Gingerbread ota is now available!

captg8r

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere else that Twitter needs updating after GB is installed. Check with both the Android and Amazon marketplace apps for updated apps after your install.
I did the update from Android Market, will check Amazon just be sure. That was the first thing I did but it's still not working. It crashes immediately upon opening the app. Thanks for the response.

I've also had a smaller problem with Facebook profile pictures. None of them are syncing to my contacts. I had to go through the whole linking process again with my contact list. That took some time. Facebook profiles are linking to my contacts with Google, however, it's not pulling in profile photos. There's a chance that it will update over time (I kinda remember it taking a while when I first got the phone). I seem to think that there used to be a setting to select the default profile photo universally (i.e. Google or Facebook). I can't find that in Gingerbread now. Memory could be wrong...

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I use TweetCaster Premium for my Twitter and am having no problems with it.

Also, the Sense version, if that matters, is 2.1

sbono13

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the update from Android Market, will check Amazon just be sure. That was the first thing I did but it's still not working. It crashes immediately upon opening the app. Thanks for the response.

There was a new Twitter out today on the Android market. i updated that right after upgrading to Gingerbread, and it immediately started force closing. Uninstalling twitter updates fixed it (reverts back to the v2.0 built into ROM). Then reinstalling the update after a reboot for some reason worked. Who knows.

As for Gingerbread itself, things I noticed and like:

1) recent apps in the notification tray
2) hitting enter with the physical keyboard now clicks a link in the browser! hallalujah!
3) new layout and options in the camera app (which by the way, is a million times better than the stock Gingerbread camera app on my wife's Nexus S 4G)
4) New message button in the mail app (used to drive me crazy that the new message option was in the menu).

Reactions: MonsterMaX3

Obmutescence

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My EVO shift is currently rooted, do I have to return to stock to be able to update? When I downloaded the update and hit install now, it reboots into the picture of a triangle with a yellow question mark in the middle of it and a picture of the android guy.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My EVO shift is currently rooted, do I have to return to stock to be able to update? When I downloaded the update and hit install now, it reboots into the picture of a triangle with a yellow question mark in the middle of it and a picture of the android guy.

I believe you need to be running a stock ROM with bloat. If you have removed/renamed some of the stock apps it will block the update...as I understand it. You can run this
One "zip" RUU-Back to stock
it will bring you completely back to stock with s-off. Shouldn't have any issues updating after that. If you install the update you will lose root..you'll have to wait for a new root method in order to root your phone again, which could be a while considering the size of the Shift community. You could just wait, devs are already working on a stock rooted ROM.

Reactions: piperspace

Obmutescence

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe you need to be running a stock ROM with bloat. If you have removed/renamed some of the stock apps it will block the update...as I understand it. You can run this
One "zip" RUU-Back to stock
it will bring you completely back to stock with s-off. Shouldn't have any issues updating after that. If you install the update you will lose root..you'll have to wait for a new root method in order to root your phone again, which could be a while considering the size of the Shift community. You could just wait, devs are already working on a stock rooted ROM.

Thanks Crump, that's a lot easier than what I found to return to stock :)

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Being rooted shouldn't matter. Try installing the update again. You could also try updating while using the stock ROM.
This will break root btw

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

I am using the stock rom. I know it'll break root. Would the one click root tool still work? And I tried installing it twice. Each time, I got that weird symbol. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. I only waited about 2-3 minutes after the symbol came up to see if anything happened before I had to pull the battery to reboot. Sadness.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am using the stock rom. I know it'll break root. Would the one click root tool still work? And I tried installing it twice. Each time, I got that weird symbol. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. I only waited about 2-3 minutes after the symbol came up to see if anything happened before I had to pull the battery to reboot. Sadness.

Read my above post about returning to Stock..

Also, for anyone rooted, x99 got on the ball and has made a flashable zip of the ota Gingerbread update. No need to break root! I posted a link in the Rooting and ROMs section
  • EVO Shift ROMs & Kernels

Nunook

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the recovery will still work?

Im thinking of doing the OTA, but incase i dont like it. I have my nandroid backup.
Also if someone is using the leaked version do you think it will just update what is necessary?

EDIT: Thanks crump84, and ofcourse x99 is the best.

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Read my above post about returning to Stock..

Also, for anyone rooted, x99 got on the ball and has made a flashable zip of the ota Gingerbread update. No need to break root! I posted a link in the Rooting and ROMs section
  • EVO Shift ROMs & Kernels

• So just to be clear, If I use that custom rom, I can just use titanium to make everything like it is right now? Awesome if that's true.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the recovery will still work?

Im thinking of doing the OTA, but incase i dont like it. I have my nandroid backup.
Also if someone is using the leaked version do you think it will just update what is necessary?

EDIT: Thanks crump84, and ofcourse x99 is the best.

The ota will completely break root... so you will not be able to access clockwork recovery.

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to flashing. I did it once using Clockwork by powering on and pressing volume down. That was to flash a custom kernel. I just undid that by restoring my previous backup. Now I am stock but rooted. What are the steps to install x99's OTA ROM? Do I need to wipe? I don't want to do a factory reset...

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK posted a link a little premature.. The x99's link seems to be broken. I'll put it back up once it's fixed.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm good to go! Put down the update via zip using Clockwork restore and I am now running Android 2.3.3 rooted! This is sweet. Posting this from my Mac over Wireless Tether on my Evo Shift :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez