Learning the Shift and Android

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So I switched over from a Sprint Pre to the Shift a few weeks ago, but have only really settled in with the new Shift for the last 1-2 weeks (it took a while to resolve some issues I'd had).

Now that the Shift is working the way its supposed to, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

I greatly miss Web OS, just about every day, but I'm really liking the Shift quite a bit. The hardware is great along with the phone being zippy/quick and all of the apps for just about anything imaginable.

A few things I've been wondering about, though.

1. Is there a new OS, an upgrade, we're supposed to be getting sometime soon? If so, what is it expected to improve? I'm a bit uninformed, still, about the different Android OS's, their differences and what that means to me and my Shift.

2. With my Palm Pre, I was a regular forums lurker over in Pre-Central and every day, there were a lot of posts with helpful information. One of the differences I'm finding, here, is there appears to be much less posting. Then I realized that the amount of posts are perhaps comparable, but that there are so many Android devices that the posts are spread out quite a bit into different sections for different devices. So, in looking around for helpful information, should I be looking at the posts in the Evo section? Do the things posted in there apply to those of us here with the Shift?

3. Which leads me to wonder about the Evo versus the Evo Shift. I'm aware of the basic differences (i.e., size, processor, camera, keyboard) but I'm wondering whether for all intents and purposes, if they're basically the same aside from those hardware differences. I have no interest in switching. I'm merely wondering.

I appreciate the thoughts and information. Thank you.

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
I think the combination of Android 2.2 Froyo + HTC Sense UI will be largely similar across HTC devices. There always are little differences, but you probably will find those much more similar to one another than to other manufacturers' keyboarded devices such as the Motorola Droid 2/Global or Samsung Epic.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
re: your questions

So I switched over from a Sprint Pre to the Shift a few weeks ago, but have only really settled in with the new Shift for the last 1-2 weeks (it took a while to resolve some issues I'd had).

Now that the Shift is working the way its supposed to, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

I greatly miss Web OS, just about every day, but I'm really liking the Shift quite a bit. The hardware is great along with the phone being zippy/quick and all of the apps for just about anything imaginable.

A few things I've been wondering about, though.

1. Is there a new OS, an upgrade, we're supposed to be getting sometime soon? If so, what is it expected to improve? I'm a bit uninformed, still, about the different Android OS's, their differences and what that means to me and my Shift.

2. With my Palm Pre, I was a regular forums lurker over in Pre-Central and every day, there were a lot of posts with helpful information. One of the differences I'm finding, here, is there appears to be much less posting. Then I realized that the amount of posts are perhaps comparable, but that there are so many Android devices that the posts are spread out quite a bit into different sections for different devices. So, in looking around for helpful information, should I be looking at the posts in the Evo section? Do the things posted in there apply to those of us here with the Shift?

3. Which leads me to wonder about the Evo versus the Evo Shift. I'm aware of the basic differences (i.e., size, processor, camera, keyboard) but I'm wondering whether for all intents and purposes, if they're basically the same aside from those hardware differences. I have no interest in switching. I'm merely wondering.

I appreciate the thoughts and information. Thank you.

1. Give an update some time. HTC needs to make sure android updates need to work with htc sense. I believe android 2.3 is slated to be available for htc evo shift, but give it more time. You can always root your phone but rooting voids your warranty. I don't know about you, but I don't have $400 sitting around to replace my device if I ruin it by a bad rooting process. Check the main forum page out and you should see a specific update forum.

2. As the previous poster said, most htc sense 2.2 devices should be essentially similar. However, the separate forums are mainly due to the large amount of devices running android os. You will find that going to the specific forum for your device will be most helpful. This forum will talk about issues specific to the htc evo shift.

3. They have the same os and htc sense. So the evo and the evo shift would be essentially the same if hardware differences are ignored. Basically, the evo versus the evo shift is all about does one want a larger screen with no physical keyboard or does one want a smaller screen with a physical keyboard.

I think you will lik the android os. I have been running android since the htc droid eris. I have found that htc phones tend to be high quality. HTC doesn't make perfect phones but HTC tends to do well.