New to HTC Shift out of memory

jjrausch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OK I am new to android, just switched from Palm Pre. I keep getting out of memory every time I try to install a new program. I am aware that there is only 512 MB internal memory. I added a 16 MB SD card and moved all the programs I could to the SD card with App 2 SD program. I do have a few bloat programs that can not be moved such as; Flash, maps and Camera 360, but what is using up the rest of that 400 MB of space?!

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, I have searched and not found anything. Not quite ready to root, or is that my only choice?

jjrausch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well that is certainly a step in the right direction. I now know I have 296 MB of applications, 85.2 MB of system data, 50.1 MB of free space; but what is in that big black hole of 431 MB of data!?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Android Booster, etc.

OK I am new to android, just switched from Palm Pre. I keep getting out of memory every time I try to install a new program. I am aware that there is only 512 MB internal memory. I added a 16 MB SD card and moved all the programs I could to the SD card with App 2 SD program. I do have a few bloat programs that can not be moved such as; Flash, maps and Camera 360, but what is using up the rest of that 400 MB of space?!

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, I have searched and not found anything. Not quite ready to root, or is that my only choice?

Android Market features some very good memory savers. I use a couple that approach it in different ways. Android Booster is excellent, for example. Also, you should make sure you uninstall the apps you don't really need or use, as some run in the background and use up memory AND battery life.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Memory manager

You should also check out Quick App Manager.

jjrausch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips so far! I know what apps are taking up the 297 MB, but can not figure out what is in the System data which is 210MB! I have cleared out all emails and IMs but am still very low on space. Coming from the Pre there was am application called Web Doctor that basically restore your phone to stock. Is there something like that for Android?

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips so far! I know what apps are taking up the 297 MB, but can not figure out what is in the System data which is 210MB! I have cleared out all emails and IMs but am still very low on space. Coming from the Pre there was am application called Web Doctor that basically restore your phone to stock. Is there something like that for Android?

Look for sd card/storage under settings and click on Factory Reset to reset the phone to stock. It will erase all data though.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well that is certainly a step in the right direction. I now know I have 296 MB of applications, 85.2 MB of system data, 50.1 MB of free space; but what is in that big black hole of 431 MB of data!?

for diskusage if you tap the 431mb it'll expand out further to show you what's making up that 431

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa