Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default wireless truth

i am looking to buy an EVO Shift this week and i have been researching on several different websites about it. I came across differences with the wireless card. Best Buy and Sprint state it only has a wireless b/g while HTC's website states that it has a wireless b/g/n.

Does anyone know what it actually has?

Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    7,157 Global Posts
    Carrier
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

To start off I have no idea what the difference is but I am going with HTC the other websites probably just typed it wrong. Just curious what is the difference?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

N transfers faster and reaches farther than b/g
    Dave Blake likes this.

Global Posts
    7,157 Global Posts
    Carrier
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Thanks for the information I have learned something today. I think if you really need to know best bet is to ask HTC directly. They are good about answering emails.

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts

My Shift 4g connects to my N 2.4Ghz AP at 65mbps (standing underneath it). Cannot see my 5Ghz AP at all. So I would normally conclude it can do 2.4Ghz "N", but I can't explain the low speed when my laptop can connect at 100mbps+ (in the 2.4Ghz band).

it has N, its in hardware info

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherhaus View Post
    My Shift 4g connects to my N 2.4Ghz AP at 65mbps (standing underneath it). Cannot see my 5Ghz AP at all. So I would normally conclude it can do 2.4Ghz "N", but I can't explain the low speed when my laptop can connect at 100mbps+ (in the 2.4Ghz band).
    Exact same for me. It does not say N but since it's hooking up at 65Mbps I can only assume it's N and not G, My 5 and 2.4Ghz have different SSID's. I'm curious about the limit in speed too.

Just a little more on N, N can have two bands. 2.4Ghz and 5. The limit on the 2.4's speed is what 133 max and the 5 is potentially 300mbps? the thing is the 2.4Ghz reaches further than the 5Ghz., not all routers are dual band and do both 2.4 and 5. most are just 2.4ghz.

They may intentionally keep the speed lower to conserve battery, it being a phone after all.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

That could be the case, still it's supposed to be used to tether up to 8 devices. You'd think they would maybe give you an option to throttle if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
    That could be the case, still it's supposed to be used to tether up to 8 devices. You'd think they would maybe give you an option to throttle if you wanted.
    Well, I think tethering is designed to uplink on 3G/4G, not on wi-fi. If you have wi-fi, you wouldn't need to use tethering...