Defective Shift - What's the best way to back up & restore data on replacement phone?

B-San

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Shift for almost a month and love it - unfortunately the only problem I've discovered with it seems to only have one solution: exchanging for a new Shift... Here is the original thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-shift-4g/53869-qwerty-keyboard-problem.html

I went back to the Sprint store yesterday & they offered to replace it without hesitation, but before I go ahead with the exchange - I'm would like to back up all my data.. SMS, Contacts, Apps, ect..

So far I've gotten these apps from the marketplace: Backup Everything, SMS Backup & Restore, and SMS Backup +.. I've also backed up my contacts to my 16 gig Micro SD card & google & copied all data to a computer...

I'll simply insert the Micro SD card in the replacement phone...

Any feedback on these apps or recommendations of others that may best serve me in my quest to backup & restore all my stuff?

Oh yeah - lastly I must add that due to being a complete Android noob, I would rather not root my phone at the moment... :'(

Thanks in advance!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The tech at your Sprint store should be able to transfer all your info to the new phone. But I would back up your apps separately to your SD card, just in case.

stillryan

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The tech at your Sprint store should be able to transfer all your info to the new phone. But I would back up your apps separately to your SD card, just in case.

Unfortunately the techs can only transfer your contacts from the old phone to the new one. I know because I was a tech at sprint for a little over 5 years. If you use app brain you can back up a list of apps and redownload them easily from the market, and its free. I've used sms backup and it worked fine too.

Sent from my Shift using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

Deranged Cat

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i just recently moved all of my contacts to gmail so they could sync with Android phones. as for SMS, i use google voice which also gets restored when i get a new phone. for SMS to my real number, i use SMS backup (gets sent to my gmail). Otherwise, everything else is on my SD Card.

The only thing that annoys me about getting a replacement phone is that i have to set up all my icons and such.