recurring notification sounds and vibrate

spm488

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am a newbie to this forum and not very tech savy, but I have been searching this forum for the last week to get answers to my questions before I had to bother anyone...no such luck, so here goes:

The recurring notification sound, is there a way to set this phone so it only sounds once? I come home and lay my phone on the kitchen counter. I may come back to it a few hours later and my wife will say "your phone has been going crazy!". Most of the time it is a single message that just keeps sounding (every minute or so I guess) until I acknowledge. I like it to be audible, but just once (my old Treo was capable of this, so I figured this phone must, right?)

Also, I am either an all audible, or all vibration person. I have unchecked every single vibration box I have found on this phone, yet it still vibrates in addition to sound when it rings. I only use vibrate when I am in a meeting, so I just turn the volume all the way down when I don't want sound. What am I missing? How do I get the vibrating to stop!? Thank you for your time.

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of an option to turn on or off a reoccurring notification sound. As far as I am aware it only beeps once for any notification; I'm not seeing any other option.

To turn off vibrate go to Sound Settings and unclick Vibrate.

If you can't get it to work, try taking out your battery to do a reset.

spm488

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of an option to turn on or off a reoccurring notification sound. As far as I am aware it only beeps once for any notification; I'm not seeing any other option.

The G-mail account has the option to only notify once, but the 3 other e-mail accounts I have do not have the option. I would say it is aproximately every minute that it sounds until I read the e-mail.

I do have the vibrate unchecked in the sound setting, but it continues to vibrate. I'll do the battery pull as you suggest and see how that pans out.

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you using 3rd Party software for email? The Gmail app Notify Once isn't for a continuous notification it will just limit to one tone for every check no matter how many emails get sent to your inbox at that time. As far as I am aware the regular Mail app doesn't keep notifiying that you have un read email, at least mine never has. If you are using 3rd Party software from the market this may be a whole different problem. Hope the battery pull works for you.

spm488

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you using 3rd Party software for email? The Gmail app Notify Once isn't for a continuous notification it will just limit to one tone for every check no matter how many emails get sent to your inbox at that time. As far as I am aware the regular Mail app doesn't keep notifiying that you have un read email, at least mine never has. If you are using 3rd Party software from the market this may be a whole different problem. Hope the battery pull works for you.

No, I am using the e-mail software that came with the phone. I have not installed any app's yet for that matter.
That battery pull did not work, still vibrating and ringing. It is very strange, all vibration settings are unchecked on my phone (that I can find anyway), yet the vibration continues...

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
No, I am using the e-mail software that came with the phone. I have not installed any app's yet for that matter.
That battery pull did not work, still vibrating and ringing. It is very strange, all vibration settings are unchecked on my phone (that I can find anyway), yet the vibration continues...

Most apps have notification setting inside the app. Did you make sure to go inside the app and turn vibration off?

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
vibrating

Yes, I am a newbie to this forum and not very tech savy, but I have been searching this forum for the last week to get answers to my questions before I had to bother anyone...no such luck, so here goes:

The recurring notification sound, is there a way to set this phone so it only sounds once? I come home and lay my phone on the kitchen counter. I may come back to it a few hours later and my wife will say "your phone has been going crazy!". Most of the time it is a single message that just keeps sounding (every minute or so I guess) until I acknowledge. I like it to be audible, but just once (my old Treo was capable of this, so I figured this phone must, right?)

Also, I am either an all audible, or all vibration person. I have unchecked every single vibration box I have found on this phone, yet it still vibrates in addition to sound when it rings. I only use vibrate when I am in a meeting, so I just turn the volume all the way down when I don't want sound. What am I missing? How do I get the vibrating to stop!? Thank you for your time.

I'm not sure what phone you had before this...android is not liked blackberry os that has one place to set notification settings. Android has the "sounds" in the main settings menu. Also each app has its own notifications options (generally).

What is constantly notifying you with vibrate? If you tell us what notifications are "going crazy" then we can be more help. Is it specific apps that alert you constantly or is it just one app?

spm488

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
What is constantly notifying you with vibrate? If you tell us what notifications are "going crazy" then we can be more help. Is it specific apps that alert you constantly or is it just one app?
I had a Palm Treo Pro and a Blackberry curve.

It is the incoming phone calls that are vibrating as well as ringing. I have been in the sound settings and unchecked all vibration settings that I found, yet it still vibrates.

As far as the recurring audible alerts, it happens with the e-mails I receive. I do not see any settings in the generals "settings" meu for this and when I go into the e-mail settings for each account, the only setting I see is for a "notification sound", but nothing about only the recurring issue. Could it just be the way this phone is? Maybe most people check their message right away and never noticed this was even happening, but I do tend to let them sit when I am home from work since I am away from my phone.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a Palm Treo Pro and a Blackberry curve.

It is the incoming phone calls that are vibrating as well as ringing. I have been in the sound settings and unchecked all vibration settings that I found, yet it still vibrates.

As far as the recurring audible alerts, it happens with the e-mails I receive. I do not see any settings in the generals "settings" meu for this and when I go into the e-mail settings for each account, the only setting I see is for a "notification sound", but nothing about only the recurring issue. Could it just be the way this phone is? Maybe most people check their message right away and never noticed this was even happening, but I do tend to let them sit when I am home from work since I am away from my phone.

You may have done this but I just want to make sure... from the home screen, [menu] >> [settings] >> [sound] >> in the "general" sections uncheck vibrate / vibration feedback for calls and notifications

So you are using the "Mail" application and not Gmail application right? If you are using the "Mail" app for a non-gmail or work account, then it means the repeated notifications should be that your are getting multiple Emails. Is this the case? From what I can see (I use Gmail for my personal Email and I use Touchdown for my work Email) the only option the "Mail" app has is to toggle the notification on or off as well as toggle ringtone and vibrate alerts on and off. These setting options would lead me to believe that you will get an alert for each Email you receive. I know that the "Gmail" app has an option to "notify once" meaning that if you get 4 new emails it will only notify you once for the 4 incoming rather then notify you of all 4. The "mail" app does not have this option, as you know.

You can always take the phone a Sprint store and have them look at it. I too had a blackberry for my personal phone at one time and I still have a blackberry for work. I miss some of the notification options that blackberry has. I have yet to see any setting unless it's programed into the particular app that controls the notification number of plays as well as controls the 'reminder' notifications.

spm488

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
You may have done this but I just want to make sure... from the home screen, [menu] >> [settings] >> [sound] >> in the "general" sections uncheck vibrate / vibration feedback for calls and notifications

So you are using the "Mail" application and not Gmail application right? If you are using the "Mail" app for a non-gmail or work account, then it means the repeated notifications should be that your are getting multiple Emails. Is this the case? From what I can see (I use Gmail for my personal Email and I use Touchdown for my work Email) the only option the "Mail" app has is to toggle the notification on or off as well as toggle ringtone and vibrate alerts on and off. These setting options would lead me to believe that you will get an alert for each Email you receive. I know that the "Gmail" app has an option to "notify once" meaning that if you get 4 new emails it will only notify you once for the 4 incoming rather then notify you of all 4. The "mail" app does not have this option, as you know.

You can always take the phone a Sprint store and have them look at it. I too had a blackberry for my personal phone at one time and I still have a blackberry for work. I miss some of the notification options that blackberry has. I have yet to see any setting unless it's programed into the particular app that controls the notification number of plays as well as controls the 'reminder' notifications.

Well, I think I am going to have to take your final advice and bother the Sprint Store peeps. I went through all the settings and confirmed there are no vibration features checked, yet it still vibrates. Yes, I use the stock "mail" application, not gmail, for my 4 email accounts which include my work exchange and 3 others. Still getting the repeated sounds until I acknowledge receipt. Guess I could try another app for mail, but since this is a work phone I tend to be hesitant on installing any other apps.

Thanks everyone though for all your help.

avayvonne

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with continuing notification ring until I go to setting and then notifications. This only begun to happen recently, before then phone would ring, on the notification and then stop. Appears to be a clutch somewhere?

kirstenfooz

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Omg me too! I hate it! If someone figures it out please let me know as well.

markb0007

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
YES!! It WORKED. And yeah, why wouldn't this be under "Sound and Notification".....or...."Accounts and Sync" or listed somewhere in the G-mail app. Come on HTC put it in a logical place. This has been bugging me for days!

TurnerMKBeauty

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
OMG!!! Thank you - Thank you!! I bought the new HTC One M9 two weeks ago and it's been driving me crazy! Not to mention my coworkers because even the lowest vibrate is felt on the shared cubical desks. THANK YOU!

zi1

May 15, 2015
Visit site
My HTC One M9 suddenly began to make a gong-like sound combined with vibration. It came once every 14 seconds. I reviewed all the settings and changed what I thought might be the source of it. Of course it did not stop the sound and vibration. I called my carried, T-Mobile, the technician did not understand the problem. He said be could not diagnose it since he did not hear the sound. I went to T-Mobile store. The clerk changed a lot of settings. The sound and vibration stopped for a while and came back. Two clerks kept working on it again for quite some time. It finally stopped. I still didn't know what caused it and how to correct it.

Last edited:

jwo7985

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I just want to say THANK YOU!!!! I have been dealing with the recurring notification reminders for about a year now and could never figure out how to make it stop...You are my hero!!!:D