
    Is there a way to move the cursor, using the keyboard, to the left or right without having to use backspace? E.g., if you make a typo, can you move to that point other than having to point to it by trial and error? Something like the cursor keys on a standard computer keyboard?
    I just use the D-Pad on the phisical keyboard for that