Can anyone explain the pricing plans?

mantczak

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am confused by the data plans for the EVO view. I live in a 4G city but do not get 4G either at home or at work so I would only need 3G. What would an unlimited data plan cost? I am a premier member. If I drop my current plan phone/data plan and switch to just a tablet with data only would I still retain the premier status since I have been a customer over 10 years?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Basically, EVO View 4G data plan pricing will be the same as current hot spot data plan pricing (except that using the View's built in hot spot software to WiFi tether other devices will cost extra)

Copied and pasted from here: Sprint to Tweak Tablet Data Plans for HTC EVO View 4G Launch

"The HTC EVO View 4G is nearing launch, and it looks like Sprint wants to update their tablet data plans to welcome the 7-inch slate to the family. Pricing for plans includes 1GB at $20 per month, 3GB for $45, and 5GB for $60. A 10GB plan is $90 per month. Interesting enough, the pricing covers 3G data only. Below 3GB of data won?t net you any 4G action, but with a plan priced at $45 per month or more unlimited 4G data is included. Sprint is also selling the plans at discounted ?bundled? prices for existing Sprint customers with current smartphone data plans. Not quite shared data, but at least they?re cutting multi-device users a break."

If you kill your phone with Sprint, you'll stay a Premier customer, but of course won't be able to make phone calls with the View, and will pay full price for the data plan. If you keep your phone, you'll get $10 off.

At home and at work most folks have WiFi available, and WiFi connected to normal internet service is nearly always going to be much faster than 3G service, so you'll want to use it. Since you probably will be using Sprint's service when you aren't at home/work, if you keep the big downloads to WiFi and 4G, you could easily get by with the 3GB 3G / Unlimited 4G plan for $35 a month (assuming you keep your Sprint phone.)

That's the cheapest data plan for a reasonable amount of 3G data on any carrier, and for anyone living in a city with decent 4G coverage (Houston in my case) between the UNLIMITED 4G use and WiFi, I doubt I'll hit more than a few hundred megs of 3G use. Mostly for Google Maps GPS use and email.

It kind of amazes me really, people are so focused on the PEN aspect of the View 4G that they miss out on the three most important things about it:

• It's a 7" device, which means it's not going to sit at home unused all day because it's too heavy and bulky to lug around. Folks will actually carry this with them.
  • It's got a daylight usable screen (according to reviews). Simply don't bother trying to use most tablets, like the iPad, outdoors or even in the car. It's frustrating at best.
  • The data plan is $240 cheaper than competing tablet plans, with UNLIMITED 4G use. That makes the TOTAL 2 year cost of buying it the cheapest tablet/data combo out there. (IAll the plans I've seen less than $35 a month include so little data that they guarantee overages.) If you live in a 4G city, it's the ONLY tablet sold with UNLIMITED mobile data. Say that again folks, UNLIMITED mobile data. No caps, no throttling, for real unlimited.
You don't start with specs or "pens" or whatever when deciding to buy something, you start with how it will be used. If you want a portable tablet to have with you through out your day, the View 4G is the best option, even without Honeycomb or dual core processors.

If you don't plan to use it away from WiFi (Home/Work), then don't forget to consider the WiFi only version, or other tablets. The 2 year 3GB plan adds up to $35*8=$840. No reason to spend that kind of money if you aren't going to use it.

2011-06-13-13h06_11_thumb-550x412.jpg

Reactions: bbroecker

mantczak

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Basically, EVO View 4G data plan pricing will be the same as current hot spot data plan pricing (except that using the View's built in hot spot software to WiFi tether other devices will cost extra)

Copied and pasted from here: Sprint to Tweak Tablet Data Plans for HTC EVO View 4G Launch

"The HTC EVO View 4G is nearing launch, and it looks like Sprint wants to update their tablet data plans to welcome the 7-inch slate to the family. Pricing for plans includes 1GB at $20 per month, 3GB for $45, and 5GB for $60. A 10GB plan is $90 per month. Interesting enough, the pricing covers 3G data only. Below 3GB of data won?t net you any 4G action, but with a plan priced at $45 per month or more unlimited 4G data is included. Sprint is also selling the plans at discounted ?bundled? prices for existing Sprint customers with current smartphone data plans. Not quite shared data, but at least they?re cutting multi-device users a break."

If you kill your phone with Sprint, you'll stay a Premier customer, but of course won't be able to make phone calls with the View, and will pay full price for the data plan. If you keep your phone, you'll get $10 off.

At home and at work most folks have WiFi available, and WiFi connected to normal internet service is nearly always going to be much faster than 3G service, so you'll want to use it. Since you probably will be using Sprint's service when you aren't at home/work, if you keep the big downloads to WiFi and 4G, you could easily get by with the 3GB 3G / Unlimited 4G plan for $35 a month (assuming you keep your Sprint phone.)

That's the cheapest data plan for a reasonable amount of 3G data on any carrier, and for anyone living in a city with decent 4G coverage (Houston in my case) between the UNLIMITED 4G use and WiFi, I doubt I'll hit more than a few hundred megs of 3G use. Mostly for Google Maps GPS use and email.

It kind of amazes me really, people are so focused on the PEN aspect of the View 4G that they miss out on the three most important things about it:

• It's a 7" device, which means it's not going to sit at home unused all day because it's too heavy and bulky to lug around. Folks will actually carry this with them.
  • It's got a daylight usable screen (according to reviews). Simply don't bother trying to use most tablets, like the iPad, outdoors or even in the car. It's frustrating at best.
  • The data plan is $240 cheaper than competing tablet plans, with UNLIMITED 4G use. That makes the TOTAL 2 year cost of buying it the cheapest tablet/data combo out there. (IAll the plans I've seen less than $35 a month include so little data that they guarantee overages.) If you live in a 4G city, it's the ONLY tablet sold with UNLIMITED mobile data. Say that again folks, UNLIMITED mobile data. No caps, no throttling, for real unlimited.
You don't start with specs or "pens" or whatever when deciding to buy something, you start with how it will be used. If you want a portable tablet to have with you through out your day, the View 4G is the best option, even without Honeycomb or dual core processors.

If you don't plan to use it away from WiFi (Home/Work), then don't forget to consider the WiFi only version, or other tablets. The 2 year 3GB plan adds up to $35*8=$840. No reason to spend that kind of money if you aren't going to use it.

2011-06-13-13h06_11_thumb-550x412.jpg
I do not have WIFI at work, just at home. I have been thinking this over and wonder if you think the following plan would work. Can I get the $20 per month plan and then add the Hot Spot to my EVO phone for $30 in the summer months when we travel or camp? Wouldn't that give me unlimited data for only $50 per month? Also, my husband could use the hot spot with his Nook Color.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I think they changed the hotspot feature for the Evo/Evo 3d.... Not sure that it is unlimited anymore...Atleast that is what my Mom told me when she went to put it on her Evo 3d.I am chatting with a sprint rep right now to find out.

rsutoratosu

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the 29.99 hotspot + data or I have to be on a plan + hotspot ? Im looking to add a plan if its not too pricy, I only need 1gb, but would like to hotspot feature..

I use iphone for work and my monthly data usage rarely even hits 1gb per month. Wifi at home, wifi at work..

I mainly uses these guys for traffic reports on the road.. really helpful to determine which bridge to take

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante