1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default gingerbread for nonrooted phone soon?

i see that the EVO is supposed to be shipping with 2.3 so i would think the update should be coming. soon for the EVO shift? does anyone know??

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

I would think an update would be coming relatively soon since there has been a leak. This is just a guess but I woukd imagine in the next few months.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    kristi 

My phone is unrooted. Maybe that'll change sometime.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the GB update since it's supposedly better.

I'm wondering, though, what will my phone actually do with Gingerbreat that it doesn't do now? Or what will it do differently?

Just curious. Thanks.
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700
    Thanked by:
    kristi 

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    My phone is unrooted. Maybe that'll change sometime.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the GB update since it's supposedly better.

I'm wondering, though, what will my phone actually do with Gingerbreat that it doesn't do now? Or what will it do differently?

Just curious. Thanks.
    If the update only includes Gingerbread and not the new Sense, you won't see a whole lot of difference in the interface or in what your phone can "do". You will probably see better battery life, things run a little snappier and better power management. Since the Shift has an overlay Sense there won't be a lot of noticeable changes other than performance. If the release also includes the new version of Sense you will notice a lot of changes in the UI.(see the Rooting and ROMs section for some of my screen shots) Just my suspicion, but I would think both would be included in the update.
    Thanked by:
    kristi 

Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    i see that the EVO is supposed to be shipping with 2.3 so i would think the update should be coming. soon for the EVO shift? does anyone know??
    It should arrive in the next few months but you'd be better off rooting and running a custom Gingerbread ROM to get more functionality out of your phone. If your interested try this link here: . Following the instructions will root your phone for you. All you need is a computer and Winzip, which you can find an evaluation trial version online. All you have to do after that is download ROM Manager from the market, flash Clockworkmod Recovery, download a custom ROM from ROM Manager (ie Cyanogenmod 7 or Bnice's ROM), select option to backup current ROM (to restore later if you make an error), then select options to wipe data and caches as you install the custom from the sd card via ROM manager, then you'll be good to go... It seems like it's a lot but once you do it you won't regret it. Better than waiting 2+ months I say. I know AI ran out of patience.

Sent from my Gingerbread HTC Speedy.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

The link is to a youtube video page?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

the EVO gets updated tomorrow so hopefully ours comes real soon!

If the Evo is getting it tommrrow we should be not that far behind correct me if im wrong but the last evo upgrade the shift was a week behind

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

It would be nice to get something for the Shift. I bought the HTC Shift because at the time, it had 2.2 while others still had 2.1. Now the new devices has arrived, along with 2.3. It's time to show some love to the HTC EVO Shift 4g again!

The leaked GB update has a newer Sense, 2.x something. It's nice.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

but dont you have to be rooted to get the leaked GB?

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    but dont you have to be rooted to get the leaked GB?
    Yeah, need root for the leaked version.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    The leaked GB update has a newer Sense, 2.x something. It's nice.
    Not looking good for non-rooted users. The Evo Gingerbread update didn't include Sense 2.1.. We shall see

Reading the EVO forums on Sprint 3-6 june, the EVO release of GB does not include a Sense update. Some are complining that GB is not the latest and is missing some stuff. From the sound of it, we should not be in a hurry to get the update. Let them test it out for us....

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

From what I have read, the reason the EVO didn't get a Sense update is because they are using a 1st generation processor.

1st generation - Sense 1.0
    2nd Generation - Sense 2.0/2.1
    Duel Core - Sense 3.0

As far as bugs, when I was running the initial GB leak for the Shift I didn't run into many bugs, it was actually quite smooth. I'm thinking the official release will be very similar the the leaked version.

Now, I wonder if it's only for unrooted phones, mainly because mine IS rooted. -____-"

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Root shouldn't matter to get the update if you're on the stock Rom, but the update will very likely break Root.

And I can confirm that Sprint is intending to roll out GB soon, b/c when I called to activate my Shift yesterday already-rooted and running CM7 (which I couldn't do b/c the Sprint stuff wasn't there), the tech told me that while he runs CM7 himself, he recommended waiting for the GB update since it was coming for Evo and there's hardly any difference between Evo and Shift.

Now for those of us already on CM7, we'd have to return to stock Rom first to get the update.

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

I don't see the need to get the update if your rooted. A comparable ROM will be available shortly after the official release.

Last edited by crump84; 06-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

Hopefully soon!

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by crump84 View Post
    I don't see the need to get the update if your rooted. A comparable ROM will be available shortly after the official release.

Well, some folks root their phones for the capability to run advanced apps, but don't want to flash a recovery and rom. My wife's LG Optimus is rooted but still running the stock sprint-provided rom.

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock SGSIIE4GT

June 20th estimated Gingerbread release date for the Evo Shift 4G
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    June 20th estimated Gingerbread release date for the Evo Shift 4G
    Just curious, where did you here that date?

Edit: never mind, here's a link

Last edited by crump84; 06-15-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

looks like updates could be pushing out as early as the 17th.. So if your not rooted (or don't mind breaking root) get ready to start checking for an ota.

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock SGSIIE4GT

Default Re: gingerbread for nonrooted phone soon?

Quote Originally Posted by crump84 View Post
    Just curious, where did you here that date?

Edit: never mind, here's a link

A little late, but i heard it from a Sprint higher up....

Default Re: gingerbread for nonrooted phone soon?

I just did the update yesterday. I can't find the option to 'leave a copy of emails on server'. Previously when I received emails there would be a little envelope at the top of the screen, that's gone too, I have email notifications on, not the sound or vibrate tho. My email wasn’t even working for hours after the update was done but finally got that fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions for these 2 things or are they just gone? Thanx

Leslie

Well, the envelope notification is back. Still can't find the check box for leaving a copy on the server tho. I checked that in my Outlook on my computer, just not sure if that will do the trick when I delete them from the phone.
    Last edited by LeslieS; 07-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.