Buying a used but locked Evo Shift... Unlocking?

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So I've come across a craigslist deal where I can get one of these Shifts at a great deal, the reason being is that the phone is locked and the seller doesn't know the code. To protect myself, I plan on meeting at a Sprint store to confirm the ESN is clear (he claims it he already confirmed with Sprint and from talking with him none of my Spidey Senses tingled, but going to Sprint to confirm) but I'll still need to unlock the phone to use and activate it.

I believe I should simply be able to boot into recovery (vol down + power on this phone, right?) and wipe everything (storage primarily) to restore the factory settings, leaving me with a blank and unlocked phone, is this correct? I'm coming from an LG Optimus but the first thing I did with it is root it and load a custom recovery, so I'm used to being able to wipe dalvik, cache, and data from there - not sure what is available from the stock recovery. I will of course be rooting and installing a custom ROM on this (probably CM7) when I get it.

So if someone can confirm I can just wipe the phone and be good to go, I'm off to pick this up tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think your right. You can go into bootloader (power and volume down) and do a factory reset from there. That should disabled the lock code.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually does sound like a good deal. I am weary of those. LOL

Hopefully he isnt playing dumb and filed an insurance claim on it and shortly down the road your device gets cut off for fraud. Or its a freshly lost / stolen phone and the paperwork hasnt hit the system yet.

I cant imagine someone selling their dievice like that. But then again its CL. LOL

Keep us posted.
I was on CL this morning looking for a Nintendo 3DS..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03