Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Default Gingerbread ota is now available!

Gingerbread update is now available through manual download.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/comm...erbread-update

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crump84; 06-16-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

did you install it? if so, how is it?

i'm not sure if i wanna give up cm7 for it. and it'll most likely break root.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by edback View Post
    did you install it? if so, how is it?

i'm not sure if i wanna give up cm7 for it. and it'll most likely break root.
    I haven't installed it, don't really want to break root. I'll wait on the devs for a comparable ROM.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Hi. New-ish user. I've rooted my shift, no custom roms (couldn't adjust to cm7 from Sense.) I downloaded the update, but couldn't install it. After my phone rebooted, I just got a triangle with a yellow exclamation point in it, with a tiny android next to it. Is this because I've rooted?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by gene26 View Post
    Hi. New-ish user. I've rooted my shift, no custom roms (couldn't adjust to cm7 from Sense.) I downloaded the update, but couldn't install it. After my phone rebooted, I just got a triangle with a yellow exclamation point in it, with a tiny android next to it. Is this because I've rooted?
    Being rooted shouldn't matter. Try installing the update again. You could also try updating while using the stock ROM.
    This will break root btw

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I installed on a non rooted phone with out issue.

Same, also installed on a non-rooted phone without issue.
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Does all the apps that work in Froyo still work on Gingerbread? Anyone notice in huge differences coming from Froyo?

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

My co-worker just installed it. After reboot, her phone started to re-send old text messages to other recipients, her home page shortcuts to updated apps returned error messages (ex. Gallery), and sending a new text message to a person brings up an old text message instead of a clean page. She was also complaining of other issues with her contacts app...

Very strange....

- X

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post
    My co-worker just installed it. After reboot, her phone started to re-send old text messages to other recipients, her home page shortcuts to updated apps returned error messages (ex. Gallery), and sending a new text message to a person brings up an old text message instead of a clean page. She was also complaining of other issues with her contacts app...

Very strange....

- X
    Oh no. I'm in the process of downloading it over 3g network. It has been over an hour and a half now. I'm on 70 percent.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Anyone else having problems with the Gingerbread update?

Quote Originally Posted by davimich75 View Post
    Oh no. I'm in the process of downloading it over 3g network. It has been over an hour and a half now. I'm on 70 percent.
    It took a good 20 minutes on my work WiFi. I wouldn't recommend downloading an update over 3G for any phone. No issues installing on my non-rooted phone, BTW.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Does all the apps that work in Froyo still work on Gingerbread? Anyone notice in huge differences coming from Froyo?
    Most all apps should be compatible with Gingerbread.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Twitter has completely stopped connecting or working. Twitter for HTC Sense connects and works, just not the official Twitter app.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

getting it now..its taking forever to download

Took me about 20 mins to download over 4G and about 9-10 minutes to install.
    Michael

HTC One

Default Twitter needs updating

Quote Originally Posted by captg8r View Post
    Twitter has completely stopped connecting or working. Twitter for HTC Sense connects and works, just not the official Twitter app.
    I read somewhere else that Twitter needs updating after GB is installed. Check with both the Android and Amazon marketplace apps for updated apps after your install.

Switching on the 4G network makes any downloads super-fast. Unfortunately, I forgot this and was downloading GB in 3G. It was taking forever. I remembered to turn on 4G about 15% into it and it was way over 10 times faster. So, if anyone hasn't downloaded the update yet, make sure you remember to turn 4G on BEFORE you start.

So far, quite a few UI changes.

My 4G wouldn't start up. Not sure if that's related.

Went to restart device and discovered that one of the changes is that holding down the power button now gives a simple 'restart' option that wasn't there before.

Busy at work so only having a few minutes here and there to check the changes.

Upon restart, 4G working fine.
    Michael

HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post

Very strange....

- X
    I had the same problem with the Gallery Shortcut. I just trashed it and put a new one up.
    Tony Anderson
    Jacksonville, FL
    @TonyLibations <---For the Twitterin'

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    I read somewhere else that Twitter needs updating after GB is installed. Check with both the Android and Amazon marketplace apps for updated apps after your install.
    I did the update from Android Market, will check Amazon just be sure. That was the first thing I did but it's still not working. It crashes immediately upon opening the app. Thanks for the response.

I've also had a smaller problem with Facebook profile pictures. None of them are syncing to my contacts. I had to go through the whole linking process again with my contact list. That took some time. Facebook profiles are linking to my contacts with Google, however, it's not pulling in profile photos. There's a chance that it will update over time (I kinda remember it taking a while when I first got the phone). I seem to think that there used to be a setting to select the default profile photo universally (i.e. Google or Facebook). I can't find that in Gingerbread now. Memory could be wrong...

I use TweetCaster Premium for my Twitter and am having no problems with it.

Also, the Sense version, if that matters, is 2.1
    Michael

HTC One

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captg8r View Post
    I did the update from Android Market, will check Amazon just be sure. That was the first thing I did but it's still not working. It crashes immediately upon opening the app. Thanks for the response.
    There was a new Twitter out today on the Android market. i updated that right after upgrading to Gingerbread, and it immediately started force closing. Uninstalling twitter updates fixed it (reverts back to the v2.0 built into ROM). Then reinstalling the update after a reboot for some reason worked. Who knows.

As for Gingerbread itself, things I noticed and like:

1) recent apps in the notification tray
    2) hitting enter with the physical keyboard now clicks a link in the browser! hallalujah!
    3) new layout and options in the camera app (which by the way, is a million times better than the stock Gingerbread camera app on my wife's Nexus S 4G)
    4) New message button in the mail app (used to drive me crazy that the new message option was in the menu).
    Thanked by:

My EVO shift is currently rooted, do I have to return to stock to be able to update? When I downloaded the update and hit install now, it reboots into the picture of a triangle with a yellow question mark in the middle of it and a picture of the android guy.

Installed fine for me ~5min download, 5min or so to install. No auto-texting issues. Non-rooted phone to start w/.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast