Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Drawing apps that take advantage of the scribe fully?

I'm looking for suggestions for apps that take full advantage of the Scribe pen, specifically drawing apps. I've downloaded Quill and Sketchbook Pro but neither use the eraser function and it looks like only Quill takes advantage of the pressure sensitivity.

I know this should probably be in the apps section but who is going to see it there and this is specifically related to the Scribe funtionality.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Drawing apps that take advantage of the scribe fully?

If anyone tries Sketch Pad or Scribble Companion, they are not what you might think. They are not drawing programs. Basically, they are filling the screen with an image of the paper. Then you take a screenshot and start drawing on that using the built in View/Flyer tools. When you save it, it goes to your scribbles folder in the gallery. Your image will have the status bar on there so better to take the screenshot in portrait mode so it takes up less space. I'm basically using it so I can get graph paper to draw on.

Both of these apps need to update their market pages to instruct people with Honeycomb what's going on as it just seems like they don't do anything.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for apps that take full advantage of the Scribe pen, specifically drawing apps. I've downloaded Quill and Sketchbook Pro but neither use the eraser function and it looks like only Quill takes advantage of the pressure sensitivity.

I know this should probably be in the apps section but who is going to see it there and this is specifically related to the Scribe funtionality.
    I too am wondering about this. I like how Quill's fountain pen brush is pressure sensitive, and wondering if any other apps are taking advantage of this ability of the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    If anyone tries Sketch Pad or Scribble Companion, they are not what you might think. They are not drawing programs. Basically, they are filling the screen with an image of the paper. Then you take a screenshot and start drawing on that using the built in View/Flyer tools. When you save it, it goes to your scribbles folder in the gallery. Your image will have the status bar on there so better to take the screenshot in portrait mode so it takes up less space....
    These apps were nice in GB because they gave you some options as far as background choice for your screenshot to scribble on. They still serve the same purpose, but as you said not necessarily "what you might think".

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

I started a similar thread in the Flyer forum (App Scribe/Pen functionality in HC.) hoping to get a definitive list of all apps that support the Scribe hardware beyond what the OS does.
    Covering both forums may give us a better chance of finding out what works.

Autodesk sketchbook pro uses pressure sensitivity... It is a full drawing app as well... Only thing it doesn't use is the eraser function.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
    Autodesk sketchbook pro uses pressure sensitivity... It is a full drawing app as well... Only thing it doesn't use is the eraser function.
    Which pens in the app use the pressure sensitivity? I've got the pro version and didn't see anything different the harder I pressed.

I guess I don't really notice any pen pressure either in sketchbook. Canvas Lite tries to make use of pressure. Does any one know what level of pressure sensitivity the HTC scribe/stylus has?

Go to the market. There is a sketchbook app that is for tablets... It was like $5
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
    Go to the market. There is a sketchbook app that is for tablets... It was like $5
    That's what I have. Guess it doesn't work for me or I'm not doing it right.

For Sketchbook Pro you should be able to go into Preferences and check a box to enable pressure sensitivity. I was able to do this on my lenovo tablet.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by langkata View Post
    For Sketchbook Pro you should be able to go into Preferences and check a box to enable pressure sensitivity. I was able to do this on my lenovo tablet.
    That worked. Of course you have to figure out where the preferences are. Get the toolbars to appear and then hit the "i" icon.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

I downloaded Writepad and have found it useful when taking notes with my Scribe.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's a drawing app if you use Catch Notes. It's an add on and it looks like you have to run it separately from Catch to create a drawing note.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ZXRjaC5odGMiXQ